Protein Shakes ( powder form )

What would be the best protein shakes to take before and after workouts ???

Replies

• smf4ever
    smf4ever Posts: 3 Member
    All depends on what you like.. and if you need more protein..

For me.. and just me personally...
    I dont take before.. I just.. eat about an hour - hour 1/2 before i hit the gym..

After.. I do between 1 - 2 scoops of Whey Protein (I use Optimum Nutritions Gold Standard Whey).. if my numbers for the day dont look like I will get enough protein from just food..

Research the brands!!! Many have failed lab tests on what is actually in them though!..

Good luck!!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I usually drink whey in the afternoon before I train and then a blend after (some combination of whey isolate/concentrate, casein and egg).
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Before you consider buying things off the internet, go to your local store, like walmart, and see what they have to offer. If you don't like it, you can just return it. I like Pure Protein (affordable).
    Buy a protein bar first, to see if you can handle the idea of eating whey protein.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    You don't need to drink protein shakes at all if you get enough protein in your general diet. But if you choose to get some protein from shakes, then I would say the best one is the one that you like the taste of and will drink, since the stuff is very expensive and it would be a shame to waste it. If possible, try to get small sizes of things to try out before investing in a 5 pound tub.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    whey
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    The cheapest and the best tasting relative to you is the best kind.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    What do you hope to achieve?

A protein shake is nothing more than a way to supplement protein intake if you don't get enough through eating your typical diet. They are unrelated to workout performance (other than some people prefer working out after having eaten something)
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    What do you hope to achieve?

A protein shake is nothing more than a way to supplement protein intake if you don't get enough through eating your typical diet. They are unrelated to workout performance (other than some people prefer working out after having eaten something)

This. In the grand scheme of things if you have a well balanced diet there are no needs for protein shakes unless you're needing it for a "convenience" factor.
  • jr825
    jr825 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you all for the advise !!!
    I'm just trying to shave a few pounds with low carbs and high protein.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    jr825 wrote: »
    What would be the best protein shakes to take before and after workouts ???

Whey.
  • jr825
    jr825 Posts: 7 Member
    What's the brand of choice ?