• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Forgive me father, for I have scarfed.

Best.

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I was doing so well but I just couldn't take it any more and I binged. I ate 2 pieces of pizza, a pack of corn nuts that has 520 cal., and a big glass of prossesed orange juice. I feel like a failure! What should I do? I don't want to give up on my weight loss journey but I feel like all the progress I made went to the trash in one night.

Well I don't know if there is any difference but I've been trying to stay away from mostly all prossesed food or beverages :/

For me, what would always lead to a binge would be restriction. I would have a bad day, get emotional and go for the one thing that I had been without (and go for a lot of it) because eating is the one thing I could control.

That isn't to say there is anything wrong with trying to stay away from processed foods but maybe you are trying to give up too much too soon. Especially if it's things you love. You can still have all those foods if you wanted them just in moderation. For instance, I had pizza for dinner and I'm still under my calorie allowance for the day so it is definitely possible. I also found for me, that saying something along the lines of oh kayla you have to give up chocolate because it has to much sugar (or whatever the case it was to give up a certain food) and the fact that I loved chocolate - it was just a recipe for disaster. So now, I still have chocolate I just shove it on the scale to make sure I'm getting the right serving size and log it in to my daily allowance. All I'm saying is you don't have to give up the foods you love to reach your goals.

Another thing, never think of yourself as a failure. You are not the only one around here to indulge. I agree with what was previously said. Log it and move on. One bad day will not ruin your progress!

:)

• biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    you didn't binge. you just fueled up for an extra hard workout tomorrow morning

BINGO.

More often than not, when we binge or overeat for whatever reason, this moment becomes a starting point for the inevitable failure that's looming.

You need to change your mindset and perception about how you deal with a situation of overeating. Once you overcome that, not only you'll be able to handle these situations better, but you'll also be able to not binge!

Rather than looking at this even as a failure, look at it as an opportunity. As Cap_Opp mentioned, this is an opportunity for you to use all that fuel to workout the next day!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    stacynoell wrote: »
    Start fresh...not a big deal...its not religion, you don't need to repent...

This!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile to get used to slipping. It also takes awhile to develop good habits and strategies to deal with parties, a box of chocolate given to you, going to the movies, and so on.

We all slip up. Every one of us. Or we haven't been doing this for very long. We have a decade or more of practice at overeating. It takes awhile to not crave our favorite foods, and a lot longer (for forever?) not to occasionally give in to those cravings without thinking/planning. It takes 3500 calories above maintenance to gain just one pound.
  • cobainbuzz
    cobainbuzz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I binged tonight too, iv been doing soo good especially the past five days.... i ate the rest of my kids quesodillas, and then I ate the spaghetti and meatballs that i cooked for the family for dinner.... i also had a margarita. Im bummed out... i dont want to log it, its got to be a ton of calories
  • mgodfrey0202
    mgodfrey0202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    biodigit wrote: »
    you didn't binge. you just fueled up for an extra hard workout tomorrow morning

BINGO.

More often than not, when we binge or overeat for whatever reason, this moment becomes a starting point for the inevitable failure that's looming.

You need to change your mindset and perception about how you deal with a situation of overeating. Once you overcome that, not only you'll be able to handle these situations better, but you'll also be able to not binge!

Rather than looking at this even as a failure, look at it as an opportunity. As Cap_Opp mentioned, this is an opportunity for you to use all that fuel to workout the next day!

I agree with these people from an additional perspective. Your body might've been in need of one of three macronutrients which led you to eat what you ate. For example, re-evaluate your meals and see if you are restricting too much fat. Fat is an important fuel, but where it comes from is also important. See if you can add some nuts or other wholesome source.

On a side note, I used to be able to scarf down 3/4 of a large pizza in one sitting (and the rest after a couple hours of "break") when I was in a binge mode. Haha. I don't do that anymore and am physically unable to do that because how much I can eat has reduced so much. But I allow myself to have a piece once in a while when I'm going out with a group of people. :smile:
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go back to your nutrition plan as soon as possible.
    If you have a flat in one tire, you fix it and move on. You do not slash the other 3 tires and abandon the car.
    We are human and we are prone to fail. We have to learn from our mistakes.
    Good luck in your healthy journey

I love this analogy, I needed to hear this today! Thank you!!!
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Track it, enjoy it, and move on! Sometimes you just need a splurge meal... That doesn't mean you failed! ☺
  • taryninoly
    taryninoly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad! Binges happen- own it and move on :)