Tips for getting rid of stomach fat

Options

Replies

• mccanb41
    mccanb41 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Deficit and burn, baby, deficit and burn. Your own sweet self decides which shelves of the pantry to raid first... Keep at it & eventually it will go.

Thank you
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    You can't target weight loss.

Give this poster a prize.

If strictly targeting the midsection to lose weight was possible, we'd all have visibly defined abs. Eat at a calorie deficit until you see the result you want.
  • hlcavalieri
    hlcavalieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Deficit and burn, baby, deficit and burn. Your own sweet self decides which shelves of the pantry to raid first... Keep at it & eventually it will go.

Love the way you put this! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you cannot target/spot reduce. weight will come of from where it will over time. the stomach is primary fat stores for many if not most...it's generally first on, last off.
  • hlcavalieri
    hlcavalieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @mccanb41 I have the same issue! I've lost 27 lbs so far, and not much of it seems to be coming from the belly area... which is one of my worst areas! We will get there eventually!! :)
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by how many people suggest to eat a calorie deficit. This is a very harmful way of attempting to lose weight, mainly because it can never be maintained. Eating in this manner is called "disordered eating", and often known as the "yo-yo diet". If someone needs to lose weight for health reasons, see a dietitian who can help manage a healthy lifestyle through proper eating habits and staying active.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MrWilson6 wrote: »
    I'm surprised by how many people suggest to eat a calorie deficit. This is a very harmful way of attempting to lose weight, mainly because it can never be maintained. Eating in this manner is called "disordered eating", and often known as the "yo-yo diet". If someone needs to lose weight for health reasons, see a dietitian who can help manage a healthy lifestyle through proper eating habits and staying active.

A calorie deficit isn't designed to be maintained once the goal weight is reached. At that point, one doesn't want to lose any more weight and the goal is to consume calories sufficient to maintain body weight.

There is no way to lose weight without consuming fewer calories than you burn (unless you're removing stuff from your body). A calorie deficit doesn't have to be extreme or disordered. A dietitian isn't going to have any plans that will allow someone to lose weight while consuming as much as they burn or more. They too will recommend a plan that creates a calorie deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Umm, what? Calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight, it is not disordered eating. If my body burns 1800 calories a day, and I eat 1600 calories, I lose weight. If I eat 2,000 calories I gain weight. That's how it works.

OP, I feel your pain! When i lose weight, it first comes off my arms and legs, and then V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y starts to come off my stomach. Read the So You Want a Nice Stomach link already posted, and settle in for the long haul :) Good luck!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Your kidding right?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit:

Inigo-Montoya.jpg
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Untitled-9.gif
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Ummm....being in an energy deficiency is the only way to lose weight. If I need 2,800 calories to maintain, I eat a little less than that to lose weight...it's not disordered or "yo-yo dieting"....

You know this is a calorie counting website right? Where people count calories to ensure they're in a deficit position?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

51339fe14d1cc9da722a0476abd57031-go-home-cat-youre-drunk.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Let me say this as politely as possible:

That is possibly the single most ignorant thing I have ever read on these forums.

A basic understanding of physiology lends the knowledge of the FACT that excess energy is stored as fat ONLY when a caloric surplus occurs and fat is burned for energy ONLY when a caloric deficit occurs.

Monitoring calorie intake (whether by tracking calories or macronutrients) is the single most successful way to maintain weight loss. It is deliberate eating and hardly similar to disordered eating or yoyo dieting.

Fad diets, VLCD (very low calorie diets) and extreme dietary restrictions are what lead to yoyo dieting.
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Again, I am surprised by the comments on here, but I will leave you all to what you believe to be true. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Again, I am surprised by the comments on here, but I will leave you all to what you believe to be true. Good luck!

What do you suggest then, Liposuction?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Please educate us on what causes fat to leave the body if it is not a result of taking in fewer calories than one burns.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You can't target loss. Calorie deficit and belly fat is the last to go...and first to come back.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Note: as others have posted above, a deficit will, in almost every single case, result is weight loss. No one has proposed a starvation diet with too few calories including the OP. And it is also basic physics.

To the OP, as others have noted, you cannot spot burn fat. However, as you slowly burn through the fat layer(s) you can do some work on the underlying muscle definition. But that does not mean that the fat will burn off faster simply because of proximity of muscle work.

There are also physiological considerations concerning the intensity of calorie expenditure. You are always burning some combination of sugar (from glycogen stores within the body) and fat (also breaking down to sugar for energy). The more intense the workout, the more preferentially the body converts the glycogen stores for energy instead of the fat. The fat burn is more "efficient," but the glycogen (sugar) burn is easier.

That is why low to moderate intensity aerobic activities are suggested as a way to burn fat. It takes a longer period of time to burn calories, but it helps in the preferential burn rate.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

So enlighten me...

I mean considering that I cut a handful of calories and dumped about 40 Lbs and have been maintaining for almost three years without logging or anything...I'd say it works pretty good...but go ahead and enlighten me on how this doesn't work and how disordered my thinking is....