Any tips appreciated

I'm having a very hard time drinking enough water. Does anyone have any tricks or advice of any kind that might help me get in more than 1 cup a day? Greatly appreciated.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Our water needs are met by almost all the liquids we drink and we also get water from the food that we eat. If you're not thirsty, you may not need to drink more. Are you drinking stuff besides water? Do you have reason to think you may be dehydrated?

I will typically drink a glass of water when I wake up, before and after a workout, and before each meal. But this is what works for me. If I didn't want water at any of those times, I wouldn't make myself drink it.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Always keep it near you and just take a few sips at a time to start with. You can also flavor it with a little fruit juice. That's how I started back when I hated drinking water, and now I'm getting several liters a day.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Are you drinking other things? Tea, soda, juice? If so, you're probably getting enough water in your system. Any water based drink (compared to alcohol based) hydrates you just as good as regular water. Granted, you're getting other things, such as sugar, and you have to watch that so you don't get too much, but don't worry about drinking actual water. I almost never drink actual water, but I drink enough tea to compensate and I stay hydrated. I actually hate the taste of water as I can taste the minerals and things they use to filter it, so I mostly avoid it!

At risk of sounding gross, as long as your pee is light colored, you're fine.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Our water needs are met by almost all the liquids we drink and we also get water from the food that we eat. If you're not thirsty, you may not need to drink more. Are you drinking stuff besides water? Do you have reason to think you may be dehydrated?

Actually??! Impressive.

I always have water with me. A water bottle or a cup or other water containing device. OP, do you just not like water or is it a habit?

Some advice would be to set an alarm every x amount of time and drink a glass right then and there.
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    I generally have to flavor my water. If water tastes overly metallic or has any sort of taste I consider unpleasant, I have a hard time reaching my goal unless I'm being active, sick, or just isn't an ordinary day. I buy powdered flavors, but use a pack for 32 oz worth. I also buy cases of Frut flavored water from aldis to take with me when I'm on the go.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    If you DO want to drink more of it...one thing that could help is figuring out how you like water the most (or dislike it the least). For example I hate ice water and not big on room temp. either. I dislike drinking from a squeeze-type bottle or an actual glass. So 95% of the water I drink is from those Starbucks (or similar) "cold cups" with straws, refrigerator cold. Total game changer for me. I went from drinking roughly 10 oz coffee and 24 oz diet cola each day, to around 60-80 oz of water (and still the coffee). It's helped me a lot.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    If you DO want to drink more of it...one thing that could help is figuring out how you like water the most (or dislike it the least). For example I hate ice water and not big on room temp. either. I dislike drinking from a squeeze-type bottle or an actual glass. So 95% of the water I drink is from those Starbucks (or similar) "cold cups" with straws, refrigerator cold. Total game changer for me. I went from drinking roughly 10 oz coffee and 24 oz diet cola each day, to around 60-80 oz of water (and still the coffee). It's helped me a lot.

This. Water temperature, the container type, and any flavorings can make a huge difference in how much we like or dislike our water. Try different things until you figure out how YOU like it best.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    I agree with seltzer and BZAH. It all depends on how you like your water. I hate drinking water out of anything but plastic. It also can't be too warm, too cold, too salty (I live on a ranch with soft water), or not salty enough. I really like the Powerade bottles and keep one filled with water with me at all times. You might just be picky like me and haven't found the right way about it yet. If you're just not thirsty, however, then you're probably getting enough as it is. Not everyone needs the same amount.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I agree too... you have to find a way to drink water that is convenient and enjoyable to you. We have a filter pitcher which only filters 1.5 cup at a time and I HATE having to refill the thing 10x a day... so I switched to bottled water (I know, bad for the environment and all, but our water tastes horrible when not filtered). I keep a bottle on my desk at all times and take a bottle with me if I go run errands etc. Still wish I could find a more environment-friendly option but our faucet is too low to add a filter to it.

That's what works for me... now I get thirsty if I don't drink my 4 bottles a day. My husband just drinks flavored seltzer. That works too.
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Straws were an absolute game-changer for me. I can easily suck down 32oz of water without even thinking about it, while I can't hardly force myself to drink 8oz out of a regular cup.
  • Angelenam1967
    Angelenam1967 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks so much
  • Angelenam1967
    I honestly don't think I'm drinking enough throughout the day. Maybe one bottle and a half cup of coffee. I recently had surgery and I'm not able to work out like i used to so maybe this is why? Thank you everyone for the great ideas.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    I honestly don't think I'm drinking enough throughout the day. Maybe one bottle and a half cup of coffee. I recently had surgery and I'm not able to work out like i used to so maybe this is why? Thank you everyone for the great ideas.

You're probably more hydrated than you think you are. I wish I had the graphic here, but there's a color chart for pee. Yes, gross, but that's the easiest and fastest way to see if you're becoming dehydrated. If you're not thirsty and your pee is light colored, you're getting all the hydration you need. ^_^
  • Angelenam1967
    Your right, funny how we forget things. It would be dark I'm pretty sure . Thanks so much, better get the blue out of the toilet cause right now it appears im peeing green ;)
  • btucker9413
    btucker9413 Posts: 40 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    Are you drinking other things? Tea, soda, juice? If so, you're probably getting enough water in your system. Any water based drink (compared to alcohol based) hydrates you just as good as regular water. Granted, you're getting other things, such as sugar, and you have to watch that so you don't get too much, but don't worry about drinking actual water. I almost never drink actual water, but I drink enough tea to compensate and I stay hydrated. I actually hate the taste of water as I can taste the minerals and things they use to filter it, so I mostly avoid it!

At risk of sounding gross, as long as your pee is light colored, you're fine.

So cutting out soda isn't completely out of the question?!

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    I got a SodaStream. Quadrupled my water intake.
    I like bubbles so will sit with a litre of water and a champagne glass fooling myself quite happily.

Cheers, h.