Unable to exercize / calorie deficit inadequate ?

k1340347
k1340347 Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Some background info : I have used a wheelchair since I was 7 and am unable to walk/stand unaided. I have brittle bones disease and am currently recovering from a major broken arm so any exercise I have previously done (strength training / swimming) is out of the question.

I am 4'7 and weigh around 78 KG with a goal of 40 - 45 KG. I calculated my bmr to be around 1600 (which I personally think is a little high considering my frame size) and have ate consistently around 1200 and under since the beginning of January with no results. If anything I seem to have gained weight :( my diet is generally pretty good with the odd treat throughout the week and I drink plenty of water.

I'm really frustrated and unsure of how to change so I can start seeing some results

Replies

• markvflynn
    markvflynn Posts: 6 Member
    How often do you eat your meals?
  • k1340347
    markvflynn wrote: »
    How often do you eat your meals?

I try and eat the standard 3 a day with snacks in between but I eat less regularly on the weekends.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited January 2016
    Don't panic it can take a while to see any results @k1340347 and MFP is set up to lose weight without exercise.

Have you entered your stats and how much you would like to lose per week into MFP?

I can imagine to lose .5-1 lbs a week 1200 would be correct as you are petite and sedentary.

That is also the lowest calorie goal recommended without a doctor's supervision. So even if you put in lose 2 lbs a week it would over ride your request and you would get 1200 cals and lose just over .5 in reality.

Your BMR does sound high at 1600.
    I just ran your numbers through iifym.com and came out with a BMR (basic metabolic rate) of 1371 and a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) of 1577. This is how much you would need to eat to maintain your weight as a sedentary non exercising person.

To lose .5 lbs a week you would drop the 1577 by 250 a day (3500 cals in a lbs).

This would give you 1327 a day to lose .5lb a week.
    1200 should let you lose .75 initially but that will drop as your weight drops. Less weight less calories needed.

You could check the site yourself, or just use the number MFP gives you. They will be pretty similar.

If you are not using a digital scale to weigh all your food and liquid measuring cups and spoons yet, it would be a good thing to start doing. For us petites it is very easy to go over our calorie goals without them.

Meal frequency and food choices are irrelevant. It is eating fewer calories than you use in a day (known as CICO) that leads to weight loss, everything else is personal choice.

Cheers, h.

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • k1340347
    Don't panic it can take a while to see any results @k1340347 and MFP is set up to lose weight without exercise.

Have you entered your stats and how much you would like to lose per week into MFP?

I can imagine to lose .5-1 lbs a week 1200 would be correct as you are petite and sedentary.

That is also the lowest calorie goal recommended without a doctor's supervision. So even if you put in lose 2 lbs a week it would over ride your request and you would get 1200 cals and lose just over .5 in reality.

I just ran your numbers through iifym.com and came out with a BMR (basic metabolic rate) of 1371 and a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) of 1577. This is how much you would need to eat to maintain your weight as a sedentary non exercising person.

To lose .5 lbs a week you would drop the 1577 by 250 a day (3500 cals in a lbs).

1200 should let you lose .75 initially but that will drop as your weight drops. Less weight less calories needed.

You could check the site yourself, or just use the number MFP gives you. They will be pretty similar.

If you are not using a digital scale to weigh all your food and liquid measuring cups and spoons yet, it would be a good thing to start doing. For us petites it is very easy to go over our calorie goals without them.

Meal frequency and food choices are irrelevant. It is eating fewer calories than you use in a day (known as CICO) that leads to weight loss, everything else is personal choice.

Cheers, h.

This is all very helpful thank you! I must have been thinking of my TDEE when I mentioned the 1600 but it's a relief to know that what I'm doing is semi on the right track. Looks like it will just take some time and consistency.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Yeah, I am only a little one and it does take time to see the scale move because we can't cut our calories by much.
    Just keep at it and use a food scale if you can. It is a real eye opener.

Cheers, h.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited January 2016

Cheers, h.

I agree with this. Just to second her comment, make sure you are using a scale to weigh your foods. It will give you a more accurate calorie count and costs 10 bucks on amazon. You don't need a fancy one. Good luck.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Thirding @middlehaitch's advice, here.

It's very easy to wipe out a small deficit if you don't weigh your food. 20 calories here and there quickly adds up!

While exercise has all kinds of benefits, it is not at all necessary for losing weight. It's far more important to be accurate with your intake!

Get a digital scale and weigh all your solid foods in grams. Measure out your liquids. Double-check your logging here to ensure you're picking entries that match the packaging for the food you're eating. Make sure you weigh individually wrapped items, too, as the contents may be heavier (or lighter) than what the packaging tells you.

Do this for at least 4 weeks. If you see no change, stick it out for 2 more (6 weeks total), and then it's time to look elsewhere for the source of your issue.

Good luck!

~Lyssa