New and so hard to stay on task...

Options
marrufoj
marrufoj Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2016 in Getting Started
Hey guys!!! Joined three days ago, absolutely love this app! However, I've been on my new goal to lose weight for six days and can't seem to shake off these headaches from zero soda intake - will these headaches ever go away blahhh

Replies

• jsrudy
    jsrudy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It takes me a week before they subside, but they should. Keep you eye on the prize
  • marrufoj
    Options
    Hey jsrudy!! Thank you for responding, I appreciate your feedback!! You're absolutely right, focus on the prize indeed =)
    Have an amazing day!
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You might be suffering from caffeine withdrawal. Green tea is a healthy substitute that has a little caffeine to take the edge off of those headaches. Also drink plenty of water.
  • marrufoj
    Options
    Hi toughmudder!! Awesome suggestions, I'm definitely going to try! I truly appreciate your response =)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I agree: a cup of green tea or weak regular tea will take the edges away. Are you avoiding caffeine or soda?
    The trick to long-term focus is finding the right path for yourself, which includes sustainable choices. It takes time but you will find your way. Welcome to MFP.
  • snarfengarfilginger63
    snarfengarfilginger63 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I enjoy unsweetened Matcha Tea Greens by sunny Green...Has a slight lift and calming effect as well. It's a green powder. One Teaspoon for a full cup of tea with only 6 calories. No need to sweeten...*:)
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it might be caffeine withdrawal. If it is, know that it will subside within approximately two weeks, so you can either tough it out and you'll be fine, or you can find another source of caffeine.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I agree. Have some tea. The headache is most likely from caffeine withdrawal. Even if you want to cut back on caffeine I find it is better to wean yourself off of it slowly instead of going cold turkey.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    marrufoj wrote: »
    Hey guys!!! Joined three days ago, absolutely love this app! However, I've been on my new goal to lose weight for six days and can't seem to shake off these headaches from zero soda intake - will these headaches ever go away blahhh

The cool thing is that you will NOT want to go back to it. Keep a big tumbler of water within reach or passing, like at work if that applies, and at home. If you go to a bar ask for soda water with a lemon rather than liquor in soda.
  • marrufoj
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I agree: a cup of green tea or weak regular tea will take the edges away. Are you avoiding caffeine or soda?
    The trick to long-term focus is finding the right path for yourself, which includes sustainable choices. It takes time but you will find your way. Welcome to MFP.

Hi Paytra!! Yes the tea is an absolute great suggestion. I'm actually attempting to avoid soda, not so much the caffeine and come to think of it..I haven't had any caffeine since cutting out sodas - however the green tea will hopefully do the trick! Thank you so much for the welcome =)

• marrufoj
    Options
    I enjoy unsweetened Matcha Tea Greens by sunny Green...Has a slight lift and calming effect as well. It's a green powder. One Teaspoon for a full cup of tea with only 6 calories. No need to sweeten...*:)

Hi Snarf!! Actually I haven't heard of Sunny Green, thank you for the suggestion!! I'll have to check if it's an available item locally =)
  • marrufoj
    Options
    madammags wrote: »
    As others have said, it might be caffeine withdrawal. If it is, know that it will subside within approximately two weeks, so you can either tough it out and you'll be fine, or you can find another source of caffeine.

Hi Madamnags!!
    You're absolutely right..it's definitely a caffeine withdrawal - I read some where of an old remedy to help subside the headaches, drink a cup of water, juice of a lemon and two tsp of sea salt would do the trick.. Tempting, but not so sure of the salt..(although the salt is suppose to help alleviate inflammation causing the headache)
    I'll start with the green tea for now =)
  • marrufoj
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I agree. Have some tea. The headache is most likely from caffeine withdrawal. Even if you want to cut back on caffeine I find it is better to wean yourself off of it slowly instead of going cold turkey.

Hi Kgirl!!
    Indeed it is lol - thanks for responding. I did actually stop cold turkey and probably should've attempted to wean off but was in full blown gung-ho state of mind at the time lol
  • marrufoj
    Options
    ltssharon wrote: »
    marrufoj wrote: »

The cool thing is that you will NOT want to go back to it. Keep a big tumbler of water within reach or passing, like at work if that applies, and at home. If you go to a bar ask for soda water with a lemon rather than liquor in soda.

Hi Itssharon!!
    Thank you for a great suggestion!! Yes, it most definitely applies to work, home, etc. to keep a water tumbler handy =)
    No bars for me, however I think I'll try the soda water from time to time during a dinner outing to keep me from becoming burnout of the typical "Ice water with lemon" drink order lol
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I quit pop which was my only form of caffeine almost 2 weeks ago. For me personally I suffer more from the sugar withdrawals than I do the caffeine which obviously is different for everyone. I have been craving Oreo's like nobody's business. I am hoping it is finally subsiding little by little. Good luck! It is definitely a hard habit to kick. I personally had to go cold turkey because weaning just lead to convincing myself I could have more and more til I was right back where I started.
  • shaheensameer
    shaheensameer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there, how do i know how many calories am i supose to eat, is it the one which is on the food journal and also wat does remaining means on the foodjournal, it keeps varying after i add exercise burned calories, plz help
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hi there, how do i know how many calories am i supose to eat, is it the one which is on the food journal and also wat does remaining means on the foodjournal, it keeps varying after i add exercise burned calories, plz help

Put your stats (age, weight, etc) into MFP. Then enter your weight loss goal (for example, 1lb/week). MFP will calculate how many calories you should eat every day to lose that pound. Eat that many calories every day and you will lose.
    When you exercise, you burn calories that were not in the calculation above. Therefore, MFP will add those calories to your daily allowable calorie amount. The reason is that by using MFP's calculation for weight loss, you are already in a deficit to lose weight and do not need more of a deficit in calories. Therefore, you get to "eat back" the calories you burned during exercise. You'll still be scheduled to lose the 1 lb/week.
    However, it is generally believed that MFP's calorie burns are high. So, if you eat all the calories back, there is a potential to lose weight more slowly. Therefore, most people will lower MFP's calorie burn by half or 1/4. You can do this by manually overwriting the calories burned window when you enter your exercise. For example, if you burned 300 calories, you would overwrite that to about 150-225 and then eat back those calories.

The remaining calories in the diary, are the number of calories you still have to eat today. Try to get as close to 0 as you can.

Here's an example:
    MFP calculates that a person can eat 1500 calories a day to lose 1 lb/wk.
    That person exercises and burns 300 calories (according to MFP) and overwrites that number to 150.
    That person's daily calorie intake for that day would be 1500+150= 1650 to lose 1 lb/week.
    As food is entered into the diary, this number will lower. By the end of the day, the number should be 0.

Hope that helps.