Weight loss for the vertically challenged

Options
I am 5' 1" and trying to loose about 10 pounds. For 6 weeks now, I have been holding steady. I do a spin bike, snowshoe, lift, do intense yoga and hike. I can't figure out how to budge the scale. I eat about 1200 calories a day which should be plenty for my height.

Any other short women out there have any tips? I feel that if there we a world famine, I would be the survivor because I would probably gain weight!

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen but how closely are you weighing and logging?
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. I log my food on a different system that is easier to use. I track my exercise closely with MFP. In the last week, I have exercised a ton, high intensity, sweating bullets, heavy weights, muscles sore, and I have actually gained weight. I haven't eaten more than 1400 on any day, and usually come in around 1200. Given I am burning at least 500 extra calories a day, I should lose.

I eat almost no sugar, no gluten, no corn products, no packaged foods, lots of fiber, whole fruit, protein from fish, peanut butter, nuts, egg whites and a small amount of cheese. I make 99% of the food I eat at home. Last night I made a spring roll with lettuce, carrots, zucchini, and 3 small boiled shrimp. That and some unsweetened tea was dinner. How can I gain weight on that?

I am really frustrated.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    grace42d wrote: »
    I weigh in every morning. I log my food on a different system that is easier to use. I track my exercise closely with MFP. In the last week, I have exercised a ton, high intensity, sweating bullets, heavy weights, muscles sore, and I have actually gained weight. I haven't eaten more than 1400 on any day, and usually come in around 1200. Given I am burning at least 500 extra calories a day, I should lose.

I eat almost no sugar, no gluten, no corn products, no packaged foods, lots of fiber, whole fruit, protein from fish, peanut butter, nuts, egg whites and a small amount of cheese. I make 99% of the food I eat at home. Last night I made a spring roll with lettuce, carrots, zucchini, and 3 small boiled shrimp. That and some unsweetened tea was dinner. How can I gain weight on that?

I am really frustrated.

1. Are you weighing your food on a digital food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think. Someone will be along to post videos of this.
    2. When you kick up your activity level, your body can retain water. When I started lifting weights last fall, my weight shot up seven pounds, and then came back down.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 1" and trying to loose about 10 pounds. For 6 weeks now, I have been holding steady. I do a spin bike, snowshoe, lift, do intense yoga and hike. I can't figure out how to budge the scale. I eat about 1200 calories a day which should be plenty for my height.

Any other short women out there have any tips? I feel that if there we a world famine, I would be the survivor because I would probably gain weight!

But doesn't sound like enough for your activity level.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Read these ^^^
  • Kazzabob
    Kazzabob Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree it may be that you're not eating enough?? Also have you measured yourself recently? Are clothes fitting better? It may be that you're gaining muscle so your shape is changing?? Just a thought.
  • grace42d
    Options
    Very very interesting. I liked the point that the less you weigh, the less wiggle room you have. That makes a lot of sense and kind of explains why I lost the first 12 pounds easily, then stalled. I also do snack, I try to measure my snacks, but that is probably what is getting me in the long run. That and my size also means I burn less. If you do an exercise to 30 minutes and burn 300 calories, I do the same thing and burn 150.

Thanks all. I will find a digital scale and start weighing my food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    shabaity wrote: »
    Plateaus happen but how closely are you weighing and logging?
    Plateaus are rare. It usually comes down to incorrect intake for energy being expended.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options

I am really frustrated.
    And how much do you weigh? And what's your physique like? Are you muscular?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kqlehman
    kqlehman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are within a normal BMI already, I would switch from measuring pounds to measuring body fat %. Also, you could be getting your period.
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't really have anything to add but I read vertically challenged and immediately thought "horizontal running"(pitch perfect) xD
  • jamahsan
    jamahsan Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi!! I am also vertically challenged at 5'0"! I recently moved to a new state and wasn't able to continue the classes I had been taking. I also moved to a vacation spot, so we have a lot more friends visiting which in turn I became more relaxed on my food and drinking. Since April of 2014 I have put on eight pounds.

I am committed to losing the weight, and actually have a pretty good recipe of what works for me. I lost 15 lbs a couple years ago.

I found that in the past when I did super intense workouts, my body held on to weight. Once I stopped doing boot camp and CrossFit like workouts and instead did Zumba, Barre classes and yoga the weight started falling off.

I also own a loose leaf tea company, and have concocted some awesome herbal blends that help quite a bit. Besides that I brew my own kombucha and found that it helped my weight loss, I think it is due to the healthy bacteria cleansing my intestines.

