Any runners that cross train on an elliptical?

Options
Just trying to get some possible feedback here. I've done next to nothing for running in quite a few years. I never really enjoyed running much, then later had a back injury and was told to minimize impact exercises. As things heal up, I'm looking at getting into some endurance stuff and maybe a few 10ks or something, just to see where I can get my pace after all this time.

But for now, I'm minimizing the impacts as much as possible. I'm going to start running some, but build my cardio as much as possible on the elliptical and bike. I'm wondering if anyone that uses an elliptical has any good input on how the miles figures compare to your actual running miles paces. I think our elliptical shortens my natural stride, and at higher cadence just isn't as natural as a real run.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for low impact building of the calves. The elliptical doesn't seem to target those as much as a real running kick. I'm going to experiment with some foam pads to see if I can put more emphasis on the calves, but any other input would be good.

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    ..bump...

Anyone? Since the elliptical specific might make it harder, I know we have some runners that bike as well. Any input on heart rate/distance/etc that might help translate vs running effort?
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical when the weather outside is nasty, or if I'm recovering from an injury or sickness. Like you said, it's not a great substitute because of the shorter stride, however to get a good cardio workout, I do some hard intervals. I also find I get more of a leg workout when I don't use the arm pieces and focus on balancing, that engages the leg muscles and calves.
  • nowornever250
    nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use the elliptical (legs only) when I am increasing time on my feet for half marathons as I have a back problem which gets worse with more impact. My physio said it is still a cardio workout and time spent on your feet - wouldn't replace a long run though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I run outside, I also have a home Sole Treadmill and Sole Elliptical.

The elliptical miles are absolutely not the same as outdoor or treadmill miles. I can also say that my treadmill does not log the same miles as running outside either, but I guess that would take common sense to know that...LOL

Calorie burning is also not the same on the elliptical. I have work extra hard and travel longer on the elliptical.

I can say that I ran outdoors all summer up to the beginning of Nov (5 miles/day 6 days/week), plopped back on the elliptical for a change and I had muscles hurting that I did not know were not getting exercised.. this is still a mystery to me..

I got back on the treadmill for now..

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It will never be a substitute or equal of running. Running and elliptical are two totally different things. Elliptical works different muscles than running does. If you're looking to cross train and give your running legs a break, it's a great tool, but it will in no way equate a run. Apples to Oranges. It is lower impact though. It will keep your fitness level up with your heart if you're working at the same intensity as when you run, but that's tough to do on a confined machine. Try running in a pool, great workout.
  • robertw486
    Options
    Hi, I use the elliptical (legs only) when I am increasing time on my feet for half marathons as I have a back problem which gets worse with more impact. My physio said it is still a cardio workout and time spent on your feet - wouldn't replace a long run though.

@targetnewyork

Sounds like a similar situation to what I'm dealing with. I know the actual running pace will require real running and getting used to things again, I'm just trying to translate time/distance and build the cardio more without the impact, as well as target muscles unique to running.

gia07 wrote: »

The elliptical miles are absolutely not the same as outdoor or treadmill miles. I can also say that my treadmill does not log the same miles as running outside either, but I guess that would take common sense to know that...LOL

Calorie burning is also not the same on the elliptical. I have work extra hard and travel longer on the elliptical.

I can say that I ran outdoors all summer up to the beginning of Nov (5 miles/day 6 days/week), plopped back on the elliptical for a change and I had muscles hurting that I did not know were not getting exercised.. this is still a mystery to me..

@gia07

The comparison I'm looking for is cardio health. I completely understand that X minute miles won't translate directly to running pace. I'm just looking for a gauge. It sounds like for you the actual running miles we easier than the elliptical miles? I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly, but that would be a good thing if so.

As for the muscle group thing elliptical vs actual running, completely agree. I think it's due to the unique motion of the elliptical, and it does expose some muscles that a person doesn't usually even notice. The one muscle group that it doesn't seem to work as hard (in my perception at least) is the calves. I've found that leaning forward and letting the heel of my foot lift does change that some, but don't know if I could comfortably do it long enough to really help the calve muscles develop more.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like the stair climber for days that I don't run.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

@targetnewyork

Sounds like a similar situation to what I'm dealing with. I know the actual running pace will require real running and getting used to things again, I'm just trying to translate time/distance and build the cardio more without the impact, as well as target muscles unique to running.

gia07 wrote: »

@gia07

The comparison I'm looking for is cardio health. I completely understand that X minute miles won't translate directly to running pace. I'm just looking for a gauge. It sounds like for you the actual running miles we easier than the elliptical miles? I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly, but that would be a good thing if so.

