Eating All the Calories and Still Hungry

Options
Cedura
Cedura Posts: 184 Member
This week a wellness program started at work. It requires us to eat a minimum of 3 fruit and 4 vegetable servings. We also can have no sugared beverages and should avoid high sugar food and high fat foods.
So I am logging foods again.
I ditched my Sausage Egg Cheese Biscuit sandwich from the gas station in favor of fruit and granola bars for breakfast. I ditched my pasta bowl lunch for chicken and salad. I ditched my chik fil a dinner in favor of "other" foods. I am struggling with the dinner thing still....

But I am ALWAYS hungry. Even though I am eating all my calories every day, and actually eating MORE food for lunch than I was, I feel starved. My stomach is always reminding me how empty it feels.

Do you all have any advice or tips? How can I stop thinking about how many minutes I need to wait until I can feed the pig again?
I already am spreading my foods out- granola at 8am, grapes at 11, lunch at 12:30, yogurt at 3:30, dinner at 6, snack at 8. But I am still super hungry 45 minutes after I ate.

My diary is public. I would love any and all advice for consideration so I can survive this 8 week wellness program, and get my weight loss off to a great start!

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    One of the best things (IMO) about logging is being able to see the macro breakdown of a meal. Can you look and see if you've eaten meals that make you feel more full? I know that meals with higher proteins and fats keep me satisfied for longer, and maybe you can identify which macro balance helps you too.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Granola bars can be high in sugar. I'd try throwing in some protein for breakfast.
  • Cedura
    Options
    I should specify I am using the Protein granola bars like Luna and Kashi for breakfast.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Eat some protein. That would be one problem here. Protein will help to make you feel fuller longer. So will fat. Is there any reason why you are supposed to limit fats? Fats are not bad for you and as a matter of fact, quite the opposite.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Protein, fat, and fiber are filling. Some people stay full on lean protein and fiber, other people need fats with each meal (this is me). You may need to experiment a little to find what fits you.

Overall calorie count. Make sure your weekly weight loss goal is not too aggressive. An aggressive goal = low daily calories. Find something you can live with.

How are your protein and fat macros? Are you reaching those goals?

For breakfast I like Greek yogurt sprinkled with chopped nuts & Fiber One cereal. This gives me lots of protein, some fat & some fiber. Eggs are great - protein & fat. Maybe cook up some egg patties (freeze them) and use these for egg and cheese English muffins. Look for some high fiber muffins. Homemade frozen breakfast burritos might be another option.

I took a look at a few diary days. Try to up your fiber intake....gradually. Whole fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, legumes.

Fiber intake for women should be in the neighborhood of 25 grams.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/fiber-how-much-do-you-need

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-15/default.htm
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,905 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are not eating the right macros to fill you up. See https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

Which meals in particular do not satisfy you? For example, were you ravenous after the Kroger Brand - Xtreme Trail Mix Bar or Simple Truth Energy Bar - Chocolate Fudge Brownie, but not after the Think Thin - Lemon Delight High Protein Bar, which has a better mix of protein and carbs IMO?

Grapes wouldn't do anything for me. I need fat and protein with fruit in order to feel full.

Similarly, your Yocrunch - Strawberry Yogurt doesn't have enough protein per carbs to keep me full.

Instead of eating 1,050 calories of pizza, try having half that with a high volume, low calorie food like salad. (Careful of the salad dressing.)

