What to do when you're hungry enough, not to eat a horse, but the whole stable

Options

Replies

• CSylviaMarie
    CSylviaMarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When was your last meal? Are you eating at correct times? and how many calories do you eat in each meal?

I do eat regularly. I am a night owl, so I will admit I'm often not up in time for breakfast, but I'm trying to get into a regular sleeping pattern. I eat about 1200-1300 calories a day, but not a particular amount per meal.
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options
    @bclarke1990 and @Jaywalker_7 I actually drink a gallon of water a day! I sometimes drink more than that if I've had an active day. I don't want to overdo it with the water consumption though. But you are right Jaywalker I did have to ask myself several times today "okay are your really hungry or are you just being a fattie" lol. I ate my lunch and dinner and 2 snacks and drank a little over a gallon today when I started feeling hungry. I usually have only 1 snack so I indulged a bit.
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options
    @ncfitbit I definitely do not plan my meals! I used to, especially when I was juicing daily, because I would make my juicing packs at the beginning of the week. But I eat pretty consistent, healthy meals still. I think I was just being a fattie today, but I got some great ideas from this post.
  • syrisdarling
    syrisdarling Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When was your last meal? Are you eating at correct times? and how many calories do you eat in each meal?

I do eat regularly. I am a night owl, so I will admit I'm often not up in time for breakfast, but I'm trying to get into a regular sleeping pattern. I eat about 1200-1300 calories a day, but not a particular amount per meal.

Then it will just take some time for your body to adjust to the eating, when I first started I would feel hungry periodically cause my body was used to eating way more than necessary and at horrible times, also remember meals with high protein will keep you fuller longer and as long as you eat every like 4 to 5 hours you should be OK. Also lunch should be your biggest meal of the day don't eat 100 calories at breakfast and lunch and then try to do the rest at night.
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options
    _pragma_ wrote: »
    Everyone is different, but here is my unscientific, anecdotal advice:
    1. Make sure your daily calorie target is reasonable. 85% of your daily energy expenditure is a pretty good target if you are trying to lose weight. Too severe of a deficit is not sustainable for most people and arguably not healthy, but I am not qualified to make that kind of assessment.
    2. Eat to prevent hunger as a strategy; that is, don't wait until you get hungry to eat. For me, this amounts to eating bigger meals each day. I eat around 2 meals per day that clock in between 1000 and 1250 calories. Smaller meals make me cranky. I eat until my appetite is sated.
    3. Making sure I get enough fat intake is very important for me. I find that protein makes me hungrier a lot of the time UNLESS it is attached to some kind fat source like a ribeye.
    4. Cheat days. Having a day dedicated to unadulterated gluttony *feels* like it keeps me in check. This might be purely psychological. At any rate, eating all the things 1 day a week is fun. :)
    5. My biggest tip though is coffee and soup. This might be completely crazy and unscientific, but when I started IF, I found that drinking warm beverages helped alleviate hunger pangs in the morning. I got to the point where I could go about 20 hours without eating pretty easily.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for this advice-rich reply! I indulged with 2 snacks today with the mindframe that I should not wait until I feel ravenous and then binge. I will say my water intake usually has me feeling full, and usually causes me to come under my calorie goal since I am full of liquid lol. I am also really looking forward to my cheat day this Friday. I have a truly glorious, fat day planned and dammit I want those Wendy's fondue fries like NOW! I am not a big meat eater so it is a struggle to incorporate protein into my diet, but I have been successful with having more of it lately and I am definitely going to invest in some protein powder! I had sirloin for dinner tonight though and I feel great haha
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options
    @mrsincredible44 i actually answered a couple of the questions you asked me in the response right above haha! You have a beautiful family and it is super inspiring to see an active, busy mom making time for fitness. I certainly haven o excuse next to you! You reminded me I need to buy some nuts
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options

Then it will just take some time for your body to adjust to the eating, when I first started I would feel hungry periodically cause my body was used to eating way more than necessary and at horrible times, also remember meals with high protein will keep you fuller longer and as long as you eat every like 4 to 5 hours you should be OK. Also lunch should be your biggest meal of the day don't eat 100 calories at breakfast and lunch and then try to do the rest at night.

Great point. I am trying not to eat later than 9. After I get adjusted to that, I will make it a goal not to eat later than 8. Thank you for your input.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Great point. I am trying not to eat later than 9. After I get adjusted to that, I will make it a goal not to eat later than 8. Thank you for your input.

Meal timing does not matter.
  • syrisdarling
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Explain? Do you think its fine to go all day without eating as long as at some point you eat 1200 calories?
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options

It just does not seem like a good idea to eat late at night and then just go lay down. But I am not a fitness coach so I could be wrong.

Oh btw, how much xanthan gum do you put in your protein fluff?
  • arditarose
    Options

Explain? Do you think its fine to go all day without eating as long as at some point you eat 1200 calories?

