What's your favorite way to eat canned tuna?

Options
Khovde07
Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
I love using canned tuna for a quick meal, but coming up with recipes is difficult. I usually make a tuna melt (plain with some cheese) or tuna hotdish (noodles, peas, little cheese). I hate tuna salad sandwiches, which seems to be the only thing I can find. Also, I prefer to eat it hot. Cold canned tuna is weird to me.

What's your favorite way to eat the stuff?

Replies

• tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i can't stand tuna, but i make tuna patties for my husband. mix 1 can tuna with 1 egg, and enough bread crumbs to hold a patty together. add whatever spices you want. form into patties and pan fry.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I add tuna to my salad a few times a week.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Starkist tuna creation pouches? I particularly love the sweet and spicy, hickory smoked and ranch flavors. It so delicious (and so different from canned tuna IMO), that you don't need to do much to it. I just like to put it on whole wheat crackers.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Mix with avocado, hard boiled egg and cherry tomatoes (halved), or any combination of the three. Sometimes I throw in a spoon of Greek Yogurt. Also add salt and pepper or cayenne pepper.

You can make a nice tuna salad with lemon, olive oil and fresh chopped basil. That is good on crackers or a bed of greens. Also, a tuna nicoise salad is nice and can be made with grilled or canned tuna, although I would probably use albacore.

Sorry, I missed that you like it hot. My mom used to make creamed tuna on toast when we were kids, but I'm pretty sure it's not too low in calories.

http://www.food.com/recipe/creamed-tuna-on-toast-21497
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just like it with miracle whip and celery on crackers. It's one of my absolute favorite things.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Feed it to my cats.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    like the cat, straight out of the can
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Avacado, lime juice, a little salt and red onions. Plain, sandwich, with crackers.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Tuna Divan - arrange thawed broccoli in a baking dish. Top with drained tuna. Mix cream of chicken soup and 1/3 c. milk. Pour over tuna. Sprinkle with parmesan (or cheddar) cheese. Bake 20 minutes @ 350° I like to sprinkle it with a few chow mien noodles 5 minutes before it's done.

• Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat it straight from the can. If I cook it on the stove top long enough, it tastes like salmon.
  • ladyu
    ladyu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    tuna on toast with Avocado
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just ate a tuna sandwich for breakfast and was going to start a thread just like this to get some ideas for something other than tuna with mayo! Perfect timing :smiley:

@lporter229 all of your suggestions (except creamed tuna) sound amazing! Now I know how I'm going to use the avocado I bought yesterday!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try Tuna Puttenensca. Rachael Ray has a pasta bake recipe. I just make the sauce and serve it over spaghetti or spaghetti squash. It can be as spicy as you like. Sounds strange tuna in pasta sauce but it is very good not fishy.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/tuna-puttanesca-spaghetti-squash.html

Tuna%2BPuttenesca%2BSpaghetti%2BSquash2.jpg
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Next week I plan to make a penne dish with broccoli slaw, tuna, and a homemade tomato sauce. With parmesan, of course.

While cutting, I'll take 1.5 oz elbow noodles + 2.6oz pouch of tuna + 1 tablespoon reduced fat parmesan + spray butter and pair it with some fruit for lunch. It sounds like a sad meal to me now that I'm bulking, but it was one of my favorites when my macros were a lot lower.

I've never tried the pan fried tuna patties, but I definitely plan to once I'm forced to cut again.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    like the cat, straight out of the can

Mostly. But I use a fork ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't care much for canned tuna save for tuna salad in sandwiches and tuna/noodle casserole. I used canned salmon to make a bisque and chowder.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    OP, I know you said you don't like to eat it cold, but I discovered on accident that tuna mixed in with cottage cheese is yummy! It sounds kind of gross, but I love it. It's a protein bomb!
  • nonrg
    nonrg Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    mix 1/4 tsp Dijon, garlic powder and basil with the canned tuna. Eat with Olive oil and Dill Triscuits, with a chunk of avocado on each cracker.

Fiber, Protein and healthy Fat covered!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like it on a cracker with hot sauce, or mixed up with some mustard, black beans, and onions. Yum!