Number of Calories - with or without exercise adjustment

Options
If you are eating 1200 calories a day, is that strictly 1200 calories, or 1200 plus whatever your exercise adjustment is?

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    MFP goals are based on NEAT so include normal daily activity but not exercise. It is based on the assumption that you do no exercise and expects you to eat the exercise burns back, which is the reason the site adds them to your calorie allowance for the day

That being said MFP is also very generous in its calories burned allotment, thats why many only eat 50-75% back to start with and then adjust based on their performance to their weekly weight loss goal
  • rhawfax1986
    rhawfax1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 strictly...the whole eating calories back from exercising confuses me....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 strictly...the whole eating calories back from exercising confuses me....

Exercising allows you to eat more while still remaining in a deficit
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I did a hard workout today specifically so that I could eat loads of takeout Chinese food tonight without going over my calories :-)
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    I did a hard workout today specifically so that I could eat loads of takeout Chinese food tonight without going over my calories :-)

How did you log it? Just curious most small Chinese places aren't on mfp.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I generally eat to my non exercise goal and don't include extra calories. But if I eat a little over or just don't log perfectly I know I've got some buffer as a result.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

Just do my best. I use entries from chains like Panda Express and PF Chang, figuring it'll be close. It won't be as accurate as when I make my own food and weigh everything, but the exercise calories help by giving me a buffer. And I don't do it every week.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

Just do my best. I use entries from chains like Panda Express and PF Chang, figuring it'll be close. It won't be as accurate as when I make my own food and weigh everything, but the exercise calories help by giving me a buffer. And I don't do it every week.

Makes sense. I haven't had Mexican or Chinese in a few months because I didn't know exactly what was in it. Maybe I'll get carnitas this weekend. They give you everything separately and i know what brand tortillas they use so I should be able to get a really good guess. But, by going with panda express you are probably actually overestimating. I only do chinese once a month lately though so it probably wouldn't make a big difference either way
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I eat about 75% of my exercise calories back.
    If I am exercising I need fuel to perform to the best of my ability without it interfering with my daily life.
    Being fit, but forever getting little illnesses, or being grouchy and bad tempered with friends and family, just isn't my cup of tea.

I eat as much as I can to be the best that I can.

Cheers, h.
  • SisC3
    SisC3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat my exercise calories back, because there is no reason to. That being said there are days I enjoy the extra calories because I am out with friends or I am just hungrier. It is really just a preference thing, studies tend to say it makes little difference.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Personally, I think it can make little initial difference eating back exercise calories if one is of average height with over 25 lbs to lose and is on a reasonable deficit.

If one is petite, and/or has 5-15 lbs to lose the difference in an added 100-200 cals a day can make a huge difference in ones health and satiety.

Also if one is exercising as part of weight loss ( not eating calories back to speed the process), then stops, or cuts back when reaching goal, ones daily calorie goal will have to drop to compensate for the decrease in activity. That need for a calorie intake drop due to a drop in activity is quite often unsustainable and weight is re-gained.

Cheers, h.
  • MsDonaB
    MsDonaB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this - I was about to post the same question! MFP gave me a daily caloric allowance of 1200, but I felt that was too low, so I increased it to 1300 (I'm 52 y/o, 5'5, and started at 211# (ugh)). The whole "do I eat my exercise calories or not" thought process confuses and tires me out! So, I have decided to not eat less than 1000 calories NET each day and see how that works. So, if I am allowed 1300 calories/day, but burn 350 calories (using MFP info), then I'll eat 1350 calories that day so I don't drop below 1000. I eat no added sugars, am trying to decrease my diet sodas and increase my water intake, and get a minimum of 30 minutes intentional movement a day, plus am inching my way toward 10k steps on my Fitbit most days. I have a sedentary job (I have to remind myself every hour or so to get up from my desk and move around). I admire those folks who can create the spreadsheets and graphs to track their efforts, but I want to keep it on a much simpler level, or risk getting burned out.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @MsDonaB at 1200 cals you are on an aggressive 2lbs a week goal. To sell yourself, mind and body, short by trying to shave off another almost .5 lbs by netting only 1000 calories puts you under a safe calorie limit if you are planning to eat that amount for the amount of time it is going to take for you to lose the weight. This, rather than complicated graphs etc, is what is going to make you burn out.

Please consider changing your outlook. With less than 75lbs to lose a 1.5lbs a week would be a better goal, and when using the numbers calculated by MFP you are expected to eat your exercise calories. Your deficit is included in your base calories.

I am shorter than you, older than you, and had a lower starting weight than you, so to lose 1 lbs a week 1200 cals was my goal too.
    I had to eat back my calories from exercise otherwise I was tired, irritable, and couldn't live my daily life as I wished as I was too exhausted- my mind unable to focus.
    The physical downside was; dull brittle hair, striated nails that always broke, dull skin prone to breakouts, and persistent cold symptoms. I probably lost way more muscle than I needed to too.

I realise you want to get the extra weight off as soon as possible, but please don't compromise your health and well being to do so.

You may well be fine for the first 2-3 months, but as soon as you feel the detrimental effects of such an aggressive deficit, please have your mind open for changing to a more sustainable goal.

Yes, I am a great proponent of the eat back exercise squad, and do believe in using MFP as intended; I also know the consequence of not doing the above.
    I didn't last longer than my first few experimental weeks before realising the folly of my ways.

Cheers, h.