Fitbit Flex and calories burned goal

Options
vgarcia0819
vgarcia0819 Posts: 11 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've tried to find this information both here and on Fitbit and having no luck. The default calorie burn goal I got when I set my account up was 2,240 calories. I don't think this is right but don't know what to set it to. Today I've logged almost 10,000 steps and still haven't gotten close to 2,240 cals burned. My MFP intake goal to lose 1 lb/week is 1,300/day. I've lost 35 lbs almost and have at least 20 to go. I'm a 5'4" female and am currently 150 lbs. Should I be setting my fitbit calorie burn daily goal to 1,800 (1,300 + 500) or something else? Thanks!

Replies

• wonderchu
    wonderchu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just looked at how much I was burning on "good" days when I met my step goal and set my goal calorie burn around there.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've tried to find this information both here and on Fitbit and having no luck. The default calorie burn goal I got when I set my account up was 2,240 calories. I don't think this is right but don't know what to set it to. Today I've logged almost 10,000 steps and still haven't gotten close to 2,240 cals burned. My MFP intake goal to lose 1 lb/week is 1,300/day. I've lost 35 lbs almost and have at least 20 to go. I'm a 5'4" female and am currently 150 lbs. Should I be setting my fitbit calorie burn daily goal to 1,800 (1,300 + 500) or something else? Thanks!

Well that's confusing. No way should your calorie goal to lose 1lb a week at 5'4 and 150lbs be that high

Can you go to the website version of MFP and reset it

What activity level did you choose?

Have you enabled negative adjustments on MFP

Looking at fitbit account do you have the same settings: goal loss, time zone etc, have you set your stride length

At 5'8 and 160 I am set to sedentary on MFP ...I need to log 3-4K steps to hit that rating ...

I ignore fitbit numbers and focus on the MFP ones tbh
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mine is exactly the same as yours and is definitely a challenge to achieve each day! Not sure what it is based on, but it was the default.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I set up my Fitbit account, I changed my calorie burn goal from the default to what I actually wanted to burn. You can change it as often as you like, it really doesn't impact anything except turning the bars from blue to green when you meet your goal.

I use MFP for all food-related tracking, so I eat the calories MFP gives me (which do increase sometimes based on activity, as I have sync set up). The calories burnt goal is irrelevant, you can set it to whatever you think will motivate you.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The 2240 calorie burned goal you're referring to, that's on FitBit? I don't recall even setting up a goal for that. I would ignore that.

As others have said, I basically still use MFP for tracking and goal setting. I use Fitbit to provide the data to MFP about my steps and calories burned, so that MFP can calculate the exercise adjustment, but other than that the numbers between the two rarely line up so ignore the things like calories remaining, etc on FitBit.

I would set them to sync, enable negative calorie adjustments, and set yourself at a 0.5 or 1 lb/week loss goal on MFP. Make sure you have a similar setting on FitBit. If you're not regularly getting 10k steps j would set activity level at sedentary. If you do get more daily, and you want smaller calorie adjustments from the Fitbit, you may want to consider lightly active. This will give you a higher baseline of calories to begin with and the adjustments will be smaller, but the end result will be the same whichever way you choose.