sedentary or lightly active?

Options
I think I'm sedentary (I feel pretty sedentary) but I wanted to ask for other opinions. I'm a student, so I spend lots of time sitting down, obviously. I average about 6,000 steps a day, and as my campus is in the mountains, a fair amount of these steps are on stairs/an incline. I'm hoping to get a hand me down of my mom's fitbit soon and thus be able to track my activity a little better (right now I have an app on my phone for steps, but it doesn't account for changes in incline or anytime I walk around without my phone), but for now I'm trying to figure out where to set my goal.

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sedentary covers me until I get ~2000 steps. 6k for me is an extra ~200 calories.

If you bump up your activity level here to Lightly Active, how many more calories do you get? Do you get those 6k steps in just about every day?

~Lyssa
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    6000 steps a day is more than sedentary. If you do that every day then lightly active would be better.
  • baileyek4255
    baileyek4255 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get about 200 more calories at lightly active. I generally get between ~5000-6000 steps every day. Thanks for the advice!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I would definitely bump up your activity level, then. If you do get a Fitbit, you can sync it with MFP at that point.

Stick with Lightly Active for at least 4 weeks and see how your weightloss goes over that period, then make adjustments if needed.

~Lyssa
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I would say 6000 steps is lightly active. And with the pedometer on your phone there are probably other steps it doesn't account for when you dint have your phone on you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lightly active.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I think I'm sedentary (I feel pretty sedentary) but I wanted to ask for other opinions. I'm a student, so I spend lots of time sitting down, obviously. I average about 6,000 steps a day, and as my campus is in the mountains, a fair amount of these steps are on stairs/an incline. I'm hoping to get a hand me down of my mom's fitbit soon and thus be able to track my activity a little better (right now I have an app on my phone for steps, but it doesn't account for changes in incline or anytime I walk around without my phone), but for now I'm trying to figure out where to set my goal.

When in doubt choose the lower, in this case sedentary. After six weeks or so, if you are losing faster than planned go with the higher. Would suck to choose the higher of the two and waste weeks eating to the wrong calorie goal if you are wrong.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My settings are set to Lightly Active. When I hit ~5,000 steps, I have earned all my calories for the day. Above that, I start earning calories. Having the Fitbit has been an eye opener for me. I hope you can get one soon, they are awesome!!