Scared of the gym

Options
Hi,

New to this so sorry if it's wrong. I have recovered from anorexia through self help techniques. However as I received no help through NHS, I was not entitled to seeing a dietician. I am still the weight I was 3 years ago when I recovered fully and struggling to gain weight. I have heard going to the gym helps bit I am scared to go. Obviously women wear leggings and revealing clothes which is just a complete no for me. Does anyone have any tips to gain weight for anorexics? Also anyone taken protein shakes to help gain weight?

Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you the stickies at the top of this board?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are fully recovered. Have you tried some of the free online resources? MFP has links to them at the bottom of the page under community guidelines (web browser).

Outside of that, you need to consume more calories than you burn and a good progressive lifting program will help.

Edit, here you go: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I somehow accidentally clicked on your thread, I'm not here to gain weight I'm here to lose 90lbs so I'm opposite side of the spectrum to you.

I wanted to say though, as the fattest person in there usually, don't be scared of the gym! If you want to go to gain muscle then you can do it.

You absolutely don't have to wear revealing clothes. In fact most people wear baggy t shirts. I do heavy weights on my own in a massive t-shirt and trousers. No one will bat an eyelid at you, they certainly don't look at me and they have reason to. If they did I wouldn't notice either because I go with focus and a plan.

I would say though that to gain muscle you have to eat loads of calories and protien, if you're not comfortable yet with that then go see your GP and ask for that referral to the dietician.

In my area the NHS Dietician is always pleased to see people ask for help - no one wants to see her, people cancel appointments all the time etc. I went voluntarily when I was pregnant as I was borderline too big. It was really good to ask her honest questions and get her feedback.

I wish you success. Don't let fear of demanding the help you need or stepping into a room hold you back from the life you want.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    First and foremost, I think you should really see a therapist. I know there is a stigma about stuff like that but it would do worlds of wonders for you. It would help you get to the true center of your eating disorder and you never have to say a word about it to anyone.
    Second, you don't have to wear leggings to the gym. I wear yoga pants and an over sized t-shirt. There are always other chicks there who are just as much of a hot mess as I am. :D Don't be nervous about going to the gym. There will be someone at the gym that can show you how to use all of the equipment and can answer any questions you have.
    I would definitely suggest that you see the therapist first, though. If you still aren't eating enough than you definitely don't need to be burning extra calories at the gym.
    Unfortunately, I can't help as far as gaining weight goes. That has always come pretty easy for me. :|
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Pick a reasonable goal weight, and run it through a calculator to get a daily calorie estimate for a starting point.
    Eat whole unprocessed foods, get adequate protein (shakes are great), and consume lots of healthy fats (coconut oil, macadamia nuts & oil, Kerry gold butter. Eggs, Deli Turkey are great, along with Broccoli. :)
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Do your thing and forget everything else. The hell with watching what people look like our what they're wearing. If it makes you uncomfortable, then so be it. Change is uncomfortable. Embrace it.

Best of luck.
  • KR226
    KR226 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You could go with a friend/sibling! Gym buddies make it a lot less intimidating, and you can help each other with weights, treadmills, etc. (: My friend and I usually end up laughing a lot, so my experience has been pretty fun.

I used protein shakes to gain weight at one point, and they helped with muscle gain after the gym, at least they did for me. I can't speak for everyone else. I used a vegan protein powder, because I wasn't trying to bulk. So, I think that's a good starting point! Maybe when you're comfortable with it, try adding a little more food to your plate each day, like at dinner or breakfast? See if you gain a little more weight from that.

I hope you find something that works well for you! Good luck!!! (:
  • k_lethal
    k_lethal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been afraid to go to the gym as well. It's really intimidating trying to work around large, sweaty guys grunting and really attractive women wandering around. And I'm fully aware that all that is in my head, and that nobody really cares that I'm there, but you know, I still had that anxiety. What helped was joining a gym that was very explicitly inclusive of everyone that wanted to join, which was the YMCA in my end of town. I could've also gone with a community centre gym and it would've helped. At the Y it's me and yes, sweaty dudes and super attractive women, but also old ladies and teenagers and foreign exchange students and people with disabilities and all kinds of other people. So it's much much less intimidating, I've found.
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have heard going to the gym helps bit I am scared to go. Obviously women wear leggings and revealing clothes which is just a complete no for me. Does anyone have any tips to gain weight for anorexics? Also anyone taken protein shakes to help gain weight?

Thanks!

Yes and yes.

