New to protein powder

Options
OK, I don't eat a lot of meat so I don't get much protein so I bought whey protein powder. Now my question is how do u take it. Do you take it once a day or only after a workout. Thanks

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I generally use it if I know the other food I'm having throughout the day won't get me to my protein goal. I tend to have a good idea of what I'm going to eat all day at breakfast so I might use it then or at another meal. I don't often use it right after a workout.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of high protein foods besides meat if it isn't your thing. I have one about five days out of the week. They are my grab and go on early morning gym days, and I'll end up having one as an occasional snack or if I'm having a crap food day and my protein is low.

I mix mine with a serving of plain Greek yogurt (water to thin it out), which gives me an even higher protein punch.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I use mine as an afternoon "snack". The one I use gets rather thick and I have it with unsweetened almond milk. I'm using Allmax Nutrition's Hexapro. The decadent chocolate milkshake flavour is absolutely delicious (to me), but right now I'm using the chocolate peanut butter flavour. You don't have to have it at any particular time. Some are more filling than others, but mine feels quite filling, which is why I have it on its own.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want. I put it in food more than I making smoothies with it because I'd rather chew my calories usually.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have it whenever. I like to doctor it up a bit, so vanilla is the way to go for me. Currently, I'm on a kick of powder, 4oz milk, a container of whatever flavored Greek yogurt (light & fit chocolate on top ones are delish), and sometimes some pb2. Shake it up or add ice and blend. ~40g protein and filling enough to replace a meal if I have to.
  • Marikanna
    Marikanna Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use a vanilla one and add 2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa and a natural flaxseed and fibre supplement. Sometimes I add a banana or PB. I have trouble eating enough protein as well - and this satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have it for breakfast and sometimes after a workout. Usually I just mix it with milk, or put in a few drops of vanilla extract if it tastes bitter.
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, I have the peanut butter/chocolate one, didn't taste that great mixed with water. But today I put it in the vitamix and added one cup of unsweetened almond milk and a banana, and it tastes really good that way. Very filling also.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    chuckyjean wrote: »
    thanks guys, I have the peanut butter/chocolate one, didn't taste that great mixed with water. But today I put it in the vitamix and added one cup of unsweetened almond milk and a banana, and it tastes really good that way. Very filling also.

I pack the vitamix with spinach. Then add a scoop of protein, frozen pineapple and dates sweeten it up best. I add 4 strawberries, some mango, half banana, coconut oil and I get my macros. Sprinkle in some chia seeds for texture. It makes about 5 cups (that I freeze).

You can't taste the spinach.

And Popeye!
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I tried spinach, carrot and tomato once. It was horrible. Tasted like grasd
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm not a protein powder fan generally speaking & use high protein whole foods most of the time--lean meats, Greek yogurt, fish, poultry, eggs, etc.

The days I use protein I usually blend 1/2-1 scoop with Greek yogurt, greens, cucumber, broccoli, celery etc., add some fruit my favourite is a frozen banana & some flax/hemp or chia seeds or almond butter or avocado. For protein powder I rotate between whey isolate, hemp & plant protein.
  • darkchocthunda
    darkchocthunda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    chuckyjean wrote: »
    OK, I don't eat a lot of meat so I don't get much protein so I bought whey protein powder. Now my question is how do u take it. Do you take it once a day or only after a workout. Thanks

Protein Powder:
    How: However you wish. You can even snort it if you want. I wouldn't recommend that way though, the nutrient uptake with that method is debatable at best. Most powders go well shaken, not stirred with juice of cow udder. You can even bake with it to get treats like my all time favorite: Ooa3603's Super Chocolate Chip Oats and Protes Cookies!

How Many: Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're looking to gain muscle mass or maintain current mass while losing body fat, then the optimal amount of protein is about 0.75-1 grams of protein per pound of body weight. To maintain mass on maintenance caloric intake 0.5-0.75 grams per pound. These numbers are optimal ranges. They are not concrete. Nothing is concrete, well except concrete. You may need a little less or more. Track how many grams of protein you ingest, and fill in the deficit as required.

When: Again, this depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're looking to gain mass and strength, the optimal time to ingest protein is ALL OF THE TIME!!!!. All right I'm kind of joking. But not really. You want to have a slow and steady stream of protein intake throughout the day to help regenerate broken muscle tissue. Muscular regeneration is a slowish process; your body may still be putting you back together from a workout up to 72 hours ago! Depending on how hard you went. Preferably protein should be ingested about every 3-4 hours (excluding sleep, obviously). This can also include your regular food as well. And if you make sure to get a good source protein with each meal, this isn't hard. But if ya can't , than pre and post workout will do.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have one for breakfast during the week. It's easy to grab and go on my way to work. I put 8 oz of skim milk or unsweetened almond milk in my blender bottle. Then I had one scoop of chocolate protein power and two table spoons of PB peanut butter.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Tuna and cottage cheese (not together) are also great sources of protein. I like Optimum Nutrition protein. Mixes very well and tastes great.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I use 10 grams in my breakfast smoothie. I strive to get 20% protein a day and that 10 grams helps me meet my goal. The rest of my protein I get from my food.

I use Eidopro protein powder bc it's flavorless, so it doesn't change the taste of my green smoothies.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I take one mixed with water in the afternoon and I take another scooped nixed into my oats after my workout.
  • ChestnutChesca
    ChestnutChesca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake before/after my workouts, and sometimes even on rest days if I know my protein intake isn't enough. I usually mix with water to keep my calories down, but my partner adds milk to his and pours it in his cereal at breakfast! We also add 5g of creatine to our shakes to increase our energy and boost our gym performance.
    I am a veggie too and my Personal Trainer agrees that protein shakes are a good source to add to my diet!

Find two flavours you like and alternate them so you don't get bored!

x
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake after a workout. Mine is strawberry flavored and I throw it in my smoothie. Works great for me! I don't eat meat either.
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I add mine to my instant oatmeal.
  • nikkilovessweets
    nikkilovessweets Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders are filled with additives. If you need to supplement to get your recommended daily amount-I would suggest vega. (It has the least amount of additives) I'm not much of a meat eater myself, and I supplement with hemp seeds, etc.