How I Learned To Like Cardio

Options
Colorscheme
Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I see a lot of questions like: "how do I get started with cardio?" "how will my body handle it if I am overweight?"

Well, the answer is: start slow!

Back in August, I bought a Fitbit for my birthday. At the same time, I started doing Leslie Sansone's walking videos indoors. I started with the one mile walk once a day. After 3 months, I found that I had more stamina and started doing them twice a day. Did that for a bit, then progressed to Leslie's HIIT workout. Did that and one day started jogging and voila! Now I like running and I do it all indoors as I am a full time stay at home and I don't have a car so I couldn't go to the gym even if I wanted to.

I also do it in front of my tv so it doesn't even feel like a workout.

Now, if you have a pre existing condition, are very overweight or obese, then get the all clear from your doctor and start slow. Walk slowly for a couple of minutes if that's all you can manage. If you're in pain, STOP. If you need to take breaks, do so. Whatever gets you up and moving is great, even if it's only for a little bit. Eventually you will build stamina and be able to accomplish anything.

Replies

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You know "cardio bunny" is a derogatory term?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I am glad I am not the only one who that.
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    Options

It is?? I had no idea. I though it meant someone who doesn't hate running or jogging. Oops. I'll change the title. Thanks for letting me know.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I was about to report this post for it! Sheesh!
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Ok well I had no idea that it was even a bad thing, like I said, I thought the term meant something else completely. I don't even go to the gym so how am I supposed to know otherwise? Luckily someone else pointed it out so I changed the thread title.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

EVERYONE TO THEIR SAFE SPACE!!!

1002373-10207761361336432-1811231467032770714-n-2167616207.jpg
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    I want to ask where the derogatory term comes from, becuase I am clearly oblivious and only realized the title of the thread was bad when someone pointed it out. Is it a new thing? or maybe at the ripe old age of 31, I'm over the hill and unable to keep up with trends.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Guys, it's okay: she's taking it back!
    ra,womens_tshirt,x3104,red,front-c,650,630,900,975-bg,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

PDVD_016.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I want to ask where the derogatory term comes from, becuase I am clearly oblivious and only realized the title of the thread was bad when someone pointed it out. Is it a new thing? or maybe at the ripe old age of 31, I'm over the hill and unable to keep up with trends.

As far as I can tell, it's basically people referring to girls (very rarely guys) who only show up and run on the treadmill on the gym and don't do weights or anything. But honestly, people should do whatever they want at the gym. So it's a derogatory term created by judgmental people who don't have better things to think about.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Seriously? It's not a complimentary term but it doesn't exactly arise to the level of "OMG I can't believe she said the CB words" level.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    edited January 2016
    Options

So part of it is the 80-90's obsession with heavy cardio, especially for women. Basically the idea that if women wanted to not "bulk up" they better stick to 1-2 weights and sweating their buns off on the treadmill.

Usually when somebody calls themselves a cardio bunny, they are referring to the past before they integrated strength training into their workouts, when they were relying solely on cardio to get their desired body.

I am 100% not knocking cardio. I run. Slowly, but I run.

ETA: I have just never seen it used in a positive way -- I wouldn't have reported the thread for it of anything, clearly you meant it positively.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

So part of it is the 80-90's obsession with heavy cardio, especially for women. Basically the idea that if women wanted to not "bulk up" they better stick to 1-2 weights and sweating their buns off on the treadmill.

Usually when somebody calls themselves a cardio bunny, they are referring to the past before they integrated strength training into their workouts, when they were relying solely on cardio to get their desired body.

Oooooh, okay. Thanks. I really had no idea, I was a little kid in the eighties and a tween/teenager in the nineties. Thank goodness someone upthread pointed it out.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm a proud cardio bunny. Call me that, and even if you mean it negatively, I won't be offended. Mostly because I don't care what anyone else thinks of me. :-)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    I'm a proud cardio bunny. Call me that, and even if you mean it negatively, I won't be offended. Mostly because I don't care what anyone else thinks of me. :-)

tumblr_m6o6vyTpwT1rqervt.gif
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    Options

Awww, the bunny in the gif is so cute!
    /proud rabbit owner.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

ETA: I have just never seen it used in a positive way -- I wouldn't have reported the thread for it of anything, clearly you meant it positively.

i constantly call myself a cardio bunny
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Options

/proud rabbit owner.

That would explain it, maybe rabbits are your spirit animal.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

/proud rabbit owner.

That would explain it, maybe rabbits are your spirit animal.

Ahahaha, maybe! I have two lops and a Netherland dwarf, they are awesome and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. Plus, they're litter trained like a cat.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

i constantly call myself a cardio bunny

Do you even triathlon?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I AM THE CARDIO QUEEN!!! WHAT A GREAT HIGH!!!! LOVE IT!