When did 10 pounds make a big difference?

Options

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I get that 10 pounds makes a difference in terms of health and it's great to feel the weight with potatoes or other things. My question is at what point did 10 pounds make a difference in terms of your appearance. When did you get down 10 pounds, look in the mirror, and go wow, I only lost 10 pounds?
  • karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I noticed a big difference from 165 to 155
  • dygitalpunk
    dygitalpunk Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The first ten lbs for me means two things:

1. I'm actually serious about this and then tell myself I have to keep going so I don't lose momentum; and,
    2. My clothes that I was wearing too tight or uncomfortable in now fit correctly.

Ditto. .. it took until I lost 20LBS for people to notice but I was noticing that my clothes were fitting better and I had to tighten my belt after the first 10LBS

I am 5'7.25 I started at 222LBS and am currently 195.4LBS
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    karlis87 wrote: »
    I'm 5'7" and I noticed a big difference from 165 to 155

Thanks!! That's what I'm looking for. I know it varies person to person but I was just curious about others experience.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", I started at 220 and dropped down to 180, unfortunately back up to 192 due to getting lax with tracking combined with a stressful stretch of work (i.e. no time for exercise).

I notice a significant difference between how I looked at 180 and how I look at 190. I can barely fit into size 12 pants, the medium shirts that looked fine at 180 are are too tight in the stomach to wear on their own, etc.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'm 5'11 and I think the biggest difference was from 165 to 155. I can't tell a difference between 150 & 142 though. My clothes are smaller, but I can't see it when I look in the mirror. I've never been lower that 142. I started at 193.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I think it is math - whatever percentage of your starting weight is that 10 pounds represents. So the more you lose, the larger percentage that 10 pounds becomes and the more noticeable it becomes.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Right now I can definitely notice a difference even in 5 pounds. Right now I'm around 167 and 5'3". I totally know what you mean, though. When I was in the 200's pretty much for most of the time I felt like I looked the same.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    165 down to 160 (just 5 lbs) was when I first saw a clear physical difference from just a small amount of weightloss. My ribcage on my chest and definition in my arms and shoulders just came out and made themselves really visible.

I began at 287, and don't recall anytime before getting down to 165 where 5 or even 10 lbs of weightloss was so markedly perceptible. Even 20+ lbs difference isn't plainly obvious when I go back through my progress photos. More like 25-30 lbs to see a difference which couldn't be chalked up to good lighting or angles.
    Eta: And I'm 5'6"
  • YokiLenko
    YokiLenko Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My first ten pounds lost I noticed in my legs. My jeans were looser and because I was doing cardio exercises like the elliptical, stationary bike, and treadmill they were more muscular.
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Every 8 pounds is a 1 gallon jug of water at the supermarket. Imagine those each tied to your belt by a string bouncing around all day. I want them gone!
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and currently weight around 265, I've lost 10+ lbs before starting at around 270 and it didn't make much difference at all, but when I was 220ish and got down to around 200 it made a huge difference in my face and the rest of my body slightly. I'm guessing this time it'll take a while to notice, but even really small changes are good news!
  • 2bfit_2016
    2bfit_2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and around 180 my husband could tell a huge change In the way I looked just 10 lbs apart. Now every 5 lbs is making a difference!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    You know how when you are obese, you can lose 10 pounds and not be able to tell at all? At what point did you lose 10 pounds and it make a significant difference?

I lost 30lbs and didnt notice at all. I finally noticed it all at 50lbs loss almost as if the change happened over nightlol
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds, 20 of which has been in the last few months. I can see a difference, though small. I'm really looking forward at what to expect in the next 10-20 pounds. I'm 5'7 and 180 and I'm really curious if 170 will seem bigger than 190 to 180.
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    From 140 to 130. This is when I started to hear quite often that I am too thin. It took me a little while to notice myself, but it was true. Im closer to 140 now and feeling great.
  • dz9412
    dz9412 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and the difference 10 pounds made on the way up was from average to pudgy, with ill-fitting clothes and feeling uncomfortable in my skin. I am now 8 pounds down and while I can tell a difference, I don't think my friends/coworkers have. This is a fun question - I will note how long it takes for someone to notice.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I started losing with MFP at 163 pounds, 5'4". I was overweight, but not so much that 10 lbs didn't make an immediate different.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I recently lost 11 lbs and I first noticed a significant difference at around 7 lbs gone.

That little loss got me comfortably into my size 14 mini skirt (that's UK 14 - not positive what American size that is..10? 12?) which I previously couldn't zip up lol.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You know how when you are obese, you can lose 10 pounds and not be able to tell at all? At what point did you lose 10 pounds and it make a significant difference?

I'm still waiting for 31 lbs to make a difference . . . that's my current weight loss and not a single person has noticed (aside from people who I have told about my dietary changes).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!