As for the muscle group thing elliptical vs actual running, completely agree. I think it's due to the unique motion of the elliptical, and it does expose some muscles that a person doesn't usually even notice. The one muscle group that it doesn't seem to work as hard (in my perception at least) is the calves. I've found that leaning forward and letting the heel of my foot lift does change that some, but don't know if I could comfortably do it long enough to really help the calve muscles develop more.

Cardio health can be achieved on the elliptical. I am not sure the guage you are looking for. Different machines do different things except heart rate can be achieved on this just like other cardio.

The elliptical is easier in different manners. But the exact same foot plant on the pedals, same exact movement for XXX period of time produces totally different results than lifting the legs, feet off the ground, etc..

Depending how much you give the machine is what you get from it. My feet also go to sleep on this and I hate that about it. And it is not my shoes being tied to loose or tight, it is just what I mentioned above.

I never get strong calves using the elliptical. I strength train as well so my calves have never been an issue. You might try doing some cross training (strength training) just on the areas such as your calves to keep them built and strong. You can even do calf raises standing or sitting down (and add weights).

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JI'm also wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for low impact building of the calves. The elliptical doesn't seem to target those as much as a real running kick. I'm going to experiment with some foam pads to see if I can put more emphasis on the calves, but any other input would be good.

Can't comment on the elliptical but I'd veer towards hill climbing sessions on the turbo trainer for lower leg strength.

Base sessions also help with the CV capacity enough.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I own a elliptical at home and use it often. Also have been running about a total of 9-10 miles a week. Now just cut back to 3-4 miles a week. I will use the elliptical to stay fit. March I have a 10K to run. Hate running in the cold so I will use the elliptical more until March. But will get back to running more to increase my stamina for the race early March.

I can tell you its a big difference. And the elliptical is far from natural as running. For me, I would double the miles on the elliptical for what I run. It is that much of a difference. What I suggest is take it slow with the running because of your past history. Maybe do a run walk. One minute on and off. Start with 1 mile and only increase 10% every week or 2. If you really want to run....Run. FYI get fitted for shoes a local running shoe store not a chain. Very important.
  • PunkRockChris
    PunkRockChris Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I own a elliptical at home and use it often. Also have been running about a total of 9-10 miles a week. Now just cut back to 3-4 miles a week. I will use the elliptical to stay fit. March I have a 10K to run. Hate running in the cold so I will use the elliptical more until March. But will get back to running more to increase my stamina for the race early March.

I can tell you its a big difference. And the elliptical is far from natural as running. For me, I would double the miles on the elliptical for what I run. It is that much of a difference. What I suggest is take it slow with the running because of your past history. Maybe do a run walk. One minute on and off. Start with 1 mile and only increase 10% every week or 2. If you really want to run....Run. FYI get fitted for shoes a local running shoe store not a chain. Very important.

^^ Good advice right there. Listen to your body. If it hurts from running make sure you take some time off or get back to the lower impact elliptical or walk.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Just trying to get some possible feedback here. I've done next to nothing for running in quite a few years. I never really enjoyed running much, then later had a back injury and was told to minimize impact exercises. As things heal up, I'm looking at getting into some endurance stuff and maybe a few 10ks or something, just to see where I can get my pace after all this time.

But for now, I'm minimizing the impacts as much as possible. I'm going to start running some, but build my cardio as much as possible on the elliptical and bike. I'm wondering if anyone that uses an elliptical has any good input on how the miles figures compare to your actual running miles paces. I think our elliptical shortens my natural stride, and at higher cadence just isn't as natural as a real run.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for low impact building of the calves. The elliptical doesn't seem to target those as much as a real running kick. I'm going to experiment with some foam pads to see if I can put more emphasis on the calves, but any other input would be good.

