Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    mccanb41 wrote: »
    go on a diet?
    bwwahhhhhhhh.
    situps.
    I'm on a diet and go to the gym for an hour a day I was just wondering if there were any tips people had to target weight loss for the stomach area
    Liposuction. If you can't go that route, then it's patience that's next.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

MrWilson6 wrote: »
    Again, I am surprised by the comments on here, but I will leave you all to what you believe to be true. Good luck!

What do YOU believe causes weight gain and/or loss?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    STrooper wrote: »
    I'm surprised by how many people suggest to eat a calorie deficit. This is a very harmful way of attempting to lose weight, mainly because it can never be maintained. Eating in this manner is called "disordered eating", and often known as the "yo-yo diet". If someone needs to lose weight for health reasons, see a dietitian who can help manage a healthy lifestyle through proper eating habits and staying active.

Note: as others have posted above, a deficit will, in almost every single case, result is weight loss. No one has proposed a starvation diet with too few calories including the OP. And it is also basic physics.

To the OP, as others have noted, you cannot spot burn fat. However, as you slowly burn through the fat layer(s) you can do some work on the underlying muscle definition. But that does not mean that the fat will burn off faster simply because of proximity of muscle work.

There are also physiological considerations concerning the intensity of calorie expenditure. You are always burning some combination of sugar (from glycogen stores within the body) and fat (also breaking down to sugar for energy). The more intense the workout, the more preferentially the body converts the glycogen stores for energy instead of the fat. The fat burn is more "efficient," but the glycogen (sugar) burn is easier.

That is why low to moderate intensity aerobic activities are suggested as a way to burn fat. It takes a longer period of time to burn calories, but it helps in the preferential burn rate.

But high intensity may burn more calories, and if the deficit is the same from both types of exercise there should be no difference in fat loss, as your body, the rest of the day will be using fat to make up for the energy deficit. You need to look at the full day/week, just looking at this exercise or that exercise etc. does not tell the whole story.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Again, I am surprised by the comments on here, but I will leave you all to what you believe to be true. Good luck!

So exactly how is it that you lose weight if a calorie deficit is so "disordered"? It can be, yes, but for the average person looking to lose, they aren't going to reach those levels.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by how many people suggest to eat a calorie deficit. This is a very harmful way of attempting to lose weight, mainly because it can never be maintained. Eating in this manner is called "disordered eating", and often known as the "yo-yo diet". If someone needs to lose weight for health reasons, see a dietitian who can help manage a healthy lifestyle through proper eating habits and staying active.
    Lol, guess what? If someone sees a dietician, they'll have that someone eating in deficit to lose weight.
    Not kidding.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Maybe you are misunderstanding the term "calorie deficit"? Because seriously, every person who has ever lost any weight has had a calorie deficit.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I've been doing it wrong all this time and didn't know

68892776.png
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

How do you think weight loss works then? I'm genuinely interested because I can't even imagine
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

6565c8fae0ec32d4debd040c05dc82588d5715064fb041dbd23a5ee213c53504.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Does it hurt when you try to think? Just curious.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

You're a brave man for posting that. I hope you learn something, because you're also very wrong, hopefully with just a misunderstanding of what a calorie deficit is. You're going to get a lot of correction, possibly for several pages worth of this thread.
  • taypc
    taypc Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Stay away from sugars! Drink plenty of water and green tea!! Hot water and lemon is also very good, drink it as soon as you wake up helps speed up metabolism x
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How is green tea and hot water and lemon good for belly fat? Stay away from sugar if you want, drink plenty of water is a good habit but none isolate losing belly fat.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    taypc wrote: »
    1) Stay away from sugars! Drink plenty of water and 2) green tea!! 3)Hot water and 4)lemon is also very good, drink it as soon as you wake up 5)helps speed up metabolism x

1) not necessary at all
    2) also completely unnecessary and won't help
    3) pointless
    4) mythical lemon magic is mythical
    5) this is so utterly false and ridiculous I don't think I could properly emphasize just how false it is
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

...he says as he logs his food in order to ensure he's eating at a calorie deficit. :huh:

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Stay away from sugars! Drink plenty of water and green tea!! Hot water and lemon is also very good, drink it as soon as you wake up helps speed up metabolism x

Lol No. This is all a bunch of woo.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Deficit and burn, baby, deficit and burn. Your own sweet self decides which shelves of the pantry to raid first... Keep at it & eventually it will go.

I like your way of thinking!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

...he says as he logs his food in order to ensure he's eating at a calorie deficit. :huh:

An average of a 1k deficit on most days, too. I noticed that right off.
  • taypc
    taypc Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    1) Stay away from sugars! Drink plenty of water and 2) green tea!! 3)Hot water and 4)lemon is also very good, drink it as soon as you wake up 5)helps speed up metabolism x

1) not necessary at all
    2) also completely unnecessary and won't help
    3) pointless
    4) mythical lemon magic is mythical
    5) this is so utterly false and ridiculous I don't think I could properly emphasize just how false it is

Well it's helped me so maybe you don't know as much as you think

More like a placebo effect for you