A different C25K?

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
I had a moment of nostalgia. Last fall, I remember seeing how our local SPCA was having a 5k run or dog walk fundraiser. I wanted to do it, but didn't think I could do the distance.

Now I have no problem at all running the distance. But the new issue is... my dog. He's a 7 year old Pekingese with three inch legs. Previously, he used to drag me when we went for walks. Now I drag him. He poops out after about two miles.

I think the SPCA 5k is in September or October. I wonder if I can start a CRATE to 5k plan for my little Beavis. He's a rough and tumble little guy, but not exactly an athlete.

IMG_1211.jpg

But I think he'd dig a mud run!

IMG_2933.jpg

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cunning plan! What a great little dog!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Hmm...since a 5k is only 3.1 miles....make him walk the first 2 and then carry him. Create some type of sling or backpack to put him in for the rest of it. Two of my dogs don't go with me anymore...they just can't keep up. Thank goodness my JRT does fine.
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, he's so cute!!! I think you may be onto something! CRATE to 5K! ha ha! I have 2 chihuahuas that may be willing to give it a try! :)
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a MinPin. I used to run 4miles a few times a week. The one time I attemped to take Sampson with me I ended up carrying him the last mile. He was litterly pulling on the leash trying to get me to stop. Be fore him I had a hound. He was an amazing running partner. Even at the end of the run he would be pulling at the leash encouraging me ,"faster, faster Momma"!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I used to have a part husky / part german shepard. She was a ball of energy and the only way I could tire her out was to take her on a 20 minute bike ride.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    i have a rott shepard mix and she poops out long before I do. She even has the nerve to sit or lay down when ever she has had enough...when we are no where near the house! lol. But ever since she injured her doggie knee I am a little scared to take her for long walks again. I don't want her limping all the way back home. So she gets to go up and down the street.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    BEAVIS! Omg best dog name ever. He is totally a Beavis. That is awesome :)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    oooh he is so cute, haha:) I agree, maybe you could carry him!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You may have some luck with running intervals with him. Just like humans, walking helps a dogs heart rate to go down. Also keep in mind that while we wear sneakers, your dog's paws will need a little time to toughen up.

My Australian Shepherd mix used to be able to go forever. She'd be pulling on the leash in the direction away from the house when I was worn out and was heading for home. Now she's 12 1/2 and she is dragging *kitten* after walking a half mile or so.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I could build him up to going the distance. Maybe not running. He can move those short little legs, but I'd worry about his breathing with his smushy face.

The name Beavis suits him entirely too well. Wild blonde hair, underbite with crooked teeth, strange sound effects, and he has "no bunghole." I've checked. I can't find one.

2beavs.jpg