Coconut oil!?!?

Options
Does anyone have any experience with using coconut oil? either using it in tea or coffee half an hour before eating to stave off hunger, thus eating less? Or do you cook with it, what are your experiences, the MCT's in it are supposed to be very healthy?

Replies

• Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I cook with it all the time. I'll use it to replace butter or shortening usually. I do this mainly because I love the taste.
  • ntftnm
    ntftnm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i like poping popcorn in it-gives a nice sweet taste. Sometimes I will add it baking, but only in sweets, it really adds a great coconut flavor.
  • Diantha21
    Diantha21 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    that is interesting thanks for your replies, I have had it suggested to add it to porridge, I never thought of vegetable taking on the flavour of coconut, I think I may need to experiment.....thanks
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It doesn't stave off hunger.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    canoepug wrote: »

@canoepug how many tablespoons are you using daily? Drinking coconut oil daily has helped improve my weight and overall health since 2014. Sorry in your case coconut oil didn't stave off hunger like it can do for. others. We are all different when it comes to what foods can do for us.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    A glass of water is another trick to stave off hunger. I add a tbsp of lemon juice. 30 minutes before dinner. 16 oz.
  • canoepug56
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @GaleHawkins I use 6 teaspoons daily.I have in the past used a lot more but never noticed a decrease in appetite.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I like to smear it all over my body and lay in the sun.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I like a little bit in my coffee. I like it on my hair and dry elbows. I put it on my daughters chapped lips. I dont mind the taste of it plain either. I havent really cooked with it yet but its on the list.
  • canoepug56
    Options
    I cleaned and buffed my Doc Marten shoes with it yesterday,they came up a treat.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I use it as a facial moisturizer
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about coconut oil but it is a good fat. The only oils/fats we use for all the typical uses are coconut oil and olive oil.

Be aware there are two entirely different types of coconut oil. We prefer the unrefined version which has a mild coconut taste. The refined coconut oil is bland and has no real taste. Do some research into the refined and unrefined versions and try both to decide for yourself. Our favorite brand is Spectrum which to us seems to be far superior to all other brands we have tried.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

It sure does for me. Since using a little BPC coffee I don't crave the sugary sweet trigger foods. Been two weeks, down 4 pounds, after not losing anything for two months.

I mentioned this in another thread
    Last week I had my normal breakfast and BPC. Took off and drove 650 miles (10 hours), never stopped for food(or the crap that's available along the Interstate). No hunger, no food stops. Nice way to travel.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I like to smear it all over my body and lay in the sun.

I think I got a pic of it

turkey_kramer.jpg
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I use it as a moisturizer everywhere except my face.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I use it to replace other oils in recipes, especially baked goods and pancakes, or a stirfry.

I would never add it to anything to help keep me full, that doesn't work and just makes whatever I'm eating have more calories. It's oil and has the same amount of calories like any other oil. I like to think it's healthier than vegetable oil and it tastes better, too. But as a diet supplement? No.

I do, however, use it on my hair and face. Brilliant.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I think it mixes deliciously with peanut butter to make something that bombs my macros hard. But it's so delicious that I don't care and will fit it in when I can/want/need.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use it for a million different things outside of the kitchen (eye makeup remover, moisturizer, diaper cream, chapstick, on cuts/scrapes/burns, etc.) but use it a lot with cooking and baking as well. I always stir it into our warm oatmeal, and frequently use it as a replacement for vegetable/canola oil or butter when baking. I've used it with some veggies, but most often sweet potatoes.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins I use 6 teaspoons daily.I have in the past used a lot more but never noticed a decrease in appetite.

@canoepug after your reply and trying to remember back I was wrong. While I did get on coconut oil in Aug 2014 but it was not until I cut out all grains and most all sugars Oct 2014 and the cravings left in Nov 2014 and have not returned.

Basically in 2014 dropped my carb calories to <50 grams daily and used fats to replace the carb calories that I cut out.

In hindsight like you heavy use of coconut oil did NOT stop my carb cravings but cutting out most all carbs did kill my cravings for carbs within about 30 days and in the same time window my joint and muscle pain fell from a 7-8 level to 2-3 and still is low Jan 2016. I do think the coconut oil helped cure my IBS but I was doing so much improvements eating wise I can not be sure what helped what. :)

I never plan to give up coconut oil use because of the MCT oil it contains.
  • kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've found it useful when I go low carb and use fat instead for energy