Getting frustrated over the cost of healthy eating?

Options

Replies

• Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I live in a very small town in an extremely rural area. Fresh foods like produce and meat are outrageously expensive, mostly because of the cost of getting them here. It is literally cheaper for me to drive 80 miles away to do my grocery shopping!
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I find buying seasonal fresh produce helps keep cost down. If you're buying meat look at cheaper cuts. Buy a whole chicken and put it to use in 2-3 meals rather than buy only certain cuts. I try to have at least 2-3 days worth of meal planning in the week that are meat free since that is usually the most expensive part of my food shop. It may be worth going to your local fishmonger / butcher as they're often cheaper than the supermarkets.

You already meal plan, which I find is key to saving a lot of money. Saying that, if there are good offers on things I know I'll use I will purchase them too. Also knowing what's in your cupboards/fridge/freezer. When I've been unable to go food shopping it's amazing how many meals I can make when you think there's nothing to eat. Sometimes my weekly shop is just milk and some extra veg because I have loads of stuff already in the freezer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're buying, there are plenty of inexpensive, nutritious whole foods. Start with in season fruits and veg...guess what OP, avocados while awesome are not in season...they're expensive anyways, but even more so out of season. Things like broccoli, cabbage, peas, and root vegetables are pretty cheap. For fruit, I namely stick to apples this time of year.

As meats and whatnot go, beef is pretty expensive right now so we don't eat a lot of beef. We eat a lot of chicken and lean cuts of pork as they are pretty cheap and often on sale. We fork out the extra cash for fish a couple times per week...and we buy it frozen (we live in the desert) and no, it's not pumped full of water and whatnot...it's wild caught and flash frozen and vacuum sealed.

Other inexpensive, healthy whole food staples for us include potatoes, brown rice, legumes, lentils, oats, eggs, etc...

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I buy Ramen and cook it with veggies. 0 regrets
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP, it's your choice. Either lower your high standards, or keep spending a lot of money on groceries, but really, it's a bit funny that you go for high end meats and whatnot then complain that it's expensive.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get fresh produce on a budget, you need to buy in season. Right now in NY, my choices are pretty much apples, potatoes, and cabbage. I have access to lots of other fresh produce, but it is out of season so it's expensive. I get variety by buying frozen fruits & veggies, and everything I've read says it is just as nutritious as fresh. You can buy dried beans and lentils, bulk oatmeal and other whole grains, and eggs are usually pretty economical too.

As others have said, if you want to eat a very specific diet, yes you are going to have to pay for it. There is a lot of room in between fresh, organic... and "processed garbage" and I personally don't see anything wrong with including frozen produce and meat and other minimally processed foods, plus some of that "processed garbage". Many many people can't afford the luxury of a diet that would fit into the guidelines you have decided on. Maybe if you look at it as you are lucky to have access to all of those foods and the money to pay for them, you wouldn't be as frustrated!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    For those who quoted me: yes, a lot of the money goes to proteins. We eat a lot of fish. Organic fruit and vegetables can be pricey too (where we are, anyway). But we like the taste of them, so that's what we get.

Whoever asked if I was just trying to make everyone wrong, I wasn't. I'm also aware that it is possible to eat "healthy" on a budget. I was just stating that you can survive with very little money eating processed food, as well as sympathizing with the OP. You can take your panties out of a twist now.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    You could buy more frozen fruit and veg, it's often more nutritious than fresh as is frozen soon after harvest. Could buy more economy own brands, they are often the same as premium and made by the big names anyway, just different packaging. I changed to some of these after trying, obviously you need to try and see if you like them ... if you do there's money to be saved there. Do you eat meat or fish every day? Could have one or two meat-free meals a week ... homemade veg and pulse casserole or veg chilli with bread, naan or pitta is easy. Could use frozen soya mince and add to kidney beans, for instance ... still a good source of protein, fibre etc. I don't buy prepared fruit or veg as it can be more expensive and have lost vitamins.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I bet none of the people that you are comparing yourself to eat as well as you do - your menus look really delicious and nutritious. You could start making your own soup instead of buying fresh, expensive, Covent Garden ones, but do you really want to add the extra time to do that? I spend a lot on food too, but I love cooking and want decent ingredients, especially higher welfare meat, I reckon I deserve it, with a full on job and two kids! We get a fruit and veg box delivered from Riverford, which is a cheaper way to buy organic if you want to, because it's seasonal. I roasted a chicken tonight and it was an expensive free range one, but I'll get at least two more meals out of the leftover meat and stock.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    it feels like sometimes most of my wages go on food shopping! I know it's worth it, and i have no intention of swapping to processed rubbish. But sometimes i find it difficult. I soend so much more than my friends and family, sometimes double! it's just so frustrating, especially when i wotk out what that difference is over the month. There must be a cheaper way of doing this. Im spending £300 - £350 a month, whereas other people seem to be spending about £250. Seems so unfair that wanting to look after myself financially effects other things. That proce difference could be a holiday, or redecorating....sulking

