any rhabdomyolysis victims?! help please!

Hey there I got rhabdo in November last year, but I have not worked out since I got the rhabdo in my quads and I wanted to see what exercises u did to ease back in, like should I just start with cardio for a month I'm just terrified to get it again. My quads don't feel %100 they are a little weak every now and then in the cold but idk if that will ever go away. Any input helps thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    What did the doctor who treated you for rhabdo recommend?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Presumably you didn't have it severely enough to have kidney damage?

From what I hear it's entirely possible to recover as long as you didn't do irreversible damage to your kidneys.

Just don't be a numpty and rush back into hardcore exercise. Take your time. What's the rush. Consult with the medical staff who treated you and construct a plan to ease you back and regain the strength in your quads.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Stay away from crossfit
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    He didn't give me much info just whenever I feel better I can start again I'm just not sure how to start and what exercises to do to not get it again.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Stay away from crossfit

^^ this and listen to what your treating doctor advised.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    He didn't give me much info just whenever I feel better I can start again I'm just not sure how to start and what exercises to do to not get it again.

Have a read of this:

http://yourlivingbody.com/return-to-physical-activity-after-rhabdomyolysis/

specifically
    Last of all, don’t be an idiot. Pay attention to nutrition. Hydrate yourself accordingly and give special attention to electrolytes and protein supplementation. Also, avoid drugs, alcohol, and caffeine as these can all precipitate recurrent rhabdomyolysis. If you take statins for cholesterol control, talk with your doctor as taking statins also puts you at an increased risk for developing rhabdomyolysis. In addition to nutrition, pay attention to your environment. Avoid excessive cold or excessively hot environments and most importantly avoid activities that will lead to excessive muscle failure so you don’t end up where you once were.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    lalainap19 wrote: »

Have a read of this:

http://yourlivingbody.com/return-to-physical-activity-after-rhabdomyolysis/

specifically
    Last of all, don’t be an idiot. Pay attention to nutrition. Hydrate yourself accordingly and give special attention to electrolytes and protein supplementation. Also, avoid drugs, alcohol, and caffeine as these can all precipitate recurrent rhabdomyolysis. If you take statins for cholesterol control, talk with your doctor as taking statins also puts you at an increased risk for developing rhabdomyolysis. In addition to nutrition, pay attention to your environment. Avoid excessive cold or excessively hot environments and most importantly avoid activities that will lead to excessive muscle failure so you don’t end up where you once were.

This helped me so much thanks!

• PteFabulous
    PteFabulous Posts: 16 Member
    Just ease back into it as tolerated and drink lots of water. Definitely don't start out by running a marathon, but start slow and increase activity based on how you feel.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Stay away from crossfit

That's just a stupid comment. CrossFit doesn't cause Rhabdo. Not having common sense, more often than not, does.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I'd do a full-body routine for a while, not a body part split, which is more damaging.
    Ramp up slow - one set per muscle group the first week, 2 sets the 2nd & 3rd week, and 3 sets after, assuming blood tests are normal.
    Ample calorie intake, ample carbs, to minimize muscle breakdown. Don't work out in a fasted state. :+1:
  • queenliz99
    edited January 2016
    9d63aamgdfnm.gif
    Stay away from crossfit

That's just a stupid comment. CrossFit doesn't cause Rhabdo. Not having common sense, more often than not, does.

What about my comment? Common sense says she should stay away from CrossFit. If it happened once it could happen again.
    1.gif 935.7K
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    9d63aamgdfnm.gif
    Stay away from crossfit

What about my comment? Common sense says she should stay away from CrossFit. If it happened once it could happen again.

I don't see anywhere Op said they got this from doing Crossfit. Did I miss that?

I'd go by what the doctors say. My point is there are plenty of other strenuous activities that can cause this, not just CF. I have no problem if the recommendation is to stay away from all strenuous activity, but if it's just to ease back into things and not push too hard too quickly, that's easily doable in CF through scaling. A good coach would be able to ease someone into the workouts. Scaling is why a 300+ pound morbidly obese person can do CrossFit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    9d63aamgdfnm.gif
    Stay away from crossfit

I don't see anywhere Op said they got this from doing Crossfit. Did I miss that?

I'd go by what the doctors say. My point is there are plenty of other strenuous activities that can cause this, not just CF. I have no problem if the recommendation is to stay away from all strenuous activity, but if it's just to ease back into things and not push too hard too quickly, that's easily doable in CF through scaling. A good coach would be able to ease someone into the workouts. Scaling is why a 300+ pound morbidly obese person can do CrossFit.