Go to the gym, you will find your zen there, you will find the iron resolves your mental issues and hang ups.

As far as clothing, I hate that women are allowed to wear yoga pants and sports bras. It's unreasonable to expect me to focus on working out when I have a girl in skin tight pink yoga pants and a bright purple sports bra doing kegel exercises right in front of my face while I'm trying to squat. It's a conundrum because I'm pissed that I'm losing gains, but excited at the fact that she took into consideration that purple is my favorite color.

No! I like the girl in a hoodie, a baseball cap, headphones, sweat pants, and Nikes. It screams serious, and there is a certain attraction in that.

As far as protein goes, you need it to put weight on. It will help tremendously with getting your calorie and protein count up. I highly recommend Optimum Nutrion Extreme Milk Chocolate, it tastes awesome and it's one of the highest quality.

If you do those two things, protein and iron, you will be happier than you have ever been.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Don't wear revealing clothes then, that the majority don't really wear
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    First, I would highly recommend that you seek additional help. You might be at a weight you believe to be healthy but it appears that you still have some mental things to work through regarding your weight and comfort level with it. You need to be asking a doctor about your health needs. Look into support groups in your area. I'm sure there are some that are free. It could be beneficial to talk with others going through what you are going through. Second, realize you can wear whatever you want to the gym. Most women do not wear revealing clothes although most wear work out leggings simply because they are more comfortable. Choose what you're comfortable with and what you're able to get a good workout in. Lastly, you don't have to go to the gym. If the gym intimidates you, start with working out at home. Fitness Blender is a good internet resource. Just be very careful and be sure you are eating enough to fuel your workouts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    As far as clothing, I hate that women are allowed to wear yoga pants and sports bras. It's unreasonable to expect me to focus on working out when I have a girl in skin tight pink yoga pants and a bright purple sports bra doing kegel exercises right in front of my face while I'm trying to squat. It's a conundrum because I'm pissed that I'm losing gains, but excited at the fact that she took into consideration that purple is my favorite color.

No! I like the girl in a hoodie, a baseball cap, headphones, sweat pants, and Nikes. It screams serious, and there is a certain attraction in that.

are you for *kitten* real?!?!?!

Get *kitten*. my tight pants and my sports bra are none of your god damn buisness and if you can't figure out how to function in a world full of women wearing fitting clothes YOU need to get to a therapist. Because we aren't going away- and we aren't going to change what we do just so YOU don't get distracted- how about you get some focus.

and none- sweat pants and a hoodie don't scream serious. They scream baggy- and in the way- but that's someone's prerogative- it doesn't bother me at all- but it is FAR from my personal choice of clothing.

Seriously- go away with your sexist bullsh**.

PS- is this serious enough for you?
    IMG_20150627_164650_zpsyemj6iwa.jpg

OP- put your head phones on- go with a training plan- and do your work.

See a therapist- and go do the work at the gym- no one is going to hurt you there- you can do what you need to do and ignore the rest.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

<snip>

Don't feed the troll.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Psssst... I'll tell you a secret.
    I hate the gym. I don't go to the gym except to swim (our gym is the most affordable pool around). I have resistance bands, handweights, a couple kettle-bells, a barbell and a cheap bench (all accumulated over a couple years at a used sporting-goods store) and do all my lifting/weight stuff at home. No one sees me work-out except my husband and my cats. My husband's a great spotter. The cats are not.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

<snip>

Don't feed the troll.

Yeah, that was an obvious one but damn Jo looks good doing 315 there.
  • JoRocka
    Options

<snip>

Don't feed the troll.

I know I know...
    I can't help myself. And I assume that there are ACTUALLY people who believe *kitten* like that- so yeah- sorry not sorry.

<but thank you>
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

<snip>

Don't feed the troll.

Won't argue that. Hell, I can't pull 3 plates, great job Jo!
  • JoRocka
    Options

<snip>

Don't feed the troll.

Won't argue that. Hell, I can't pull 3 plates, great job Jo!

LOL- it's a moment of pride and joy for me- took me almost 2 years to crush that 10 pound mental block. 325 hear we come!!!!

(also- not going to lie- any excuse to post up my 3 plates is a good excuse :D)
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    [...]a girl in skin tight pink yoga pants and a bright purple sports bra doing kegel exercises right in front of my face while I'm trying to squat.[...]

Your gym sounds awesome.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    also- I'm confused as to how someone sees someone doing kegels- I mean- that's an internal muscle contraction- did you put your face in her whoha? was she okay with that- that sounds really personal and all.