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat more protein. Normally I look at people's diaries and see they've cut fat way down but you're eating around 100 grams a day. I'm not a low fat person but I would suggest trying to cut down on fat grams and upping your protein in its place. The salad dressing and pizza and fried cheese wedges and movie popcorn are high in fat. You don't have to cut that stuff out but they are things that you could cut back on, considering you seem to eat them every day. You're eating around 2000+ calories per day. There's no reason to feel hungry eating at that level.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Random thoughts -

Totally stumped about the logic behind going from a filling sausage egg muffin to a granolar bar in the morning if you're going to blow 800+ calories on pizza or cinnamon rolls.
    I'd be starving with a granolar bar and fruit for breakfast.
    I see a lot of 'cup' entries that are probably not accurate.
    What's 'Italian cheese' and most cheeses are 100 calories or more an ounce.
    Ditch the yogurt and go for Greek yogurt instead for more protein (and it's more filling)
    Stop wasting 260 calories on salad dressing. Go for lower calorie dressing and increase the veggies.
    Eat more protein (130g for 2200 calories)
    I love pizza but 1000 calories of pizza is probably not the best choice
    Cinnamon roll every day plus 300 calories of random granola (including the one in yogurt, I assume) = not a good use of your calories.

So... More veggies, 2/3 servings of fruit, weigh your food instead of guessing, more protein. Try to meet your fiber goal... you're way too low. Fiber makes you full. Go for a good mix of protein, fat, and fiber for all your meals AND snacks (ok, pick two of those).

Some ideas...

Egg and fruit for breakfast with an English muffin or something
    More veggies in your salad at lunch, with low fat dressing - or a low carb wrap with meat/cheese and a side salad
    Snacks - I'd only have one a day, personally, but make it some Greek yogurt and fruit or cheese and fruit
    Dinner - protein and veggies (frozen veggies are easy!) plus a small potato (got to weigh it, most 'medium' potatoes are closer to 150 calories FYI)
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Cedura wrote: »
    I should specify I am using the Protein granola bars like Luna and Kashi for breakfast.

With only 6 g of protein, that Kashi bar is not a protein bar.

62102e5bbdda1d10571346b02737df62.png

I eat those. I carry them with me when I'm hiking. They are a snack, not a meal.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Another vote for more fiber. Double what you're currently getting. Preferably via whole foods rather than fiber bars.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The common ratio that seems to get thrown around for something being "high protein" is 10 to 1. As in if your bar has 200 calories it should have 20 grams of protein. This isn't a firm "rule" of course but I bring it up only because protein is a "thing" right now. It's the new "low carb." It's like every item you see is advertising it has protein by slapping it on the front of the label. If something has 200 calories and 5g of protein it's not even beating the amount of protein 200 calories of broccoli would have (just an example, I don't know the values of the items you mentioned). The broccoli would probably even have more volume and keep you fuller longer. No chocolate through of course.

EDIT: My "protein" bar I had for breakfast is a good example of this. 190 calories, 10g of protein. Protein is literally part of the name of the product even though that's not really THAT much protein.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm a little confused. You say you are supposed to eat low-fat and low-sugar. But looking at your diary for the last week and you are eating pretty high fat and high sugar. And the foods you say you ditched aren't foods I would think would be high fat or high sugar. Honestly, I would be stuffed if I was eating what you are logging, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. But I wanted to say, if you are trying to lower the fat and sugar in your diet, you shouldn't be eating breakfast bars, pizza, and YoCrunch yogurt every day. There's nothing wrong with those foods in general, but they're counter-productive for what you said your goals were.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    More protein and fiber. I'm assuming you're grabbing bars or sandwiches in the morning because of time. If the gas station breakfast filled you up, it's not hard to make breakfast sandwiches ahead of time that would shave off a few calories, but still keep you satisfied.

I don't eat a lot of salad, but I do eat a lot of soup, chili, stew, curry, and stuffed vegetables. Maybe you should take a look at some healthy food blogs (Skinnytaste.com is very popular, but there are many more) and see if there are a few things that look tasty to you. If you have no plan and no easy ingredients or quick meals at your disposal, it's much more appealing to just say F-it and order some pizza and cinnamon buns.
  • Cedura
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I will try adding boiled egg to my breakfast meal to see if that helps going into next week.

I know the pizza has to go. It is too high in carbs and bad fat.

"Protein will help to make you feel fuller longer. So will fat. Is there any reason why you are supposed to limit fats? Fats are not bad for you and as a matter of fact, quite the opposite."

