Is a high protein diet best?

Options
I currently weigh 248lbs and would like to be 160 by June. Is a high protein diet the best way to achieve this? With exercise of course.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    That's way too aggressive of a goal. Set MFP to lose 2 lbs per week. Eat the amount of calories it tells you. Eating more or less protein does not allow you to lose more, less calories do.
  • btucker9413
    btucker9413 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    That's way too aggressive of a goal. Set MFP to lose 2 lbs per week. Eat the amount of calories it tells you. Eating more or less protein does not allow you to lose more, less calories do.

I've set it to 2lbs a week but I'm not meeting my calories. Yesterday I was suppose to have 2380 calories. I consumed 2039 calories and burned 2558 calories. Am I overdoing my body?

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,162 Member
    Options
    Protein is not magic, but in combination with the other important nutrients, you can eat a satisfying amount and drop weight if you are consistent.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I've set it to 2lbs a week but I'm not meeting my calories. Yesterday I was suppose to have 2380 calories. I consumed 2039 calories and burned 2558 calories. Am I overdoing my body?

How did you calculate your calorie burn?
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That is far too aggressive and unrealistic. The only way you will achieve this (without the supervision of a Doctor/Dietitian) is by eating in an extremely unhealthy manner. Your calories would be so low, it would be dangerous. Protein is good for satiety, but it will not see you reach your goal in this period of time. I'm sorry if it feels like I'm being unhelpful, but I don't want you to do anything that will potentially harm you in the long run,
  • btucker9413
    Options
    I calculate my exercise with this app. Brisk pace walking for 350 minutes. I'm on my feet all day from 11-9. Some times I walk at a regular pace but most usually brisk
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The best way is actually not to achieve it.

Anything more aggressive than a 1% loss per week is not healthy. There are 21.8 weeks to mid-June, so you should aim for about 199 by mid-June (deducting 1% of your weight each week, taking into account that as your weight drops, so does the amount of weight it is healthy to lose each week.)

Eating a high protein diet generally isn't terribly friendly to your body, since it is the hardest to turn into fuel.
  • btucker9413
    Options
    That is far too aggressive and unrealistic. The only way you will achieve this (without the supervision of a Doctor/Dietitian) is by eating in an extremely unhealthy manner. Your calories would be so low, it would be dangerous. Protein is good for satiety, but it will not see you reach your goal in this period of time. I'm sorry if it feels like I'm being unhelpful, but I don't want you to do anything that will potentially harm you in the long run,

What would be a more realistic goal for me to lose by June?
  • AnguishLanguish
    Options
    Just did some quick calculations, you would need to eat ~500 calories a day to get this weight loss. EXTREMELY dangerous and unhealthy.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I calculate my exercise with this app. Brisk pace walking for 350 minutes. I'm on my feet all day from 11-9. Some times I walk at a regular pace but most usually brisk

If you're on you feet for work, this is party of your daily activity level. You should not be adding calories back
  • queenliz99
    Options
    You walk briskly for 6 hours.
  • btucker9413
    Options
    Just did some quick calculations, you would need to eat ~500 calories a day to get this weight loss. EXTREMELY dangerous and unhealthy.

But if I eat my set amount of calories and burn off more than I consume wouldn't I be able to still lose a significant amount of weight?

• AnguishLanguish
    Options
    What's your height/age? I put in 25y/o and 5'5" and set it at 1600 p/day. This came out with ~35-40lbs for June.
  • arditarose
    Options

But if I eat my set amount of calories and burn off more than I consume wouldn't I be able to still lose a significant amount of weight?

Of weight...and muscle...and not hit your micronutrients to keep your body functioning properly. You are not burning what you think you're burning either.

• btucker9413
    Options

If you're on you feet for work, this is party of your daily activity level. You should not be adding calories back

I don't add calories back. XXX calories allowed- XXX calories consumed= XXX calories left and I stop there. I don't eat back the calories I burned off because of exercise
  • btucker9413
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yes, I work double shifts
  • btucker9413
    Options
    I am 22yr old and 5'3"
  • btucker9413
    Options

Of weight...and muscle...and not hit your micronutrients to keep your body functioning properly. You are not burning what you think you're burning either.

So ideally, I need to meet my nutrient goals for the day and let the rest fall into place?

• queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yes, I work double shifts

I wouldn't count your work as exercise.