Help-going out to dinner!

Options
Tomorrow we have a dinner outing with family and we're going to a Chinese restaurant. Any recommendations for low-cal dinners and appetizers? I want to stay around 500 calories for the whole meal.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would say veggies and then...I'm not sure. I have to say that Chinese food is something I have pretty much avoided over the past several years because everything I like was simply too high in calories on the days when I've considered having it.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wonton soup?
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Our local place has a healthy section on the menu that has steamed chicken/shrimp/veggies and everything comes with sauce on the side so you can just add a little. That's usually what I end up doing if we go for Chinese food.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Bella0531 wrote: »
    Our local place has a healthy section on the menu that has steamed chicken/shrimp/veggies and everything comes with sauce on the side so you can just add a little. That's usually what I end up doing if we go for Chinese food.

This. Plain steamed protein and vegetables - sauce on the side.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    As above - nothing described as crispy or crunchy (deep fried) or with sauces or coatings that contain wild amounts of sugar. Pretty much easily identifiable items as the food that they were meant to be! Good Luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yeah, and hopefully the chicken won't taste like rubber like the time I ordered it... or order shrimp ;)

I like Wonton soup though so I always have some of that too.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah, and hopefully the chicken won't taste like rubber like the time I ordered it... or order shrimp ;)

I like Wonton soup though so I always have some of that too.

;) I wish I could take you to the little spot near my house. It's phenomenal!
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to look at the menu online and see if I can find some options. Hopefully I can find chicken with steamed veggies!
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just looked online at their menu and saw this option Chicken Kow -tender slices of chicken with water chestnuts, mushrooms, peapods, and bokchoy. Thoughts?