Working Out in the Morning

I always workout in the morning before work and I feel great for the first 4 hours or so into my *kitten* but then I get hit with a wave of drowsy and I can't seem to shake it.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Jesikuh094
    Jesikuh094 Posts: 48 Member
    I dont know why it didn't post the word, 4 hours or so into my shift ...
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    What do you eat for breakfast? If I eat veggies and meat (a homemade vegetable chili with turkey added) I do great till lunch. If I eat potatoes and/or toast, I get sleepy later.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    What do you eat before/after workout? How much water?
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Less time to talk myself out of it so first thing workout works for me.

I'll usually have some food before if I'm working one of the bigger muscle groups or going for a longer session (either done bran flakes or a double egg muffin)
  • Jesikuh094
    I don't have a lot of time before work, usually cereal or yogurt. I drink about 4 bottles of water while I'm at work. I just can't seem to stay energized.
  • Jesikuh094
    beastier wrote: »

I'll usually have some food before if I'm working one of the bigger muscle groups or going for a longer session (either done bran flakes or a double egg muffin)

All I do is run on the treadmill and use the elliptical some, too. Nothing extensive.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Get more sleep.
  • beastier
    Jesikuh094 wrote: »

All I do is run on the treadmill and use the elliptical some, too. Nothing extensive.

Probably wouldn't eat anything before then if you're doing cardio - you'll get into your fat burning zone quicker that way - unless you really need something to get you going
  • Jesikuh094
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Get more sleep.

I sleep like 10 hours a night. I get off at 7 and I'm asleep by 10 or 10:30 and don't have to be up until 8am, sometimes I think I sleep too much!
  • Jesikuh094

Probably wouldn't eat anything before then if you're doing cardio - you'll get into your fat burning zone quicker that way - unless you really need something to get you going

I don't need to eat but breakfast is the most important.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Get more sleep.

I sleep like 10 hours a night. I get off at 7 and I'm asleep by 10 or 10:30 and don't have to be up until 8am, sometimes I think I sleep too much!

Are you taking in enough calories? That's something to look at if you feel like you're sleeping too much and still getting drowsy.
  • beastier

Just eat it after your workout
  • Jesikuh094
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    Get more sleep.

Are you taking in enough calories? That's something to look at if you feel like you're sleeping too much and still getting drowsy.

According to this app I'm not; but I feel like I eat like a cow!
  • Jesikuh094

Just eat it after your workout

Touche. Lol
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    I've been working out at 530 AM for about 4 months now... and I've noticed that drinking A LOT of water before noon absolutely helps! Plus protein!
  • Jesikuh094
    I've been working out at 530 AM for about 4 months now... and I've noticed that drinking A LOT of water before noon absolutely helps! Plus protein!

Okay, thank you! :) More water for me!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    Get more sleep.

According to this app I'm not; but I feel like I eat like a cow!
    When I ate below this aps recommendations I got really tired. When I went from 1100 to 1200 calories I had much more energy and still list 3# a month. I'd up your calories to the recommended level and see if you have more energy. And I only get 5 hours sleep a night- but that can just be genetics.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2016
    How many calories are you eating daily?
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    I work out at about 7 every morning. I don't eat before but I eat and drink at least 30 yo 40 grams of protien after (like hard boiled eggs and protein shake). I then eat lunch between 1 and 2. If I don't half at least half to 2/3 of my calorie intake in then I am crashing by about 2:30. Make sure you are getting lots of protein.
  • Interbeing
    Interbeing Posts: 33 Member
    I start my day at 4:45am with a 30 minute dumbbell workout, and follow it up with a protein drink, and water. If anything, I feel more energized, and rarely have trouble with fatigue at work. I try to get at least 6 hours sleep a night and also have a full breakfast once I get to work at 6:00.