Hypothyroid weight loss?

Options
Hey all,

I'm newly diagnosed hypothyroid, and I've been on synthroid since March. I've seen some positive changes in myself (more energy, less cold all the time), and while I've lost a few pounds since getting on it, my weight loss has definitely not improved much.

Anyone have a similar experience, and have any suggestions of ways to boost your weight loss? I read that it can be tricky combining synthroid with drugs like Alli, and I'm not a fan of taking pills anyway, so I'm mostly looking for more natural ways to help, and feedback from people who have gone through this as well. I apologize if this has already been discussed at length, I'm pretty new to the boards!

Thanks!
Kelly

Replies

• cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kelly!! I am hypothyroid as well. I have found zig zagging my calories has helped. I also workout 6x a week. Lots of high cardio. I did Insanity and recently completed that. I didn't see the scale move much, but lost a ton of inches. I know also being hypothyroid, I have bowel movement issues (sorry TMI), so I have to take Miralax every other day to help with that. :blushing:

Make sure you are taking your meds as directed, empty stomach with lots of water and wait 1/2 hour before you eat. Its good you are not into take fat burners or anything like it, as your thyroid meds will interfere with those and they won't work. Keeping your metabolism high and going throughout the day is key!!

Good luck on your weight loss journey. :happy:
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    No fake sugars and if you dont buy organic, wash all your produce in a vinegar/water wash. Eat something every few hours to help keep your metabolism up.
  • jducharme2
    Options
    Give your thyroid medicine a chance to help balance you out. If you have questions ask your doctor. I would not use the Alli. I tried it and I did loose some weight but at a big cost. I have horrible leg craps, and tingling in my arms and legs. I have been doing really well just counting calories and changing eating habits. I am not hypothyroid, but I work with many patients that do. Getting the medicine balanced can be tricky.
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid, I thought that once on medication weight would fall off.... it didn't, I had to diet and exercise.

My current experience is that low fat low carb and no processed food is best combination.....
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I am hypothyroid too. I found out in 2008 and I have had 2 babies since then so I really didn't see any weight loss until I weaned my second in January. I am doing the low calorie diet with lots of protein and fiber. I don't think thyroid weight comes off as easily as it goes on, but not that I woucl have noticed considering I got pregnant 10 days after starting the meds.
  • kellyjeanb
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I've seen the low carb suggestion in articles, but I'm a vegetarian. I do limit my carbs (usually have a slice of whole grain with breakfast and lunch, and only sometimes a small serving at dinner), but I can't see myself cutting them out completely... but do they really make a big difference for us hypothyroid people?
  • KrisLee223
    KrisLee223 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about a year ago shortly after I had my third child. I was moody, had put on about 30lbs, and had absolutely NO energy. I've been on synthroid for almost a year, and have had one heck of a time losing the weight. It sucks, but you have a work twice as hard as the average person to lose weight. I've found that cutting carbs and adding extra protein helps alot. Anyway, I'm here for support:)
  • MaggieBustos
    Options
    I agree with you all, having hypothyroid is very hard especially loosing weight. There are days I just feel so tiered I don't feel like I have energy to work out. There are days I feel like I do have energy and I can do more... I have tried the Atkins diet and lost 25 pounds but then I started working at a Head Start and unfortunatly I gained 10 pounds. So I am on vacation and I would like to loose more weight this summer.
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    Bumping this-I have no suggestions, but was diagnosed with Hypothyroid around Christmas, so I am fairly new to this as well. Good luck to all of us with this darned thyroid issue!!!
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I know also being hypothyroid, I have bowel movement issues (sorry TMI), so I have to take Miralax every other day to help with that. :blushing:

You too?? Sheesh...I have the same problem as well. Im going to have to give the Miralax a try then. I think it was my difficulty to poo (yes, some more TMI! lol) that caused my Diverticulitis. It was the worst pain I have experienced and that includes giving birth to babies that were over 9, 10, and 11 lbs!! I have to ask though, taking Miralax, well.....hmmm...it doesn't hit you like all of a sudden and in inconvenient places, does it?
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump -- I recently had tests done with my family doc and found that I have an over active thyroid--but I seem to have a lot of hypothyroid symptoms. I'm actually seeing an endocrinologist next week, so I'm hoping that will help. My family doc thought I should wait, wasn't too worried, but my Mom and a few cousins have thyroid issues, so I don't want to mess around with this stuff. I am very hesitant about taking medication. . . have to see what happens next week with it all.
  • bubbles1791
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I've had hypothyroidism since I was 8, and have been on Synthroid since then. Its not a magic weightloss pill, and you shouldn't expect that. What I noticed, and what everyone else noticed is that after I started Synthroid, that the weight redistributes into much less awkward places and often turns into more muscle. And the important thing about Synthoid is that it helps with the constant exhaustion and coldness, so the weightloss is actually because you finally don't feel tired and cold all the time, so you work out more, you're more active, and THEN you start losing weight.

I get REALLY dizzy if I take any sort of metabolism booster (in pill form), so I would suggest against anything like that, but other than that just eat healthy and take advantage of all of the extra energy you have now!

So good luck! And DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR SYNTHROID. You may think its an itty-bitty pill, it can't be that important, but you'll feel like ****. So just do it.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid, I thought that once on medication weight would fall off.... it didn't, I had to diet and exercise.

I expected the same, but nope, weight did not come off by itself. I can't say whether it's more difficult to lose weight being hypothyroid because I've never tried before. What I do know is that in these past 11 years since the diagnosis I've steadily put on all the extra weight that I have, yet without working out and watching what I eat, what can I expect?

Just make sure to take the pill, do your 6-month check-ups and hopefully you'll be able to find the correct dose for yourself.

I personally prefer to mess around with other pills. Having a healthy thyroid is super important, so I avoid things that could potentially interfere with it.

PS: here in France, they recommend that you wait for at least 45 mins/ideally 1 hour before having breaksfast.

Good luck!
  • lannahgirl
    lannahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just found out last month, I work out and "try" to eat right but the scale goes up & down, not sure if my meds are right since these are the 1st one's myself think they need adjusting...............glad to see i'm not alone!
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

PS: here in France, they recommend that you wait for at least 45 mins/ideally 1 hour before having breaksfast.

Good luck!

On my bottle, it says to take in the morning, on an empty stomach, wait 1 hour before having something to eat, and 4 hours before you can take an antacids, iron, or a vitamin/mineral supplements.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I know also being hypothyroid, I have bowel movement issues (sorry TMI), so I have to take Miralax every other day to help with that. :blushing:

You too?? Sheesh...I have the same problem as well. Im going to have to give the Miralax a try then. I think it was my difficulty to poo (yes, some more TMI! lol) that caused my Diverticulitis. It was the worst pain I have experienced and that includes giving birth to babies that were over 9, 10, and 11 lbs!! I have to ask though, taking Miralax, well.....hmmm...it doesn't hit you like all of a sudden and in inconvenient places, does it?

Oh No!! Miralax doesn't make you cramp, make you run to the bathroom, or "pee out of the backside" :noway: like Ex-lax or other laxatives. I take it in the morning and normally have a good "release" later in the evening or next morning. :blushing: You should go to Miralax.com and print off a $2.00 - $3.00 coupon.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just went to the endocrinologist for the first time yesterday about my recent thyroid numbers. I was hoping she would send me home with no problems, but it turns out I have a nodule on my thyroid. So I'm in limbo for a little while until I have an ultrasound and biopsy (next week). I'm a bit nervous about all of this, but trying to NOT overreact. I guess I'm glad to be taking care of myself and getting to the bottom of some heath issues. Still a little concerned.