lemon water and cinnamon honey water

Options
I have heard their are good benefits if you drink lemon water in the morning or drink cinnamon honey water in the morning and at night. Has anyone else tried either of these?

Replies

• TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I dirnk lemon water cause I like it. Not really for any other reason.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You may find you like the flavor(s), and it's of course important to get adequate hydration.

Any claims above and beyond that are just blowing smoke in your face.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste, go for it. Make sure you log the calories.

What benefits have you been told they have other than basic hydration?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Waaaay back in the day, my MIL drank hot lemon water every morning as directed by an outfit called Diet Center. It struck me as gimmicky then, still does. Unless, of course, you like the taste.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    If it helps you get your water in, go for it. It won't give any other significant health benefits.

There have been studies that say cinnamon assists your body with moderating blood sugar levels but it hasn't been endorsed by the ADA yet so I wouldn't put my money on it. Holistic providers will tout honey's inflammation fighting powers but those have been mostly unproven in actual medical tests. It is good for wound treatment and it can help with with sore throats. And...it's delicious.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I read that it can aid in digestion (breaking down of food). Same reason people take the bromelain pills.
    I used to drink it at work to keep my breath in check.
  • ljcreekmore
    ljcreekmore Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have done some more reading. the lemon water can hurt the enamel on your teeth. honey does have some health benefits if you you get the right honey that came from the right bees that got the nector from the right trees or flowers. still might try the honey cinnamon drink as i like both.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I have done some more reading. the lemon water can hurt the enamel on your teeth. honey does have some health benefits if you you get the right honey that came from the right bees that got the nector from the right trees or flowers. still might try the honey cinnamon drink as i like both.

What are you reading?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

Anything acidic can harm the enamel on your teeth if you have too much or don't brush your teeth often.

I drink lemon or lime flavored water all the time simply for the flavor. I don't think it has any "magical" powers.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, its all good
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Too much cinnamon is bad for you a little is ok but too much cause liver and kidney damage
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Too much cinnamon is bad for you a little is ok but too much cause liver and kidney damage

WebMD says "very large doses" can be harmful for those with liver problems or diabetes. I don't think we need to limit ourselves to "a little."
  • ljcreekmore
    ljcreekmore Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Juggernaut1974, I was reaading different comments and articles on the internet.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Lemon in your water can add electrolytes to your system, so it's better for you than rehydrating with sugary energy drinks, but for most of us plain water is all we need. Otherwise that and the rest are just flavourings.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Abomination in my book. Water shouldn't taste like anything other than water or it wouldn't quench my thirst. If I wanted lemonade I'd make lemonade and drink it as such.

Just kidding. I personally find flavored water weird, but if you like it there is nothing wrong with drinking it. Nothing special about it other than that it tastes differently and you may enjoy the taste. Another note: honey introduces a significant amount of calories depending on the amount (60 something calories in a tablespoon), so if you are drinking honey water make sure to log the honey.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! That's pretty much all the benefit I could ask for from it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Juggernaut1974, I was reaading different comments and articles on the internet.

Don't get caught up in the woo science. There are no magic potions.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I like squeezed lemons in my Rum and Ginger Ale... :)
  • karenconklin32
    karenconklin32 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I actually love love Lemon's,I stopped drinking soda and went for lemon water for flavor,it worked:)