ugh! you're supposed to be my friend!

Options
2»

Replies

• sweet_t2483
    sweet_t2483 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't post MFP stuff on FB - my MFP friends are here for the same reason I am. They're the support I need on this journey. My close friends and family know why I'm dieting and support me 100%. My other FB friends haven't a clue that I'm dieting and really it's not their business, although I'm pretty sure all of them would be supportive.

This guy sounds like an *kitten* who in reality is unhappy with his true self. Unfriend OR quit posting to FB.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    my suggestion, don't link this stuff up to your facebook.

Yes, this. :smile: I have my weight loss and blog posts go to Facebook, but not my food or exercise logs. Your "friend" shouldn't be so negative, but I can imagine it gets repetitive seeing the same things coming up on their newsfeed day after day, like Mafia Wars and Farmville status updates. :wink:
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your positiveness! When I told him that I wanted to lose weight the healthy way he tried to tell me that eating only works for thin people, fat people need to starve. He also said that he is a certified nutritionist... which is a scary thought. He's more overweight than I am so the way I feel about it is "people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones". I post on FB to keep me accountable, I don't care if people know that I'm on a diet, I can even deal with negative comments to a point. I just don't understand why he feels the need to constantly slam me. He does comment on EVERYTHING I post, not just my diet stuff but he's only rude when it comes to food.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Unlike what many here are suggesting I wouldn't change sharing my diary and I wouldn't remove him. Then again I'm not you. If you can make it work so that those nasty and negative comments become 'positive energy'. Some amount of why it hurts when people say something to us is that they have a hint of the truth if not a complete truth. An example would be when I bought a bike and someone said to me: "let's see now how much dust it collects". So I transformed that into positive energy. I did not use the bike just to proof that person wrong but if I didn't stick to my own plan anyone, even myself could have seen in fact that dust had accumulated on the bike.
    Back to your own situation. It seems like some of the mocking from that guy is completely unreasonable so just tell yourself: "You think I'm doing wrong, what would happened if I followed his advice? Is what I'm doing working for me? and if the answers are 'nothing good' and 'yes'. Then you will be prepared to deflect any negative comments from this guy and anyone else, cause they are coming, and you will not always be able to 'unfriend' or block the negativity. You have to be prepared.
  • carradoc
    carradoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who I hadn't seen for a while. He said to me "God you are fat"! I replied "God youe are bald"! He told me not to be so rude. I laughed and said at least I can diet!

I would ignore him. He isn't doing you any favours and it sounds to me as if he is talking through his insecurities and failings. I wouldn't confide in him and ask him any questions about your goals and targets. Choose to find better friends who understand what you are trying to do. You are doing well, so keep it up.

If he is rude then feel free to be rude back. Lets face it a fat nutrionalist is a joke in itself!

Good luck.
  • hello_kitty3
    Options
    I had a friend who I hadn't seen for a while. He said to me "God you are fat"! I replied "God youe are bald"! He told me not to be so rude. I laughed and said at least I can diet!

I would ignore him. He isn't doing you any favours and it sounds to me as if he is talking through his insecurities and failings. I wouldn't confide in him and ask him any questions about your goals and targets. Choose to find better friends who understand what you are trying to do. You are doing well, so keep it up.

If he is rude then feel free to be rude back. Lets face it a fat nutrionalist is a joke in itself!

Good luck.

so true! lol I don't listen to his "advice" I just wish he'd stop filling up my page with it! Him and my husband are actually going back and forth on my page right now and its very obnoxious. I never thought of myself as "fat" ... I understand that I've gained weight and I need to lose it but still... I just think its funny that he feels like starving is the only way you can lose weight. I'd like to know where he got certified cause they're obviously not teaching people right.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your positiveness! When I told him that I wanted to lose weight the healthy way he tried to tell me that eating only works for thin people, fat people need to starve. He also said that he is a certified nutritionist... which is a scary thought. He's more overweight than I am so the way I feel about it is "people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones". I post on FB to keep me accountable, I don't care if people know that I'm on a diet, I can even deal with negative comments to a point. I just don't understand why he feels the need to constantly slam me. He does comment on EVERYTHING I post, not just my diet stuff but he's only rude when it comes to food.

I don't know where you are, but throughout most of the US and Canada, there is no protection or regulation over the term "nutritionist." Anyone can call themselves that, and most claiming it have some silly cert or background. Around here, only dieticians are subject to liscensure and regulation, and have extensive collegiate education.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I was wondering how big he was and then I read your second comment. He has no right saying those things at all. But some people think that by saying those things they are helping you stay motivated. Tell him he's to negative. My words wouldn't be so nice I would say something very blunt and vulgar. But that's just me. I was thinking about posting my mfp on fb for the support, but I'm waiting for the "someone Noticed" NSV. When that happens then maybe. But I also know the people on my fb and I know where they live..they also know they better be nice...lol Good Luck. Turn his comments into fuel for your workouts. Good Luck.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    That person would be blocked from seeing my posts on FB. You dont need that negativity.

Agree!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    BLOCK!!!!!
  • hello_kitty3
    Options
    I didn't realize that you get just get certified without any education... but that definitely makes sense now lol! He spewed so much nonsense that at the end I just had to laugh. He suggests only eating one meal a day and drinking water any time you feel hungry other than that one meal... and you can't eat ANY fat, sugar, or carbs. I would like to know what that leaves plus he thinks you should only eat 500-1000 calories a day. He's an idiot. The sad thing is I actually know him, he's not just some random FB friend... I used to hang out with him, now he can forget it! I don't mind constructive criticism but that's not what he's giving.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't have anyone who does that to me, mainly because I don't post my food diary, or really show anyone. However, it does seem like whenever I'm doing well, my friends start bringing me snacks at work, or want to go out for lunch or whatever. Try and be strong. You are better than them,