Just Dance Game

Options
Just got done playing Just Dance for the wii for an hour and a half and was pouring the sweat.. Can you lose weight doing this? I'm pretty burned out from the exercise bike.

Replies

• tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I guess technically you could.
    You would be burning "extra" calories vs sitting on the couch.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    If your calorie intake is less than what you burn in a day, you will lose weight. If these exercises help you get there, awesome!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yup- as long as your heart rate is up and your body is moving, of course you can! Doing what's fun to get you moving is far more important than hating to 'exercise'.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    if you have a heart rate monitor, I would wear it and see what you burn! When I did Zumba I burned about 500 calories in an hour. When i do the treadmill I burn about 200 in half an hour. hope that helps!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    oneallmama wrote: »
    Just got done playing Just Dance for the wii for an hour and a half and was pouring the sweat.. Can you lose weight doing this? I'm pretty burned out from the exercise bike.

As long as you eat fewer calories than you burn you can lose weight by watching somebody else play Just Dance.
  • melaniewallacera
    melaniewallacera Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i love that game, its burning calories so it cant hurt right?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a great cardio workout! We played it at school with the kids on a "party" day and then I had to try it on my own at home. HB thought I was nuts, but its fun:)
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Burning calories is good - doing something vs nothing is good - eating less than what you take in is good. All together is good! Can't hurt you, that's for sure!

I do Just Dance as exercise too because it's fun! Why not have fun with your workouts! They also have the sweat mode options in the game where it shows you a rough calorie burn estimate too.
  • carlypi314
    carlypi314 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I throw in some just dance pretty much everyday along withy regular workout for an extra calorie burn.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!!! I only have Just Dance 1... So now I think I need to get the others :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    YEs, i lost tons of weight playing Wii and Xbox games. My favorite was DDR. I got addicted trying to beat my high scores and would play all night and burn about 3-400 calories an hour.
  • turtlesoup1957
    turtlesoup1957 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that question. I have a system and had thought about buying Just Dance but didn't know if I should or not. It looks like fun and not all of us just enjoy excerise. Bought some Billy Blanks Jr. dance workout DVD's but they do a terrible job showing how to do each move. Bought them when he appeared on Shark Tank.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    YEs, i lost tons of weight playing Wii and Xbox games. My favorite was DDR. I got addicted trying to beat my high scores and would play all night and burn about 3-400 calories an hour.

DDR player here, too! I have a bunch of them for the PS2. Whenever I get bored with the song choices, I switch the disks. I do Light Mode while holding weights and trying to incorporate arm movements. :smiley:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »

DDR player here, too! I have a bunch of them for the PS2. Whenever I get bored with the song choices, I switch the disks. I do Light Mode while holding weights and trying to incorporate arm movements. :smiley:

On the Wii, you have to use the hand controls also, so it makes you use your arms. I think i have every DDR disc on all the platforms, and several game pads. i make my friends play when they come over. Hae you seen the videos of the people that get down and hit the pad with their hands also , instead of just their feet? i tried that and its hard!
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I ❤️DDR
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I need to remember clock how many calories burned for a three minute song. I have a Surge, so my watch isn't going solely by movement but my heart rate as well.
    For best results though, do some warm up exercises before dancing, that way your heart rate will be up and stay in the fat burn zone while your dancing.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Okay. I got my results off my Fitbit Surge:

Just Dance 2015
    Calvin Harris - Summer
    3:29 Length
    19 Calories Burned
    3 Minutes Cardio
    1 Minute Fat Burn
    99 bpm (beats per minute) starting heart rate
    136 Average bpm

My workouts before this was weights and a core workout. So by the time I started my heart rate is already up and in the Fat Burn zone.
    It's not just the movement getting your fat burn going but the range of your heart rate too.
    So if you were to just jump in for 15 minutes you won't have much results. But warming up before hand or going 30 minutes to an hour you will "burn fat".
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yes,I lost my first 17 lbs playing the just dance games. that was even before I started MFP or logging and weighing food. still play from time to time when I get bored of all the other workouts lol