How do i motivate myself to go to the gym?

Options
emptyingpens
emptyingpens Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I may be 10 lbs lighter than I was in January but its not from exercising and therefore I am still unhappy with my weight. i know my stomach will still jut out slightly no matter how much i weigh until i work out and make it tighter. But even though I know this, I do not know how to make myself prioritize the gym. I belong to one and I've been there before because of my parents making me and then afterwards i feel accomplished. but i dont know how to make myself get there on my own.:(

Replies

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym I told myself I was going to go no matter what. I always went right after work so I treated it as though I actually got off work at 4:30 instead of 3:00. That way I forced myself to not make plans until after. This was hard at the start. I often wanted to go do other things that I usually did right after work..When I started working on strength focus (I was doing stronglifts 5x5) I became so excited to see if I could progress my weights on the workout that I couldn't wait to get to the gym.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Either go or don't go. Motivation doesn't get the blame when an adult doesn't do what they said they would do
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    When I first started going to the gym I told myself I was going to go no matter what. I always went right after work so I treated it as though I actually got off work at 4:30 instead of 3:00. That way I forced myself to not make plans until after. This was hard at the start. I often wanted to go do other things that I usually did right after work..When I started working on strength focus (I was doing stronglifts 5x5) I became so excited to see if I could progress my weights on the workout that I couldn't wait to get to the gym.

Ditto! My gym time is considered part of my work day.

And I can't agree enough that once you find an activity you like and you see progress you look forward to your gym sessions. Not all the time, of course. But that's where making a habit to just GO first is important. But you also have to have a specific plan for each time you go so that you don't wander around and waste time and so that the exercises you do are purposeful and effective. Whatever you do, put in all your effort! Make that time worth it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Find a workout partner. Peer pressure is a great motivator.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Either go or don't go. Motivation doesn't get the blame when an adult doesn't do what they said they would do

This. It's either a priority or it isn't. Decide for yourself what it is and then follow through with your actions.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, stop looking for some magical emotional incentive, and just take yourself to the gym. How did your parents "make" you go to the gym? Because unless they tied you up and literally carried you there, then you had to have some measure of consent. Whatever they did to "make" you go, do that to yourself. Be your own superego.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of deciding what's important to you and how badly you want it.

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Do you have/are you planning to follow any kind of workout plan? If not, I can see why you're hesitant to go. It's intimidating walking in and not really knowing where to start.

Motivation waxes and wanes; you have to learn discipline.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    The gym isn't the only place to get in shape. You can work out in your living room, backyard, park, jail cell. The earth can be your gym. Either figure out ways to like the gym or find someplace else that excites you.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Put your shoes on and go.
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I may be 10 lbs lighter than I was in January but its not from exercising and therefore I am still unhappy with my weight. i know my stomach will still jut out slightly no matter how much i weigh until i work out and make it tighter. But even though I know this, I do not know how to make myself prioritize the gym. I belong to one and I've been there before because of my parents making me and then afterwards i feel accomplished. but i dont know how to make myself get there on my own.:(

I find that lifting weights helps to motivate me. Doing cardio is a big part of it but, when I lift, I feel stronger, I feel good. Mix in some weights and that may help.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    It's not about motivation. I'm motivated to be a fat, lazy slob on a couch because at my core, I'm a fat, lazy slob who likes television. I go to the gym (or work out elsewhere) because I force myself to go. Motivation doesn't really play a part. You can either choose to go or choose to not.
  • Smash_Dub
    Smash_Dub Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I wake up at 5:00 a.m. and it's 30 degrees outside, my #1 thought is "I hate this so much. I dont have any energy to run, this is gonna suck so hard. I want to crawl back into my warm bed." But then I remind myself that this has happened many times before, and every single time I am finished working out, I feel amazing. No longer tired or cold and lethargic.

My theory:You never regret a workout. Keep telling yourself that anytime you find an excuse not to go. You will regret NOT going, but you will never regret GOING.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    All the motivation I need.

b00ecee750f860039f5ef5698943dcaade695ad74e716e47e685bec7920d025a.jpg
  • Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I actually go in the morning before work (4:30am... yikes), but it's the only way I can make sure that i'm not "too tired" or "too busy" or "something came up". Motivation can be external but for the most part it comes from inside of you. Take a picture of yourself where you're not hiding and hang it somewhere you will see it every day. If staring at it won't make you get up and change yourself then you may not really want to change at all.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you could do a sticker chart. we're doing one at home for my two year old and her potty training. it works for her, it might work for you too!!!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The gym isn't the only place to get in shape. You can work out in your living room, backyard, park, jail cell. The earth can be your gym. Either figure out ways to like the gym or find someplace else that excites you.

This - if you have to find a way to motivate yourself to go to the gym, you probably won't make it a habit. If your goals include being more active/toning up/etc., find something else that excites you. Take exercise classes that involve things you are interested in. Play a team sport. Go swimming. Snag a bike and go for a ride. Whatever. There is more to fitness than just a gym.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Paying for something I'm not using would be motivation enough for me.

Personally, though, I hated going TO the gym. It just seemed like a big time waster, since the commute to and fro took almost as much time as my actual workout. So I quit it, do my running outdoors, and bought a weight bench that I use at home, in front of the tv, where I can scoop the cat box or do a load of laundry or play Candy Crush or read between sets without anyone waiting for me to finish.

I recently picked up a Roku so I could watch Netflix on that old tv. Now I lift weights with Sam & Dean Winchester. That's motivation!
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've learned to go after work. I pack my gym bag the night before and take it to work with me so then I go right after work. I do this because if I go home first, I get comfortable and don't go to the gym. I don't go in the morning because I'm not a morning person. I also take my gym bag into work because it reminds me throughout the day that I'm going to the gym (I work in a cubicle and just stick it under my desk).
  • VeryCarrie6969
    VeryCarrie6969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Right here. This is what it's about!