I do not know why the program wants us to avoid high fat foods. I decided to avoid high fat foods that involve deep frying or breaded pan fried things. But I plan on adding nuts to my list of snacks next week. I do wish the program had given better guidelines on the fat. This is the only guidelines they gave u in the program.

schzt29wnhgt.png

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Find foods that keep you most full. Typically it's fibers + protein/carbs or all equally. Try one day each and see how it works.
  • kellis777
    kellis777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try oatmeal in the morning instead of the granola bar. You can add in fruit (blueberries would be great!) to your oats to fulfill your 1/2 cup requirement for the day. I promise, oats will keep you FULL! You can even add in a a scoop of protein powder to your oats to give it some flavor. That will help hold you over too.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I know the pizza has to go. It is too high in carbs and bad fat.

One of the quickest meals I make for my family when we're rushed is individual pita/tortilla/flatbread pizza. I just make sure the bread is 80-110 calories, use my homemade marinara, part skim mozz and toppings. One whole pizza is like 300 calories - the pita is the one most like a traditional crust.

Broil one side until browned, turn over and put sauce, cheese and toppings, then broil until cheese is melted. Takes under 10 mins.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    But egg white delight breakfast sandwiches... are so good.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Random thoughts -

Totally stumped about the logic behind going from a filling sausage egg muffin to a granolar bar in the morning if you're going to blow 800+ calories on pizza or cinnamon rolls.
    I'd be starving with a granolar bar and fruit for breakfast.
    I see a lot of 'cup' entries that are probably not accurate.
    What's 'Italian cheese' and most cheeses are 100 calories or more an ounce.
    Ditch the yogurt and go for Greek yogurt instead for more protein (and it's more filling)
    Stop wasting 260 calories on salad dressing. Go for lower calorie dressing and increase the veggies.
    Eat more protein (130g for 2200 calories)
    I love pizza but 1000 calories of pizza is probably not the best choice
    Cinnamon roll every day plus 300 calories of random granola (including the one in yogurt, I assume) = not a good use of your calories.

So... More veggies, 2/3 servings of fruit, weigh your food instead of guessing, more protein. Try to meet your fiber goal... you're way too low. Fiber makes you full. Go for a good mix of protein, fat, and fiber for all your meals AND snacks (ok, pick two of those).

Some ideas...

Egg and fruit for breakfast with an English muffin or something
    More veggies in your salad at lunch, with low fat dressing - or a low carb wrap with meat/cheese and a side salad
    Snacks - I'd only have one a day, personally, but make it some Greek yogurt and fruit or cheese and fruit
    Dinner - protein and veggies (frozen veggies are easy!) plus a small potato (got to weigh it, most 'medium' potatoes are closer to 150 calories FYI)

That was my thought, too, whether or not OP was going to have pizza and cinnamon rolls later. There is no way that a granola bar of any type would satisfy me like a sausage and egg muffin. I'd have to eat at least three of them to get close.

OP, there are some good suggestions for changes up-thread, but ultimately you need to experiment to figure out what works for you. Satiety is an individual thing.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that if your previous food choices were satisfying to you, why not take a look at those and make some MINOR adjustments to get closer to this wellness program's requirements. See if that works. If it does, then tweak further.
  • eussoob
    eussoob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try more whole foods, and less processed. You can eat a whole lot of fruits and vegetables instead of a granola bar. I agree with limiting fat, but you need fat, so only limit it so far. Good fats are great, fats from sausage and cheese probably not so much. If you like Avocados eat 1/2 on any salad. Add garbanzo beans to any salad or lentils for protein. Roast some veggies in the oven. I made cauliflower the other day and put garlic, onions, turmeric, a little soy sauce, and ginger on it. It's amazing and you can eat a lot. I used 2 TBSP of oil for a whole tray. Make some soup.. you can add lentils and lot of veggies, potatoes, and lots of seasoning. You will be full.