Does going for a walk even do anything weight wise?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraLove
    Options
    Walking a mile and running a mile will burn the same number of calories.

What utter rubbish.........

It's not, actually. If you run or walk the same DISTANCE, you burn about the same calories. We're not talking about the time taken.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    In my experience, walking works for burning the fat and keeping the muscles :) When I did my contest prep - I was ONLY walking first thing in the morning at 130bpm for one hour on an empty stomach... The proof is in the puddin' (in the case my profile pic - lost 25lbs in 4 months with just walking). I must stress though that DIET IS 80% of your results... 10% is motivation, the other 10% is genetics :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

I burn the same walking one as running one. but walking takes longer to burn it.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is all very good advice!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome! Getting up and moving around is great no matter what.
  • daisymaegreen
    daisymaegreen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    She didn't say in the same amount of time... she said by distance... so yes, waking and running the same mile will get you about the same calories... it may take 10 minutes of running or 30 minutes of walking... but the caloric burn, based on the distance traveled (not time) will be very close to the same.

haha. this reminds me of a question my high school science teacher would ask in the beginning of the year to his new freshman..."which hits the ground faster, when dropped from up high, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?" same concept.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    I have heard this to. And my heart rate monitor would ALWAYS say I was in the cardio range. I had to tip toe quietly to stay in the "fat burning' zone. And guess what? I lost 40 lbs. I understand there is a lot of science behind it...but I am where I am today pushing myself to the limit in all my classes. Could be different for others though! :-)
    [/quote]

good to know. I'm starting to go to the gym, so I've been doing fat burning mode to start with, so maqybe when I lose some weight I'll also push myself to the limit. I'm not sure what works best, so I'll try multiple approaches
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started walking 45 minutes during my lunch break...and I have to admit I feel great, I thought it would just boost my loss, but it's really slimming out my body. I go to the gym after supper too and do my regular 500 calorie burn...but the walk outside is actually quite nice, even when it's raining and blowing 50km/hr wind. It clears the mind, gives you a bit of a sweat, and your bum twitches to let you know it's been worked lol...Even if I don't lose 50lbs just by walking, I really enjoy it...and it's not just a stroll, I try and do minimum of 3.5mph
  • appleskye
    appleskye Posts: 54
    Options

Don't get me wrong, I know it takes a lot longer to walk a mile than it does to run a mile! The equation is for distance, not time. Sorry for the confusion!
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my baby weight just by walking for an hour most days.
    Walking is great for your body (low impact while still toning), but its also great just to be outside and see the world at a slower pace.
    Pretty much any movement is better than no movement :)
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Thank you! I thought the same thing!
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

It's not, actually. If you run or walk the same DISTANCE, you burn about the same calories. We're not talking about the time taken.
    it is actually, because it all has to do with the amount of energy you exert. Your heart rate is MUCH higher when running than walking. Try wearing a heart rate monitor for a leisurely mile walk and then for a strenuous mile run. You'll probably burn a lot more calories on the run.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I borrowed a HRM to test out this very theory.
    My personal results were: 5 mile walk at about 3.5mph 495cals
    3 mile run at about 6mph 305cals
    So I am burning about 100 calories for every mile I move no matter how fast(time wise) I do it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I borrowed a HRM to test out this very theory.
    My personal results were: 5 mile walk at about 3.5mph 495cals
    3 mile run at about 6mph 305cals
    So I am burning about 100 calories for every mile I move no matter how fast(time wise) I do it.
    exactly.
  • banjobouner2
    Options
    For those of you, who uses "the fatburning-zone" at the gym, beware that even though the percentage that i burned from fat is higher, you will still burn way more calories (and therefore more fat) if you increase your heartrate. So dont keep your self restrained to a lover heartrate, if you have the energi to perform at a higher heartrate.

Look here if i didnt explain myself proberly ;)

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Walking is good for you! Walking a mile and running a mile will burn the same number of calories. But I know what you mean, it feels like it's not doing anything! Take a look at these:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/11/28-day-walking-course-joanna-hall
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/table/2010/jan/11/weight-loss-plan-fitness-guide

Really, anything that raises your heart rate is going to help you lose weight.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one...walking is great don't get me wrong but walking a mile and running a mile does not burn the same number of calories. Get a HRM and you will see the difference is huge.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Walking is great... so is running

arguing about walking vs. running is just silly, though. i think there might be some truth to the idea that you have to walk before you run... in any case, they are definitely related. in my case after walking increasingly long distances for years i eventually started running this year...and love it ... and hey guess what, I still love walking too :laugh:

bottom line is any exercise that YOU enjoy is worth doing - the beauty of these particular activities is relative to just about anything else; they don't really require much in the way of special gear, location or $$$
  • appleskye
    appleskye Posts: 54
    Options
    Wow, so this is a controversial topic! I guess it's not as simple as I thought. I'm still going to go walking though!
  • GlynisH
    GlynisH Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Of course it does. I lost a good amount of weight doing Leslie Sansone's, Walk Away The Pounds. I love her workouts. And from time to time i would walk outdoors. It worked for me!

I LOVE Leslie Sansone!!!!!
  • ertrauma
    ertrauma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One thing I've not seen mentioned in this thread is the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. If you have been toning up or weight training it can have an effect on how quickly you see a weight change. This is the type of weight loss plateau we would all like to have ;)