My biggest mistakes:
    - following a high protein and fat diet. That is when the weight came back on. I was strict on Bulletproof for a month and put on 5lbs. This was May 2015.
    - drinking alcohol. Even in moderation, my body holds onto weight. For a couple months this summer we partied quite a bit, & I gained another three pounds. I haven't drank alcohol in nearly 4 months (except 1 week of celebrating with friends).
    - there are my 8 pounds.

I am down 1.5lbs this week. I found some really good classes that involve light weight training. & I have been logging everything, and eating mostly a Mediterranean type diet. I drink loads of tea. I am also trying to keep my sugar grams under 30.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought you might want to hear from another little lady!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jamahsan wrote: »
    Hi!! I am also vertically challenged at 5'0"! I recently moved to a new state and wasn't able to continue the classes I had been taking. I also moved to a vacation spot, so we have a lot more friends visiting which in turn I became more relaxed on my food and drinking. Since April of 2014 I have put on eight pounds.

I am committed to losing the weight, and actually have a pretty good recipe of what works for me. I lost 15 lbs a couple years ago.

I found that in the past when I did super intense workouts, my body held on to weight. Once I stopped doing boot camp and CrossFit like workouts and instead did Zumba, Barre classes and yoga the weight started falling off.

I also own a loose leaf tea company, and have concocted some awesome herbal blends that help quite a bit. Besides that I brew my own kombucha and found that it helped my weight loss, I think it is due to the healthy bacteria cleansing my intestines.

My biggest mistakes:
    - following a high protein and fat diet. That is when the weight came back on. I was strict on Bulletproof for a month and put on 5lbs. This was May 2014.
    - drinking alcohol. Even in moderation, my body holds onto weight. For a couple months this summer we partied quite a bit, & I gained another three pounds. I haven't drank alcohol in nearly 4 months (except 1 week of celebrating with friends).

- there are my 8 pounds.

I am down 1.5lbs this week. I found some really good classes that involve light weight training. & I have been logging everything, and eating mostly a Mediterranean type diet. I drink loads of tea. I am also trying to keep my sugar grams under 30.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought you might want to hear from another little lady!

I'm not trying to be rude, but everything I've bolded in your post has nothing to do with weight gain/loss. High intensity workouts can cause water retention as your muscles repair, but they do not cause weight gain nor do they cause the body to "hold onto weight". Tea does not cause weight loss, but teas made with certain ingredients can be diuretics and show a temporary "loss".

You didn't gain weight because you ate high protein/high fat or drank alcohol. You gained weight because you were eating more calories than you burned. That is very easy to do with a high fat diet. Alcohol is usually high in calories as well.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I am really frustrated.

1. Are you weighing your food on a digital food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think. Someone will be along to post videos of this.
    2. When you kick up your activity level, your body can retain water. When I started lifting weights last fall, my weight shot up seven pounds, and then came back down.

I agree. You could be retaining water from the increased activity.
  • grace42d
    Options
    kqlehman wrote: »
    If you are within a normal BMI already, I would switch from measuring pounds to measuring body fat %. Also, you could be getting your period.

Those were the days :smile: But that ship has sailed.

My pants are falling off me. Soon I will have to start shopping in the girls department. I can get some cool low-rise jeans with pink hearts embroidered on them. That will look great on a little partially grey-haired woman! The biggest difference I have noticed is 1) my arms look waaaaay more toned 2) my belly fat is now only around my belly button and almost none on the sides 3) I am feeling very fit. I did the arm balance 'side crow' the other day!

I won't say how much I weigh. Anyone over 5'1" will never understand that the number is healthy. Thanks for everyone's support! I have new motivation.
  • grace42d
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

I am really frustrated.
    And how much do you weigh? And what's your physique like? Are you muscular?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I am a mesomorph. I have a very good strength to weight ratio.
  • plaidbear47
    plaidbear47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So what was the solution? The food scale? I'm 5'1.5" so even a couple pounds changes how I look and feel, too. I have a digital food scale, and have used it every day for at least 6 months. I'm just trying to trim the abs, back and thighs out a bit..probably an 8 lb loss. What ultimately worked for you?
  • grace42d
    Options
    The way I was able to lose the first 12 pounds was giving up gluten, eliminating as much sugar as possible, learning yoga, and working out 1-2 hours every day at high intensity (spin, snowshoe, walk, swim, FitnessBlender.com). Yoga has been fantastic for building strength and toning.