Eating All the Calories and Still Hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cedura wrote: »
    I will try adding boiled egg to my breakfast meal to see if that helps going into next week.

I know the pizza has to go. It is too high in carbs and bad fat.

"Protein will help to make you feel fuller longer. So will fat. Is there any reason why you are supposed to limit fats? Fats are not bad for you and as a matter of fact, quite the opposite."

I do not know why the program wants us to avoid high fat foods. I decided to avoid high fat foods that involve deep frying or breaded pan fried things. But I plan on adding nuts to my list of snacks next week. I do wish the program had given better guidelines on the fat. This is the only guidelines they gave u in the program.

schzt29wnhgt.png

It makes sense to avoid high fat foods because they are typically a lot of calories. Doesn't mean you can't have them, but yeah... limit them. I honestly have fried food maybe once every other month, and it's typically a donut...

And that program seemed ok until I read that they count fruit juice as a fruit serving... for me it goes in the 'high sugar' category and you're much better off eating the whole fruit (but I see you haven't been drinking juice, so good for you). And 3 servings of fruit would be too much for me, honestly. And you're eating grapes, which really are not the most filling choice - go for berries, apples, or an orange instead.

I got to add though - are you trying to lose weight? Because it seems to be a maintenance plan anyway, not a weight loss plan.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts on today's menu:

Spreading out your foods across the day and eating only 100 or 200 calories at the time may not be for you. 140 calories at 8 am did not fill you up, so you stayed hungry. 62 calories at 11 did nothing to fill up your already hungry stomach. By the time lunch rolled around you were probably so hungry that you wanted to eat alot more, but you stayed with your plan, which is good, but it still didn't fill you up. Perhaps bigger meals and fewer snacks would be more satisfying.

Over the course of the day, you had an awful lot of sugar. 55 of the 87 grams of carbs that you logged were sugars. If you're looking to reduce sugar (which is not a goal I necessary think you need), then you might want to reconsider choices like grapes and this particular type of yogurt. (gram for gram, grapes have a bit more sugar and bit less fiber than some other fruits like apples or oranges. Again, not knocking the grapes. Love the grapes.) But for just a few more calories you could have a boiled egg instead of the grapes, and get your protein and fat up for the morning.

Instead of 260 calories worth of salad dressing, I'd either use less or switch to a lower calorie variety, and add alot more vegetables to that salad, and (like others said) more chicken. More fiber, more complex carbs, and lots of volume to fill you up. What you'd be sacrificing is some of the fat, but I think you're proportion of fat would still be pretty good - especially if you add that egg earlier in the day.
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try making smoothies in the morning with fruits and vegetables and adding fiber. Fruits: any type but I encourage bananas as one of the fruits for the potassium but you can add anything you like. I love to put Kale in my smoothies but many also use spinach. But to get that fiber to make me feel "full" (not stuffed) I add flaxseed or chia seeds. You could also add protein powders to them.

You can prepare them weekly and freeze them individually (I put them in snack size ziplock bags) so you only have to throw them in the blender and add your liquid (yogurt, coconut/almond milk, coconut water, etc). When you do this you don't have to add ice cubes which can water it down. So making a smoothie in the morning may seem like it takes time but preparing them once a week really makes it easy.

If you use a tart fruit, I add some type of sweetener like a small amount of agave nectar which is 1 1/2 times sweeter than sugar so you can use less.

All of this will allow you to get fruits and vegetables as well as feel full. This will also help you feel energized for the day.

Also drink lots of water (no sugary drinks) throughout the day. This will help you to feel fuller.
  • Cedura
    Cedura Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all these tips! I knew I shouldn't feel this hungry so I must be doing something wrong. It seems I cut some of the wrong things and also added things that weren't helpful.

I will add the egg in the morning, and also try to revisit my salad choices for lunch. I haven't quite figured dinner out yet- its usually whatever the roommates have lying around the house- but I need to find time in my day to change that too!

Hopefully with some new changes next week this will be more manageable and I will feel better about it all too.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've found that starting my day with fat and protein fills me up for hours. If I start with a granola bar i'll feel hungry very soon after. I used to try to save as many calories as I could till the end of the day so I could eat a big dinner and not go over. what I found when I did that was I would be so hungry by the time I got home that I would raid the fridge well before dinner, then I'd have to eat a small dinner or I'd go over. I felt like I was starving all the time. now that I spread it out more and eat enough fat and protein early I rarely feel hungry and can keep my calories in check easily.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I start my day with complex carbs and protein. Im full for hours. I eat plenty of eggs and greek yogurt as snacks. Ground turkey taco salads w/ spinach for lunches, or mexican meatloaf I got from WW recipe. Avacodos/guac for some good fats.
    Also think outside of the box for breakfast. Have some lean steak and an egg.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have found ever since I began working out more frequently, I seem to be hungry sooo much more than when i wasn't as active and could survive fine on about 1400 cals. Now, I easily surpass possibly 2000-25000. I am maintaining my weight too.

And I know this goes against the grain of myfitnesspal, but I stopped counting calories and listened to my body a bit more. Concentrate on eating good wholesome foods. It's perfectly fine to be consuming full fat products, and eating lots of protein and carbs from healthy sources.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i really need a combo of protein and fat to make me feel full.. i can't focus on one or the other.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein are your friends. Also, try drinking two 8 oz. glasses of water about 20 - 30 minutes before you eat, seems to help me feel a little less hungry when I sit down to eat.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've read (and some of what my doctors have discussed with me, some of the reasons you can feel hungry are:
    1. Your metabolism is fast enough that the calculations for how many calories you need are too low for what you ACTUALLy need. This one is pretty easy to see because if you are eating at maintenance level, feel hungry, AND start to lose weight, it's a sign that your estimated calories are too low.

2. You need more of some marco-nutrient like protein, fat, carbs, etc... (like many have mentioned). What YOU need is going to be individual for your body, though.

3. You need more of a micro-nutrient, like vitamins or minerals. The body can make you feel hungry - trying to get you to eat more - when you need more of a vitamin or mineral, too.

Maybe at first, see if you are low in anything, and try to correct that, see if it helps?