Ya, you missed her earlier thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10294984/help-please-rhabdo/p1 which included this link from another poster: http://crossfitimpulse.com/rhabdo-and-crossfit/
  • queenliz99
    9d63aamgdfnm.gif
    Stay away from crossfit

Ya, you missed her earlier thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10294984/help-please-rhabdo/p1

Thank you, beat me to it!
  • Upstate_Dunadan

Ahh, I see. Well what the Op said in that post is the exact thing the article warned about

Per the article -
    Next, rhabdo usually strikes someone who has been away from intense exercise for a while and then jumps back in with too much volume and intensity. Someone who has been very fit in the past and has taken six months off must ramp up volume slowly as he returns to intense exercise. This type of athlete has the mind and the determination to push himself beyond his body’s capabilities—where rhabdo lives.

and per Op in the other thread -
    I worked out for 1 intend hour on Tuesday evening legs only. I have not worked out in the gym for about 1 year.

I still wouldn't rule CrossFit out. That's not what caused this. Not scaling and taking it easy first time back after a year is. I would question whether the Coach new this was a first timer back in the gym and whether there was any caution to take things easy. Most CF gyms won't let you just jump into a WOD. There are fundamental classes you need to take before you get anywhere near a true WOD.
  • queenliz99

Ahh, I see. Well what the Op said in that post is the exact thing the article warned about

Per the article -
    Next, rhabdo usually strikes someone who has been away from intense exercise for a while and then jumps back in with too much volume and intensity. Someone who has been very fit in the past and has taken six months off must ramp up volume slowly as he returns to intense exercise. This type of athlete has the mind and the determination to push himself beyond his body’s capabilities—where rhabdo lives.

I worked out for 1 intend hour on Tuesday evening legs only. I have not worked out in the gym for about 1 year.

I still wouldn't rule CrossFit out. That's not what caused this. Not scaling and taking it easy first time back after a year is. I would question whether the Coach new this was a first timer back in the gym and whether there was any caution to take things easy. Most CF gyms won't let you just jump into a WOD. There are fundamental classes you need to take before you get anywhere near a true WOD.

But how do you know most CF gyms won't let let you just jump in? We have 3 CF gyms open within a 1 mile radius of my home within the last year. I would say chances are your statement is sweeping.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2016

Per the article -

But how do you know most CF gyms won't let let you just jump in? We have 3 CF gyms open within a 1 mile radius of my home within the last year. I would say chances are your statement is sweeping.

I've done CF and I've travelled to other CF gyms in other countries. I have CF friends online. I haven't heard of it happening. Not to say it doesn't happen, but as a general rule, CF boxes have to follow the CF guidelines to be able to be "CrossFit". There are always those that will skirt or outright break the rules but I'm willing to be that it is the exception, not the rule.

FTR - the only person I've ever known to end up with Rhabdo had just finished an Ironman triathlon. You can get it from any type of sport, not just CrossFit.
    If we are warning OP away from CrossFit on the basis of having come down with rhabdo, we should also warn her away from running, rowing, cross country skiing and she probably shouldn't apply for the military as it happens during basic training sometimes as well.
  • queenliz99

Per the article -

I've done CF and I've travelled to other CF gyms in other countries. I have CF friends online. I haven't heard of it happening. Not to say it doesn't happen, but as a general rule, CF boxes have to follow the CF guidelines to be able to be "CrossFit". There are always those that will skirt or outright break the rules but I'm willing to be that it is the exception, not the rule.

FTR - the only person I've ever known to end up with Rhabdo had just finished an Ironman triathlon. You can get it from any type of sport, not just CrossFit.
    If we are warning OP away from CrossFit on the basis of having come down with rhabdo, we should also warn her away from running, rowing, cross country skiing and she probably shouldn't apply for the military as it happens during basic training sometimes as well.

That is even better advice, thank you. Rhabdo sounds ridicoulsy dangerous, if I were her living to a ripe old age sounds much better.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

Per the article -

Exercise induced rhabdo is extremely rare, it's normally the result of an accident, disease or drug use.

OP, out of curiosity, what was the genesis of your rhabdo? Was it a physcial injury?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Per the article -

Exercise induced rhabdo is extremely rare, it's normally the result of an accident, disease or drug use.

OP, out of curiosity, what was the genesis of your rhabdo? Was it a physcial injury?

Yes, I realize that. Which is why I was stating if we are going to avoid activity out of fear of it there are many we should avoid.
    I am not sure what the risk of re-occurance is or if it is greater if you have experienced it before.