Do you set dates for your goals?

Options
Just wondering whether people set specific dates to meet their weight loss or fitness goals, or not? And your reason for doing so? So far I've set myself mini goals and dates to achieve them but have more often than not felt discouraged if I don't reach them... water weight fluctuations are particularly frustrating. I might start weighing myself every day and tracking averages instead.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    no...very the very reason you stated. weight loss in particular isn't a linear process so setting a date is kind of stupid...your body doesn't work that way. also, there's all kinds of things that can happen in life that would interfere with hitting some goal by some date...injury, illness, unexpected life stuff, etc.

i set goals and i set out to achieve those goals....it takes as long as it takes.
  • Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yup ! sure do but I set small weekly/monthly goals now... I used to set big ones and get very discouraged :)
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just weigh myself every day and be happy when it drops, I don't log it to mfp when my weigh rises because of water since it will be gone in couple of days anyway. It's going to be long project to drop 120 lbs and setting dates to it would be just depressing and most likely would make me quit within a month. How about you set a reward for losing x weight instead? Get something nice whenever you lose some weight or achieve some fitness goal :smile:
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've got a few. They're generally the date of races or required by government. For example, I have to get my BMI down to 27 by the end of August in order to get my healthcare discount. But overall goals are pretty open.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Initial weight loss? No. I had some loose goal dates when I wanted cut to be lean enough to bulk because well...I didn't want to be bulking in the summer. I have a loose end date for the bulk as well. Just kind of a general time frame. I really don't like setting exact goal dates.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It is best not to. I was hoping to have reached my goal by now, but I needed a HUGE mental break. And I am fine with it, especially because I am still within a healthy BMI and now I am back at it and my head is in the right place. I had an idea for where I wanted to be for when I got married, and fortunately I more or less hit it, but I was very burnt out by the end (worth in my case, I was very happy to be looking my best for my wedding). But I put on about 10 pounds after because I tried to hard to reach it. Now that the wedding is over, I am losing again but at a more relaxed pace, which I think is WAY better
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I set goals too. But they are not set in stone for me. They're just a target for me to aim for. If I reach them great, if not I continue and yes set a new goal.

I have monthly goals, milestones, and an ultimate goal. So far it has helped me. I guess I work better with something to focus on. Everyone is different. If you feel discouraged, could it be that your goals are too harsh or that you just do not like the whole concept??? I know plenty of people who prefer not to set goals, they feel under pressure etc. Do what works and is best for you.

• tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I give myself a time Yes. For instance I really do well when I look forward to something. Going on a beach vacation in March so this completely gets me motivated. Also a reunion in August. I'm in beast mode! Unfortunately my weight can adjust with stress. If anyone coukd come up with being stress free. I'll buy it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes i set dates, but then i structure that period of time to make sure i'll meet that goal. I don't just set a date and sit back and wait. I actively worked towards hitting that goal on that date. I make sure i know exactly what i have to do each day to make that goal happen. For example if its weight loss, i divide up the weight i want to lose by the number of days, and then calculate what my deficit needs to be each day, and i make that happen daily either through diet or additional exercise. And my weight loss goals aren't scale goals, they are accumulated calorie deficit goals, something i have 100% control over. 3500 calories is 1 pound, so if i want to lose 10 pounds i know i need to have an accumulated deficit of 35,000 over a period of time. So that's how i set my weight loss goals.
    It works, and even if i dont hit my goal on the scale i'm generally close enough to be super happy with myself and excited and encouraged about setting another goal date.
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ehhh, all it does is add more unnecessary crap to worry about. It's like trying to catch one particular fish in a pond with a flimsy spear. Just cast a huge net and as long as you're looking ripped and good by summer, all is good. B)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Weight loss goals? Nope. I hope to be a certain weight by Memorial Day but if I'm not, I'm still ending my cut and not cutting again until at least next January.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have set mini goals per month. I like working toward something specific. I try to be sure they are doable. It does motivate me and I like knowing I'm getting to my more final goal. 4 lbs a month is what I'm doing at this point, but it's slow and tough for these last few lbs. Before, id "closet shop"trying to get in a too tight favorite pair of pants or dress. Sometimes seeing the difference in clothes kept me encouraged even when the scale didn't show it yet. I have lost 70 lbs since last February. I am 60 years old. If I can do this, anyone can!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have a monthly doctor appointment. I generally like to have lost a certain amount of weight before I go in each month. I don't have an end date that I'll freak out if I'm not done by.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't have a particular date to lose my weight I am just letting it happen.
    54363683.png
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Not as far as weight loss, no. As long as I saw myself consistently losing it was all good. To me it was enough work on its own without holding myself to a timeframe.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I set goals, but no dates.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I set goals with ideas or big picture concepts in my mind of ballpark ranges, but it always changes. Oftentimes I build more muscle than expected and end up wanting to lose less, that's always nice...
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Christ it took me 1 month to loose half my weight and 8 months so lose another 6 lbs! No goals here haha
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Officially, no. Unofficially I'm aiming for 5 lbs/ month. Its ok if I don't make it, as long as the scale isn't going up any more!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I set time-relevant expectations - if I'm following my diet and exercise plan correctly I should be losing or gaining x / week. If, over a few months, I don't see that I adjust. Some goals have and end date because they are related to an event; a training plan for an event needs to be met. But on the other hand, goals shouldn't be such that they become barriers from the artificial stress they create.

Goals need to be well-held but loosely.