The dreaded issue of loose skin...dun dun dun

Options
So, I am pretty new here..

I have 2 questions...

1. What determines whether or not you will have loose or hanging skin after a substantial weight loss?

2. How can it be prevented?

Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good question, and I wish I knew the answer...I'll be tracking this thread!
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    Losing slowly and steadily and also regular strength training(about 3x a week) will help. Welcome to MFP and good luck to you!:happy:
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    BUMP
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it can be prevented, and is likely related to how big you are when you start out. AS for preventing or at least improving it, I would say that strenth exercises will probably do the best job.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this article last week and I found it very helpful: http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

If you don't read the whole thing the gist of it is: strength training. The "loose skin" is actually fat, and while you diet and lose fat you inevitably lose muscle too, which causes the skin and fat to sag. In order to minimize that, you must continue to build muscle.
  • ayesha30
    ayesha30 Posts: 43
    Options
    I keep hearing that when you lose the weight slower, the loose skin tones better....I really hope that this is true, because I have a lot in my abdominal area.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It'll help if you lose the weight slowly, stay hyrdated, strength training to build muscle.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure u just have to be constantly toning.. Ab work, weights, etc...
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Causes: losing weight too quickly, like by fasting or weight loss surgery, also not exercising in conjunction with calorie restriction
    Prevention: lose weight at a reasonable rate (1-2 lbs. per week), exercise consistently, drink lots of water to hydrate your skin

This is just based on what I've read. :o) As we get older, our skin loses elasticity, but if we lose weight smartly and take care of our skin, it'll bounce back.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.. everyone has different skin elasticity so there is no guaranteed way to prevent it. I read one time that the longer you have been overweight, the harder it will be to tighten the skin. But I think that it mostly for people that do lipo and get rid of all the fat immediately. With a healthy diet a weight loss plan of 1-2 lbs lost a week, you should be just fine.
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This is what I have learned in all of my research....

Stay properly hydrated. Hydrated skin is elastic skin.

Age plays an important role, as does the amount of time it takes you to lose weight....lose slower, your skin has time to catch up.

Exercise can help with toning and therefore tightening of the tissue under the skin.

AND LAST....It's a bit of a genetic lottery. If good skin elsaticity runs in your family, you may need less or no skin reduction.

The only things you can do to help are DRINK WATER, take omega 3 fatty acid supplements, and TONE MUSCLES!

My plastic surgeon swears by Vitamin E supplements, but then again, he is probably hoping to meet my future plastic surgery needs!

GOOD LUCK!
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Good luck! The only thing that's going to make my loose skin go away is surgery! :'(
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Nicole52501
    Options
    You guys are awesome!! What great info!!

Right now, I drink at least 64oz. of plain water per day and I am taking CLA (aka Tonalin)
    I started at 276 lbs on June 1st, and I and down to approx. 267lbs as of Monday. I have been overweight from about age 13 on, getting increasingly heavier over the years.. My heaviest being at 286 lbs as of January 2010, and by August 2010, I was down to 240. Clearly I have fallen out of my healthy habits...

But hopefully, with your help and support I can get to my ultimate goal weight of 150!!!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you! Thanks again!!!
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I basically think that if you have a ton of weight to lose and are not so young any more, AKA me!, you will have loose skin. I really don't think that all the toning in the world will get rid of all the loose skin I will have when I'm finished losing weight!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I basically think that if you have a ton of weight to lose and are not so young any more, AKA me!, you will have loose skin. I really don't think that all the toning in the world will get rid of all the loose skin I will have when I'm finished losing weight!

I disagree I'm 7 yrs older than you have already lost close to 50lbs
    with 30 plus to go, I'm toning nicely, it can be done.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm also dreading all that stupid loose skin. I put lotion on my tummy every night. The GOOD kind of lotion!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am older and I am taking it slower, trying to drink water, getting lots of exercise and so far so good. Also afterwards give your skin some time to tighten up it may take a while but it does tighten up. Enough? depends but I would wait a while before resorting to surgery. By wait I mean continue to exercise.