Yes, that is fine. Some people eat one or two big meals per day. I was referring more to the OPs response about eating at night though. As long as you are in a deficit you will lose, it does not matter if you eat past a certain time.
  • arditarose
    Options

It just does not seem like a good idea to eat late at night and then just go lay down. But I am not a fitness coach so I could be wrong.

If you get acid reflux, then no. Otherwise, eat when you want. I always finish eating about 30 min. before I sleep.

I put 6g of xanthan gum in my fluff.
  • syrisdarling
    Options

Yes, that is fine. Some people eat one or two big meals per day. I was referring more to the OPs response about eating at night though. As long as you are in a deficit you will lose, it does not matter if you eat past a certain time.

Doesnt seem like the healthiest option, its like saying starve yourself until feel hungry than just eat a lot at once, its not just about loosing weight its about have a balanced healthy lifestyle. Besides loosing fat % is way more important than losing weight.
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options

If you get acid reflux, then no. Otherwise, eat when you want. I always finish eating about 30 min. before I sleep.

I put 6g of xanthan gum in my fluff.

Hm..I will have to do more research as to meal timing then. My friend also said it depends on what you eat, which makes sense. Thank you for your input. And I am excited to try this protein fluff.
  • arditarose
    Options

Doesnt seem like the healthiest option, its like saying starve yourself until feel hungry than just eat a lot at once, its not just about loosing weight its about have a balanced healthy lifestyle. Besides loosing fat % is way more important than losing weight.

I'm just saying as long as you're in a deficit you will lose weight. Some people eat most of their calories in a small window during the day. I personally would not eat 1200 calories all at once but this thread literally has nothing to do with that.
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options

This is what I have always heard, but again I do have more research to do as far as fitness. My goal above all is to be healthy, because I figure the weight/fat loss will follow suit. Plus I want to form healthy habits. So often people, especially us women, get so focused on the numbers on the scale that we do anything to lose weight, but learn nothing in the process about a healthy life. I do sometimes get munchy when I stay up late, so a handful of nuts or an apple might be good in that case. Since I'm not up in time for breakfast (lol) I do usually only get two full meals per day with 1 snack
  • syrisdarling
    Options

This is what I have always heard, but again I do have more research to do as far as fitness. My goal above all is to be healthy, because I figure the weight/fat loss will follow suit. Plus I want to form healthy habits. So often people, especially us women, get so focused on the numbers on the scale that we do anything to lose weight, but learn nothing in the process about a healthy life. I do sometimes get munchy when I stay up late, so a handful of nuts or an apple might be good in that case. Since I'm not up in time for breakfast (lol) I do usually only get two full meals per day with 1 snack

Numbers aren't inherently evil, its like getting mad at your thermometer for telling you that you have a fever of 104, and than panicking over that number like it represents who you are. Its what you do with that information that matters. A scale is no different then your thermometer. When loosing my 30 pound I learned that numbers and information are key. Don't follow some fad diet without checking the wiki and always check after what people are saying including me. Wikipedia is your greatest ally ^.^
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options

Numbers aren't inherently evil, its like getting mad at your thermometer for telling you that you have a fever of 104, and than panicking over that number like it represents who you are. Its what you do with that information that matters. A scale is no different then your thermometer. When loosing my 30 pound I learned that numbers and information are key. Don't follow some fad diet without checking the wiki and always check after what people are saying including me. Wikipedia is your greatest ally ^.^

LOL I do love me some Wikipedia! But I definitely do not intend to go the fad diet route! The fad-est I'll get is going low carb tehe. I just want to be healthy and eat clean. Congrats on your 30lb loss....that is great!!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    _pragma_ wrote: »
    Everyone is different, but here is my unscientific advice:

[*] Making sure I get enough fat intake is very important for me. I find that protein makes me hungrier a lot of the time UNLESS it is attached to a ribeye.

Hope this helps. :)

This is what my brain understood from your post LOL I wish all my protein was attached to a ribeye :)

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I think one of the most important things we can do, if we are on a weight loss journey, is to find what works for us as individuals. For example, many people will say to eat many small meals throughout the day or to start the day with a good breakfast. Well, this doesn't work for me. When I wake up and eat, or eat often, I get into a cycle of hunger and cannot stay within my calorie allotment. However, when I skip breakfast and eat my first meal around 2-3 pm, it leaves me with a lot of calories to eat within a short window. I've learned to deal with the early day hunger and actually don't feel hunger on most days anymore. This also means that I often eat until close to bedtime. This has not affected my weight loss.

Anyways, I'm not recommending that people following my eating plan necessarily. I'm only saying that you need to find what works well for you. Btw, 1200-1300 calories may be too low for you. I started with 65 pounds to lose. If I was eating at your levels I would be feeling like I'm starving as well.