How I Learned To Like Cardio

2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2016
    Ugh. If I never run again I'd be fine with that.

ETA: But I'm grateful I'm able to if necessary :)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

A good cardio base will also help your lifting. Especially rest time between sets. I'll admit there was a time when I hated most cardio, but we were forced to do it. Now I can actually enjoy it, and clicking off a few quick miles on the bike after my heart rate was already up gets the endorphins flowing way better than any type of lifting ever did.

Just release your inner cardio bunny! :) And as a bonus, you can cut quicker when you decide to do it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »

A good cardio base will also help your lifting. Especially rest time between sets. I'll admit there was a time when I hated most cardio, but we were forced to do it. Now I can actually enjoy it, and clicking off a few quick miles on the bike after my heart rate was already up gets the endorphins flowing way better than any type of lifting ever did.

Just release your inner cardio bunny! :) And as a bonus, you can cut quicker when you decide to do it.

You can tell me that all you want. But until I decide to do it or find something I like, it's not happening. I'll probably do it when I cut though because I'm gonna be all intense, I know.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    This thread is triggering. It gave me PTSD
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »

You can tell me that all you want. But until I decide to do it or find something I like, it's not happening. I'll probably do it when I cut though because I'm gonna be all intense, I know.

For the most part, I'm one of the people that can't stand easy pace flog on forever cardio. But if you get creative there are plenty of weight circuits and such that combine both. If you keep your heart rate up you can easily maintain and even build muscle doing cardio type workout. A lot of people that preach "lift heavy" will tell you that can't happen. And having done both, I completely disagree.

You won't want to cut slow, and you'll wish you had already earned that cardio bunny T shirt!
  • GlitzyKismet
    GlitzyKismet Posts: 9 Member
    I did this plan instead to work up to it.

Thanks for posting the plan. I'm curious to know if, after completing that, you were ready to start right in with the C25K program. Did you take more than one week for each of the levels in this plan? I've tried to use the C25K app in the past, but by the time I got to about week 4 or so, I was struggling with it.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    I did this plan instead to work up to it.

Thanks for posting the plan. I'm curious to know if, after completing that, you were ready to start right in with the C25K program. Did you take more than one week for each of the levels in this plan? I've tried to use the C25K app in the past, but by the time I got to about week 4 or so, I was struggling with it.

It only took me one week at each level. This is meant to condition your muscles and nervous system to the running process, not exactly meant to make anyone a runner. The running part is only 15 seconds at the hardest, so I did not feel the need to repeat weeks.

I did not do c25k to be honest. After I finished conditioning I did this plan (this first part), and after I finished that I did this one. The trick is to experiment with speed and slow down enough to be able to finish the running intervals feeling like you could go one more minute. If you are pushing through the last few seconds you are going too fast. Focus on the time you are able to continuously run for now, speed comes later. I actually ran slower than I was able to walk for the first few months. Starting running as an obese person is different and quite a few modifications need to be made. A plan that may be okay for an overweight person may be too hard for someone who is obese.