In my experience, lots of repetition builds calves. NYers have great calves and they do a lot of walking. I work on mine with calf raises and bleacher runs.

Two miles on my elliptical takes longer than two miles of street running. That is steady state with the tension set high and me pushing hard. I am not an endurance runner--3 miles is about it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

The elliptical taught me how to run long distances with those short strides. i dont really compare the miles on an elliptical to the miles running. i use different machines and they have different readings. I do compare HR and calories burned to running though. For calves, you need an elliptical that allows you to adjust incline. It wont only hit the calves though but you can place a greater focus on them. This month I am challenging myself to burn more calories than I did last year. I cant do it all running, though I do plan to run at least 20 miles a week. The elliptical helps me to put up a bit more without the high impact. My only reason for not using the elliptical as much as I used to is because I havent heard of any elliptical races, I dont like having to stop after an hour, and I do like zoning out and running for as long as I want outside.
  • robertw486
    Options
    Great input everyone....

@gia07 I was hoping someone with a similar machine could just give their input on output via HR/elliptical miles vs their actual running miles. I'm just trying to make sure my cardio base is solid so when I actually run I can focus more on stride, cadence, etc. I know my times will be down over years ago, but don't want to be a slug out there either! I already do some calf raises and such, I just never feel the calves engage much on the elliptical.

@MeanderingMammal No trainer at this time, thinking about getting one. But I do ride higher gearing with feet back on the pedals (no clips or cages) on many rides just to get the calves going more. No real hills in this area, but at times we get solid enough wind to get the same effect.

@mattyc772014 and @rileyes What types of elliptical machines do the two of you use? We have a Precor and it doesn't equate strides directly to miles. It factors ramp angles as well as resistance, and converts to estimated miles effort. I mix it up a lot on slower paces to work different muscles, but for pace work keep the ramp flatter and the resistance near what I feel is true running resistance rather than too cranked up.

@20yearsyounger I'm actually hoping the shorter elliptical stride might help me some. I tended to run a longer stride and slower cadence than was probably optimal for my size, so the increased cadence needed on the elliptical might actually help me in that regard.

I have been doing some steep incline work on the elliptical, as well as on occasion running the stairs at a local outdoor park. Between that and the work on the bike I'm hoping I can have my cardio base solid enough so that when I start doing more actual running my only real concerns are figuring out my stride and cadence in relation to heart rate and go from there.

Thanks again everyone.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My elliptical is a LifeFitness X30.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    The shorter stride did help me a lot - my shin splints and knee problems are non existence now. I do have a faster turnover because of it though so I know I can run faster, I just chose not to. I wouldnt look for an elliptical to fix calf problems though. As some one else mentioned you can stand on the edge of a step or something and do calf raises. Truthfully you get faster running by running so I dont know how good a measure of distance is. For me, If I run an hour, I do the elliptical for an hour. I also listened to music on the elliptical so when I transferred over to the road I had the same music, and followed the same beat so I know my cadence was the same.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    One more thing, I do hands free only.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Ran 3 miles to the gym and got on a life fitness elliptical. Definitely fell more calves doing reverse mode but it's not the same isolation you would get from raises. Distance provided a little more than ii would expect running but I adjust resistance to keep level of effort the same. Will hop on the cybex arc trainer next. They have a setting that hits the calves more but I like setting that one for the high knees to loosen up my glutes etc. after that, taking a longer 7 mile way home.
  • robertw486
    Options
    @rileyes and @20yearsyounger

Thanks for the extended info. I'm just hoping to minimize the time dealing with the impact of actual running, and make sure I can just focus on the adjustments rather than the cardio base.

I don't currently have an HRM type device designed for running, but do have a chest strap and small biking computer I could use to gauge HR and figure out where my cadence/stride puts me in regards to VO2max and/or HR ranges. I'm hoping that watching the HR vs output on the elliptical and bike make it a little easier to gauge where my pace should be when running.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For calves - walking on the treadmill at a high incline (don't hold the rail either).

Otherwise, I went from elliptical to running and it was hard - it's really not the same at all. But I stopped running because I get better burns walking at a high incline anyway and that way I'm not damaging my joints (and never cared for running anyway). And I alternate that and spinning now.

Bottom line, you really don't have to run if you don't enjoy it...