Flat foot runners

Has anyone who suffers from flat feet or collapsed arches been able to run a half marathon or marathon? How did you work around the inevitable shin splints, plantars fascitis, and other forms of tendinitis often associated with overpronation caused by flat feet and running? Did you strength train first or did you just cave and get expensive orthotics or just buy really great stability shoes?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    I have plantar and I do stretching ex's every single night for 5 minutes. I'm not a runner. But if I don't ex, I will feel the pain the next day. I bought a splinter from CVS ace brand and switch feet every night (20 mins). I bought thick insoles for plantar at walmart for my shoes (leave thin ones alone). Loosing weight is seriously helping. Thank you MFP. Thank you.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    I found out the hard way by pulling my achilies tendon, something I definitely wouldn't recommend!! I went to a running shop to get my gait assessed. Found out exactly what trainers I needed and then scoured the internet to find them at a better price! Think I got them for about £50 in the end - reduced as they were end of line.

I have/had to build up really slowly and followed a program e.g. c25k, but this is also associated to my knees. Even if I felt physically fit enough to keep going I stuck to my program and have successfully done half marathons!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    edited January 2016
    If you're interested in running a half marathon or marathon, I would definitely recommend that you get fitted for shoes (and possibly inserts) at a running store. While $150-$250 seems like a lot of money, it will save you from future pain and medical bills.

ETA: If you do go to a store to get your shoes fitted, please buy the shoes there. Don't waste the time of the employee if you're not interested in purchasing the shoes from them. You can order your next pair online.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Thanks for the tips! I just bought the Saucony Stabil's that have helped a lot but I was curious if it was even possible to run a half marathon or marathon with flat feet. Trying to C25K even when I feel like I can do more may be the ticket now that I have the shoes plus daily stretches.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Buy good shoes. I have done 1 ultra marathon 4 marathons and dozens of half marathons. The shoes that I buy are usually $150 a pair and I go through them in 2.5 - 3.5 months or so (400 miles).

Yes they are expensive,
    I run a lot more then the average person so you should get some more life out of them,
    What acheben said too about sums it up!

Good luck on your shoe purchase. Hope they work for you!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Jbarbo01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips! I just bought the Saucony Stabil's that have helped a lot but I was curious if it was even possible to run a half marathon or marathon with flat feet. Trying to C25K even when I feel like I can do more may be the ticket now that I have the shoes plus daily stretches.

How comfy are the Stabils? I wear Saucony Guide 7 or 8 (perfer the 7s but they're hard to come by these days) but they've been hitting my ankle a lot lately and hitting my arch in the wrong spot at times.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    For my overprontation, nothing has worked better than the Saucony Stabils. I've tried Brooks, Asics, etc and Saucony Stabil have been the best so far in preventing my foot from rolling in. They are definitely worth a try. I will warn they look fairly ridiculous...worth it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    The inserts I have are about $900, but so worth it. About 10 years ago my insurance started covering them! The hardest part, I think, is finding a running shoe that works with inserts.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Jbarbo01 wrote: »
    For my overprontation, nothing has worked better than the Saucony Stabils. I've tried Brooks, Asics, etc and Saucony Stabil have been the best so far in preventing my foot from rolling in. They are definitely worth a try. I will warn they look fairly ridiculous...worth it.

I just took a quick peek on amazon. They look normal to me! :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Stretch, stretch, stretch! I've had reconstructive surgery to fix collapsed arches, and will probably never be able to run again but previously stretching helped. If your insurance covers orthotics or PT, get them. Also - Asics are the best shoes!
  • haleylhagin
    haleylhagin Posts: 6 Member
    SUPERFEET!!!! I have a pair in my trail shoes, gym shoes, high heels, casual flats, work flats, and have 3 pairs of their orthotic sandals (they aren't as ugly as you are picturing them right now). You can check out their website to see the different types of insoles they offer, but I would recommend calling their customer care department and getting a recommendation on what to order.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I bought shoes specifically for flat feet. The only ones I have found that work for me are New Balance. I have tried every other brand and I always regret it. So long as I wear NB I don't get shin splints or PF at all. I actually really wanted the brooks or saucony but could not make them work. I just recently needed to replace my shoes and went through 3 different pairs before going back to NB again (anyone want to buy a pair of Nikes that were used twice?). I did get custom orthotics done by my chiro and they are a HUGE help and are slowly helping to rebuild my arch but it is a s.l.o.w process. When I was fitted for my NB shoes years and years ago I was told I had what they call a "negative" arch (not sure how that's possible!). I also overpronate and the NB handled that perfectly. When I get shin splints again I know it's time for another pair of shoes and a change in my orthotics.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I was suffering hip tendonitis.

I got orthotics, and also the shoes my podiatrist and physio recommended.

The shoes they recommend for flat feet are:

Brooks Adrenaline
    Brooks Ravenna
    Asics Kayano
    Asics GT 2000

I got one each of the Asics, and have had no other issues. Love my Asics and orthotics!