How do i motivate myself to go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    joey4014 wrote: »
    Don't put any extra rules on yourself. Start off with saying I'm just gonna go to the gym. Even if you just go, walk slowly on the treadmill and do some stretching. Once your there things will start happening.

That's really good advice. I'm gonna borrow that for the future, if you don't mind.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Somewhere I heard, "Put on all your workout clothes and then decide whether or not you want to go to the gym" and 100% of the time, I've gone.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As others have said...just go! Whether you want to or not, whether you think you're "too tired" or not, JUST GO. After a while (several weeks of going regularly) it will become a habit and you'll start noticing the effect of the endorphins. Instead of "Oh, I'm too tired to go to the gym," you'll find yourself thinking "Oh! I have no energy! I must go to the gym and get some." No, really. This will happen if you stick with it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Also, if you work out in the evening, workout right away. Either go straight to the gym or workout once you get home. Don't sit down. Just change into your workout gear and get to it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Don't put any extra rules on yourself. Start off with saying I'm just gonna go to the gym. Even if you just go, walk slowly on the treadmill and do some stretching. Once your there things will start happening. And like Myshell said: having a partner is great.
    ^ This!

This same topic has been all over the boards recently, there's some awesome tips and responses on this thread I'm sure someone will find helpful. :)
  • nursetiff4lyfe
    nursetiff4lyfe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have your gym clothes already in car as well a after work snack and bottle of water that way you make no excuse having to go home. And just straight work. The hardest part is actually the mindset get there. Once you're parking lot you've won!.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Find a workout partner. Peer pressure is a great motivator.
    I disagree, because if your partner ends up not being dedicated then you are left with nothing. You have to motivate yourself. I have had workout partners come and go, but I have been consistent.

• TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I may be 10 lbs lighter than I was in January but its not from exercising and therefore I am still unhappy with my weight. i know my stomach will still jut out slightly no matter how much i weigh until i work out and make it tighter. But even though I know this, I do not know how to make myself prioritize the gym. I belong to one and I've been there before because of my parents making me and then afterwards i feel accomplished. but i dont know how to make myself get there on my own.:(

Simple

Get a full lenght mirror and a skipping rope. Strip naked, start skipping. You would be amazed at how hard it is to look good skipping naked.
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Somewhere I heard, "Put on all your workout clothes and then decide whether or not you want to go to the gym" and 100% of the time, I've gone.

You're welcome.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    "How do i motivate myself to go to the gym?"

Stand nude in front of a full length mirror.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    "How do i motivate myself to go to the gym?"

Stand nude in front of a full length mirror.

EXACTLY!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Oh good gosh folks, either you want to go to the gym or you don't.

Why did you buy a membership? So it can suck the money out of your account each week/month? And does this put the miles on your feet? NOPE..

Get the workout gear on and go or don't go.. I guess I am in one of those moods today where excuses left the door a while ago.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the no-nonsense sassypants above, but also I remind myself that I always feel great after I workout. Nobody ever works out and regrets it, but a lot of us are where we are because we regret not doing it. I always tell myself that I love to go, because I love to take care of myself. Be grateful that you can afford a membership, a lot of people can't and their challenge is even more intense doing it without.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Don't put any extra rules on yourself. Start off with saying I'm just gonna go to the gym. Even if you just go, walk slowly on the treadmill and do some stretching. Once your there things will start happening. And like Myshell said: having a partner is great.

This is how I did it at first. I was ok in my mind with just doing 5 minutes.

I never did just 5 minutes once I got there, but the accomplishment was just getting to the gym, once there everything kind of falls into place.

• dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just get there, get in the door! Once there, you go to the next step. Get there. Get undressed. The rest is a logical progression. Work out! Go home. Repeat!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kuroshii wrote: »
    As others have said...just go! Whether you want to or not, whether you think you're "too tired" or not, JUST GO. After a while (several weeks of going regularly) it will become a habit and you'll start noticing the effect of the endorphins. Instead of "Oh, I'm too tired to go to the gym," you'll find yourself thinking "Oh! I have no energy! I must go to the gym and get some." No, really. This will happen if you stick with it.

This is true!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Have a look at what you might consider negatives of going to the gym and see if you can do anything about them.
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    if you want it that bad you will go
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Also, if you work out in the evening, workout right away. Either go straight to the gym or workout once you get home. Don't sit down. Just change into your workout gear and get to it.

This is it for me. Get home, change into workout duds, grab the computer and a water bottle, to the basement, log onto FitnessBlender, my calendar, start the planned workout for today, I'm warming up before I know what I'm doing. Before I can complain to myself, "we're" half way done. Might as well finish, the cool down stretches feel so good. There, that wasn't so bad. Feeling kinda good right now, I'm glad I did that.

Puppy needs a walk then, shower and dinner.

My after work workout. It's what I do.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have fit it in my life and it has to become habit. It's not something I have to think about.
    The downside is when I do have to stay at work and absolutely no other option, or have another commitment (parents evening or similar) I feel really grumpy about missing my planned exercise and then have to fit that time elsewhere. I took the day off yesterday as parents evening clashed with my exercise time so that I could still fit it in..