Seems impossible

Options
I am 55 and have at least 84lbs to lose. Have lost before but now I can't stay on track more than a few days-- trying again -just putting this out there as it seems it could be impossible and yet I know it's not-but sure feels like it- I am working on reminding myself-one day at a timw

Replies

• ivey5442
    ivey5442 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can do it. One step at a time. Eat healthy and exercise
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm sure 84lbs feels daunting right now. But just keep at it. You can do it! Have you thought about a plant based diet? Watch Forks Over Knives (on Netflix or even on YouTube). There are lots of related documentaries that are very helpful. A plant based diet is not really a diet. It's a lifestyle. It's sustainable. And it's proven to reverse common health issues such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis, acne, MS and even cancer! I hope that you will at least watch Forks Over Knives.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why it stuck for me this time, but some things that are different I suppose is that I started small- change a few things and then when I got used to that changed a few more.
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to mention a plant based diet reverses heart disease! "If the truth be known coronary artery disease is a toothless paper tiger that need never ever exist and if it does exist it need never ever progress."- Dr. Esselstyn
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!! All you need is a calorie deficit! Eat what you like to eat but just less of it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • darkchocthunda
    darkchocthunda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lkleet wrote: »
    I am 55 and have at least 84lbs to lose. Have lost before but now I can't stay on track more than a few days-- trying again -just putting this out there as it seems it could be impossible and yet I know it's not-but sure feels like it- I am working on reminding myself-one day at a timw

It sounds like you went for broke and completely changed what you normally eat. That's the exact opposite of what you need to do to keep the weight off. Eat what you normally eat, track it on myfitnesspal and adjust your caloric intake as necessary throughout the day. You also need to plan the day out. Doesn't have to be specific, but I like to leave more calories in my budget at the end of the day so I can eat whatever.

For example, I'll have whatever I want for breakfast, and happily eat low calorie veggies and salads for lunch so I can have my loaded steak and potatoes at the end of the day. All while logging it and keeping at my daily goal. I'll even have deep fried food too. Just keep tracking.

Also I realized I needed to get out of thinking I needed to be motivated and "feeling like it" to keep tracking and exercising. Monitoring my daily intake and exercising became something I did however I felt at the moment. You wouldn't quit going to work just cause you're feeling down right? Removing my emotions from the equation made these habits permanent.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Lkleet wrote: »

I am 55 as well and have and have 80 lbs to lose. I've done this before and not sure how I got back here. I mean I know how I did it, but it's like on some level I was just denying that I was getting so heavy again. Not sure what woke me up, but when I did I felt panicked. It is a daunting task to lose it. I keep reminding myself that it took a few years to get here so I can't fix it in a day..week...month. like you said....one day at a time.