sprouted potatoes - toss or use?

I have some potatoes that have been sitting on my counter since before christmas. the all have sprouts on them and some of them are a bit un-firm. I know there is an issue if the skins turn green, but what about sprouting?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    If they've become soft you don't want to eat them.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    I still eat them if they're sprouting, but I compost them once they lose their firmness.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I eat them as long as they're still firm.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    thanks everyone. that was my inclination, too. I tossed the un-firm ones and have the others ready for boiling!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Eating soft potatoes won't hurt you. Unless they are rotten or moldy they are okay to eat.
  • mgodfrey0202
    mgodfrey0202 Posts: 35 Member
    Keep in mind that the potato is in the nightshade family, and that's why we don't use any other part of the potato plant. I normally don't use sprouted ones. Also, 'sweet potato' is NOT a nightshade family and pretty much the entire plant can be used.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    I had some sprouty ones (well trimmed of sprouts and peeled for green) for dinner tonight.
  • skheather
    skheather Posts: 42 Member
    Farmers always used to have potatoes sprouting before spring. We just broke the sprouts off and ate them. If they tend to turn dark when you cook them, just add a little vinegar to the water.