Per person?

I'm in a different country, so it is hard to compare, but I spend about $200 a month for two people (one of whom eats MUCH more than I do) and I have a visiting child with me 5-10 days/month. I also have friends over for a fancy dinner about once a month on average. $200 is 138 pounds at today's exchange rate.

I cook from scratch, including sauces and many condiments...for example, I make my own pickles, spice mixes etc. I don't eat beef and that is VERY expensive, so maybe that is part of the difference.

I shop at discount and ethnic stores FIRST, then go to mainstream grocery stores later for things on my list that I can't find inexpensively. We have a wonderful store here called Grocery Outlet that sells overstocks--I get fabulous prices, but they do not always have the same things every week. Does something similar exist in the UK? When I find an especially good deal, I stock up.

I have a small community garden plot (allotment) and grow a lot of my own produce. All of the tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste that I consume in a year come out of my tiny garden. Even in the winter, I have kale, onions, etc. I can and freeze food from my garden. Growing the garden costs about $100 per year and it provides extra exercise and fun. I harvest fruit and veggies at local farms in the summer when they are cheap and tasty and I freeze and can. Actually, I get a lot of fruit for free because I volunteer with a gleaning group--we keep half of what we harvest and donate the other half to the food bank. Farmers donate their crops to us when they have extra and not enough labor, when the markets don't make selling a crop worthwhile or when they have some trees or rows that can't be harvested mechanically.

My apartment is small, but I have an extra chest freezer in my dining room which is full of fruit, veggies and meats bought in bulk on sale. I have a pantry full of canned food in glass jars.

So, maybe it is a question of your time or your money. If you are willing to put in more time, you can save a ton of money. For me, it is a question of quality too. I practice slow food, so I would eat this way even if I wanted to spend more money on food.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I agree. Yesterday I bought two fresh red bell peppers and it cost me $7 (CDN). What the?? My husband and I spend between $700-900 a month on groceries and we mostly eat fresh food. Mind you, the grocery store we shop at has fewer deals than other places, so I am going to start looking for deals across the city by signing up for a "grocery smarts" weekly newsletter that tells you where all the deals are. Of course, it's not any better to drive around to five different places to save a few bucks, but we may just look for one place where the most deals are and try that out. Maybe you can do the same in your city?
    \\

Bell peppers are not in season. And they're probably being shipped in from Mexico this time of year. Plus red bell peppers are much more fragile than green, so they go for a pemium price. Even worse if you bought "organic".

I buy bell peppers in bulk when they're in season, then dice them and freeze them so I have them to add to recipes year-round. Freezing does not compromise their nutritional value at all. But if I bought fresh red bell peppers this time of year, I'd expect to pay through the nose for the luxury.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I buy as many items frozen as possible and that helps, but to feed 3 adults I spend around $350 a month, and then maybe $50 on my personal protein bars and lean cuisine meals. Stuff only I eat.

I don't think it's any more than I used to spend to be honest.
  • gardensneeze
    gardensneeze Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i find it costs less to eat fresh food. processed / prepackaged foods cost more per serving than making the same thing yourself.

all meat is 'processed' byt he very fact it is taken off the animal, so if you're spending extra money on something that claims not to be, just go to the regular grocery store. i buy frozen chicken, beef, pork, fish (not the breaded kind, regular frozen fish).

you can also get frozen veggies (not in sauces or anything). and use what you want as you need it. i generally prefer fresh but in the winter especially, frozen is usually more cost effective.

i eat rice and pasta in moderation, and both are cheap. bags of apples, oranges, grapes and bananas are relatively inexpensive.

you do not have to get the more expensive organic versions of foods, as it makes little, if any, nutritional difference.

