Satisfyingly large meals for 700 calories?!

Options
jmgj27
jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
Hi guys

I will freely confess that portion control is definitely my issue (rather than eating junk). It is always what I struggle with and now (after a twin pregnancy) I'm staring down the barrel of a 90lb loss (I've lost 10 already). Because of my the way my day works out (caring for my kids) my main meal has to be my evening meal (and I prefer it this way in all honesty). I generally aim for between 600 and 800 calories for dinner and would love to get some ideas for meals that will allow me to have a good quantity of food without going over my calorie limits. I can eat anything except high fibre foods (I have IBD so that's an absolute no-no). Any suggestions gratefully received!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to marinate chicken breasts and smoke them on the smoker, then serve with a side of veggies, and a baked sweet potato (although that may not work for you). I get A LOT of food for ~700 calories with this meal.

I also make a BBQ pulled pork spinach salad that is delicious! Throw a pork roast in the crock pot in the morning. At night, pull it out and shred it up and add some BBQ sauce. Make rice and add lime juice and cilantro. Cook a can of black beans. Top spinach leaves with rice, beans and pork. Again, I don't know if you can't have any of those ingredients, but you can certainly modify it. It is so yummy!
  • jmgj27
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ooo the pork dish sounds delicious. I love Mexican type food! Will just have to remember not to smother it in cheese! Thanks!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Dang it. Now I want pulled pork roast! LOL

I hate the name, but mother-in-law chops on Allrecipes is great, and you can do it in the slow-cooker. I serve it with white beans and steamed spinach, but with IBD, not sure if the beans work for you.

Fish tacos with mango salsa are great, and lower fat if you make them at home. I use Trader Joe's frozen MahiMahi and season the fish with McCormics Salt Free Fiesta Citrus seasoning. Mangos can be expensive but if you watch for sales you can plan around that. This is another that I serve with beans and corn, but maybe substitute rice and steamed veg?

• hittrain
    hittrain Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Seafood are a great place to get "big" meals with low(er) calories. Our favorite chicken dish is a blackened chicken breast with a couple of wheat thin pasta and a serving of alfredo sauce. Mix in roasted vegetables as a side and you're sitting at 600-650 calories. Salmon burgers are great too. Can get prepared ones at any grocery store. Cook up a couple of patties, serve them open face on a nice bun and mix with a yogurt/herb sauce for 600-700 calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much fiber you're able to have. However, something that I find really filling and satisfying is a big salad with meat on it and then, on top, sliced avocado plus whatever dressing I feel like having that day. That all can easily fit into the 600-800 calorie range.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Thanks everybody, some really good suggestions there. I can eat some fibre but just have to avoid very high fibre foods (dried fruits are a particular problem). My condition is pretty well under control at the moment so not too many problems. I try to avoid salads at night, partly because I don't feel fulfilled and it makes me more likely to cheat the next day and partly because my husband eats what I eat in the evening and he'd keel over in horror! Spicy food is generally fine for me (in moderation) so any suggestions on that front also gratefully received! This week for example I have planned:
    - cod and parsley fishcakes with new potatoes and salad
    - Turkey bolognese with pasta
    - Chicken souvlaki with tzatziki, Greek potatoes, courgette and red onion
    - Chicken biryani
    - Chilli prawn and squid pasta

All come in under my 800 calorie threshold (some higher or lower) and I have substituted low fat/low calorie options wherever possible. I also love Greek food (lived there for a couple of years) so any suggestions in that area would also be lovely!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    My favorite Greek meal is this one. I serve mine with red onion, tomato and feta cheese on a pita. I usually have mine with a spicy quinoa recipe I made up.

http://www.food.com/recipe/guilt-free-ground-turkey-gyros-483902
    https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=809319
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Beef and broccoli! Cook a pound of minute steaks (cut into strips) in a skillet until not quite done. Add a whole bag of broccoli. Cover and cook on medium until broccoli is thawed. Add 1/2 c stir fry sauce and stir.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    http://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/black-olive-and-feta-turkey-burgers

These are so yummy and only 180 calories WITH the feta/greek yogurt sauce on top! We usually eat them without buns and with some roasted sweet potatoes on the side. Super delish and filling dinner for less than 700 calories.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17815/simply-lemon-baked-chicken/

And this is my absolute favorite roast chicken recipe. The only thing I do differently is rub a couple tablespoons of softened butter on the outside of the chicken before I add the lemon juice and salt/paprika mix. I usually serve it with veggies and either rice, couscous, or potatoes. It always turns out perfectly, and we usually have enough leftovers for lunch the next day AND enough to put on top of salads the next night.