Replies

• tns56364
    tns56364 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup. Yum
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    General Tso's chicken with fried rice and a pu pu platter. We don't eat Chinese takeout very often, so don't bother going healthy when we do. When I want non-fried Asian food, I make it myself.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I will eat separately if I can and steal a piece or two. The steamed veggies and chicken sounds smart though. My husband hates eating and I don't (particularly when we are out and about. At home it isn't too much of an issue.)

If we are at home and I have the mojo to do so, I will make a lighter version recipe like skinnytaste.com Orange Chicken. That way I know how much of what is in it with the recipe maker and can better judge calories.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Shrimp with lobster sauce. Steamed rice.
  • sairsyfairy
    sairsyfairy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Egg Drop Wonton Soup!!! I also love Vegetable lo mein. I just fit it into my calorie intake for the day. I'm not going to deprive myself of something I enjoy. Just eat in moderation!
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ma Po Tofu. I am addicted. But you have to make sure you get it from a Chinese restaurant that cooks (for the most part) the way Chinese people like it. Most Chinese places I've been are uber-Americanized, and they *fry* their tofu. This tastes amazing and is healthy. :smiley:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Sesame chicken with pork fried rice and an egg roll.

...oh wait, was I supposed to suggest a "light" option?

Honestly, if I can't get what I want at a restaurant, I'd rather not go. I'll be damned if I'm going to order chicken with veggies and bland rice. I can make that at home.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I always get shrimp with pea pods, it is steamed and I don't get rice. It is from the healthy menu and also has broccoli and mushrooms, which I don't care for so they let me special order it. The dogs get the fortune cookies.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I say get what you want. It's not something you do every day. Beef and broccoli, sesame chicken and cream cheese wontons are my faves. I usually skip the rice though, it's just too calorie dense for me.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Large order of hot and sour soup. Extremely filling and only 600 calories
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup is usually my go-to as well, if I'm watching the calories. On "cheat days" I'll get a small chicken/beef/shrimp lo mein (2 cups I believe) and an egg roll. Even this is still probably a good couple thousand calories better than what I used to eat in my "previous life". Everything in moderation.
  • plaidbear47
    plaidbear47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    They have a "Diet Dishes" section on the menu. I order steamed shrimp and broccoli with brown rice and garlic sauce on the side. I can measure everything separately and make 3-4 meals out of it, plus garlic sauce lasts me about 5-7 days and I can put it on anything.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese, but try to avoid it because of the calorie count. When I do splurge...I get sesame chicken with broccoli and fried rice.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Steamed shrimp with broccoli, rice, vegetable tofu soup. If i feel like splurging, I'll get ribs and/or steamed dumplings. If i was planning for this meal, I'm getting Peking duck and pork belly with rice.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I always get plain chow mein and I've never gained once from having it despite eating the whole container. :wink: Some people might think it's boring and not worth the calories but I love noodles so much. All the noodles, all the time.
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We used to enjoy Chinese but my husband has to what his sodium and most of the foods are VERY high in sodium so..... Needless to say, we don't eat it anymore!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I only get Chinese food if I have 1200 calories to spare, and I get whatever I want. Usually General Tso, rice, an egg roll.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Honestly I can think of 1000 things I'd rather eat, so I'd make myself something else at home... maybe get some Wonton soup.

I love the wonton soup. Its not too bad
    Do YOU want it? My rule is I only eat what I really want and love. So, find a good option that you love or make something at home. Never let someone else make those choices for you.

Yeah of course I want it, but I want to make a good choice I won't regret later☺

Well the good choices like steamed protein and veggies are not always the tastiest, so if you really want it, just order what you really want.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a higher calorie meal once in a while, as long as it's just once in a while.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sesame chicken with pork fried rice and an egg roll.

...oh wait, was I supposed to suggest a "light" option?

Honestly, if I can't get what I want at a restaurant, I'd rather not go. I'll be damned if I'm going to order chicken with veggies and bland rice. I can make that at home.

I'm with you girl.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will try and make a decent choice. I don't eat it all the time, just want to make a good decision.