Finally doing it

Options
Hello! My name is Bri. I'm starting out my diet. I actually started a couple days ago fully. I weigh 250 and my goal is 200 or 190.

I'm 20 years old and I'm going through a lot of stuff of home so im just trying to focus on myself. I have a manual treadmill, where it's me doing all the work. So im big and I really never worked out before I can only do 10 minutes without not being able to go more. So I try to do three 10 min work outs a day.

Do you have any other pointers or advice? I can't go to the gym so I gotta do everything in my house because it's bascially ice out side until summer.

Replies

• ryan86272
    ryan86272 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    From what I've read and finally come to realize if you go on a diet it will end and you will go back the norm. ( eating unhealthy and eventually gaining everything back). The goal is to create a lifestyle change. Learn and find healthy foods you enjoy so it is the new norm and you crave those.

Good luck with you weight loss!!

How tall are you?
  • computergraffics
    computergraffics Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bri! I'm so glad you've made this decision. I hope you achieve great success!

My only advice would be to allow yourself the occasional cheat day. Don't allow yourself more than 1 (or MAYBE 2) per week, but this way you can be happy with the foods you're eating, and if you go out to dinner with someone or a family member makes the most amazing pizza, you don't have to suffer needlessly.

It took me about 3.5 weeks of diet and exercise to stop gaining weight and start losing it--Give yourself at least that long to start seeing results :smile:

Good luck!
  • LninYoDA1htownG
    LninYoDA1htownG Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Add me we can burn the fat without the treadmill plus im 220 trying to get to 185
  • brimeggy
    brimeggy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 , 5'7
  • Azizoo
    Azizoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can do it home or outside if your city not cold now. I started in home with some apps like 7min workout. + some biking. Best of luck to you.
  • habla25
    habla25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey bri, I'm trying to lose about 50 pounds as well, and I'm also 20. Just started mfp two days ago and it's going really well! Good luck to you!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good for you. You may be "slow" now, but you will increase what you can do. Don't push it. The best "fat burning" heart rate is not the same as if you are doing an athletic workout. Here is a good MFP blog: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-target-your-heart-rate-get-into-the-fat-burning-zone/ Mix it up at home, too. There are great easy workouts on youtube. Try some Leslie Sansone as you gain stamina. I love to put on music and just dance. Get some light weight dumbbells or resistance bands to build up some muscle mass -- my town has used sporting good stores that sell dumbbells greatly reduced. Lots of easy workouts on the internet.

Everyone worries about working out, but to really burn the most calories, you have to keep moving throughout the day. Sitting for hours in front of the tv is what will really limit your calorie burn. Try to go from being sedentary to lightly active. This has nothing to do with working out. It has to do about just not sitting around. I see this so much on my Fitbit. A day at work where I am stuck at my desk all day long and happen to park closer to my office compared to a day when I have to get up, go to meeting, visit other buildings, park a distance from the office, etc., makes a huge difference on my calorie burn.

However, you have to stick to your eating plan and maintain a deficit, so don't think that aerobic exercise will do it all.