People don't buy organic food for the nutritional difference. It's about the pesticides, chemicals, antibiotics and genetic modification.
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    I dont understand why it's working out so much more expensive for me. Typical day, like today, consists of wholewheat toast with avocado and tomato with a green smoothie, homous and veggie sticks as mid morning snack. Soup, ryvita and piece of fruit for lunch, mid afternoon treat of couple squares chocolate. Dinner protein with lots of veggies, tonight im making a sausage a root vegetable bake.

Can you post a copy of a shopping receipt? Are you buy lots of expensive health food items like quinoa, 'ancient grains', alternative milks and flours, bee pollen, protein powder, date syrup, coconut sugar, chia seeds, that sort of expensive and very trendy blogger-friendly stuff?
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    It doesnt help that i have an active family, who are constantly hungry. My OH cycles 8 miles a day to and from work, and plays American football (so has a massive appettite) plus we hit the gym together 4 times a week. I walk up to 5 miles a day too. So we may be eating bigger portions compared to less active families. According to the papaer this morning 'healthy eating' costs up to 1/3 more than regular eating, whatever that is. I'm trying to put in perspective, to feel less depressed about it by thinking how much my bill comapares to take out of restuarant prices. Just frustrating knowing that other in my family are eating for £40-50. Fair enough there are lots of 'cheats' and not overly healthy, but it frees up money for activities and non food related treats. Atm it feels like my wages are just going on food and the gym.

No, your costs are the true costs. Their costs are destroying the planet, farmers globally, exploit animal welfare and fish stocks, and contribute to greenhouse gases. People who underpay are unhealthy and obese. People who pay the right price and paying fair prices for the costs of ethical production.
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    Those of you saying processed food is more expensive than fresh food, clearly don't understand that ramen is 10 for $1.
    When I was living by myself and on a grocery budget of about $60 per MONTH, I mostly survived off processed food.
    Now between my boyfriend and I, we easily spend $800 a month on groceries. It sucks, but we do like to eat well.

WHAT????? Are you eating gold leaf corn flakes?
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    it feels like sometimes most of my wages go on food shopping! I know it's worth it, and i have no intention of swapping to processed rubbish. But sometimes i find it difficult. I soend so much more than my friends and family, sometimes double! it's just so frustrating, especially when i wotk out what that difference is over the month. There must be a cheaper way of doing this. Im spending £300 - £350 a month, whereas other people seem to be spending about £250. Seems so unfair that wanting to look after myself financially effects other things. That proce difference could be a holiday, or redecorating....sulking

My bill (2 adults) stays reasonable through buy a little meat and fish which is ethical, eating a lot of great vegetarian food, buying the nuts, grains and flours from the local co-op where you measure your portions into containers and pay by the gram, and buying our veg from the big market in our city, where prices are insanely good. We grow our own herbs. The canned items (beans, tomatoes) we buy at Aldi. We eat a LOT of vegetables. We plan our meals, cook what we buy, freeze portions, abhor throwing food away, and don't buy snacks. Our pantry is only single ingredient items. We also try and limit our packaging. We rarely eat out and my partner takes all his lunches to work.
  • alyurete
    alyurete Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rice, beans, fortified cereal, frozen fruits and vegetables. I spend $20 a week on food for myself, at most. Buying in bulk, buying frozen produce when you can, and checking flyers for sales and coupons will go a long way.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Funny how this is polarized.

Here's my experience. When I was "trying to eat healthy", it cost me more. When I stopped "trying to eat healthy" and just started looking at all food as nutritious, my food bill went way down. Track your macros and stop worrying about definitions of food. It's silly. You're spending way too much "trying to be healthy" and it's unnecessary. Just eat the food you like. Stop placing labels on food. Your bills will go down by about 50% when you get into the right mindset.

YES! You don't have to buy into the "premium" hysteria. Buy what you can afford, based on your priorities, and eat within your calorie goal to lose weight (and macros to improve body composition). You have made the choice that eating premium meats and veg is a priority for your family, instead of going on holiday or redecorating. If you feel like you're missing out because you're spending too much on groceries, change priorities and shop differently. The way you're doing it now is not the ONLY way to do it, so don't let yourself feel trapped in your circumstances.