on a mission to lose 50lbs by 23rd of May this year and I need people to be accountable to

Options
Please add me

Replies

• M0nay07
    M0nay07 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great goal..good luck
  • amethyst1973
    amethyst1973 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck, that is a lot to lose in 18 weeks. I was to lose a similar amount but in 25 weeks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're counting on others to lose weight, you're setting yourself for failure.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but your goal is too aggressive. Is there a reason you want it off by then?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I agree that your goal is too aggressive. And if you want someone to be accountable to, just look in the mirror. That's the only way this works.

Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its not a great goal. its unrealistic and youre setting yourself up for failure.

depending on what your stats are, you can TARGET .5- 2 lbs/ week loss IF you accurately weigh and log your food and are diligent (and only you can motivate you if you need external motivation, you don't really want to lose weight and again, are setting yourself up for failure).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Look at my response on the other "Let's lose 50 lbs by June!!!" Is this an epidemic with the newbee's? All of them need to lose 50 Lbs by summer. Where were you guys last year? In a year it's possible. Sorry, but it's not going to happen in a healthy way. Set reasonable goals, and even then it takes dedication. Nobody wants you to fail.
  • ErinR82
    ErinR82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Careful with such a high goal! I think most people abandon their workout and food plans when they aren't getting the results they think they should be.... It's frustrating and not very motivating! Start with a smaller goal and then work your way up... Set yourself up for something sustainable that will push toward success. :) You can do it!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Look at my response on the other "Let's lose 50 lbs by June!!!" Is this an epidemic with the newbee's? All of them need to lose 50 Lbs by summer. Where were you guys last year? In a year it's possible. Sorry, but it's not going to happen in a healthy way. Set reasonable goals, and even then it takes dedication. Nobody wants you to fail.

But the date is now May! Arg. I'm going to lose 50 by tomorrow and then I won't need to worry about it anymore.

Sorry for being snarky, but focus on losing the weight without the date. You will feel wonderful 20 pounds lighter by that date, which is a little more reasonable. Then you can spend the rest of the summer working on losing more.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My plan is to build a time machine, go back in time, and lose 50 lbs by last May.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is meant it jest... But it always seems like there's the 5 stages of MFP....

Stage 1. Unrealistic weight loss goal
    Stage 2. Log indiscrimanately weight stays the same.. Come to conclusion you have a thyroid issue
    Stage 3. Log consistently... Lose weight for 4 months and it stops... Blame "hitting the wall". Relent to buying a food scale on community advice.
    Stage 4. You realize your portion sizes were ridiculous and start losing again.
    Stage 5. You meet your goal weight at about 2-4x the time you initially wanted to get there but you're a lifetime believer now.

Obviously.... Many people quit well before getting to stage 5....
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you have over 100 pounds to lose than 2 pounds per week is doable. If you only have the 50 pounds to lose than .5 to 1 pound per week is more likely.
  • gfjay
    gfjay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have 300 pounds to lose (literally!) to be at a healthy weight. I'm aware it's going to at least 2-3 years to get there. I've decided to ignore outcome goals ("losing X number of pounds") and focus on process goals instead ("I'll work out 4 days per week", "I'll eat 3 cups of vegetables per day", "I will log every single thing I eat into MFP", etc). For those with crazy, unrealistic short-term goals, I suggest googling "process goals vs. outcome goals" to learn the difference, then set up some new goals.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    gfjay wrote: »
    I have 300 pounds to lose (literally!) to be at a healthy weight. I'm aware it's going to at least 2-3 years to get there. I've decided to ignore outcome goals ("losing X number of pounds") and focus on process goals instead ("I'll work out 4 days per week", "I'll eat 3 cups of vegetables per day", "I will log every single thing I eat into MFP", etc). For those with crazy, unrealistic short-term goals, I suggest googling "process goals vs. outcome goals" to learn the difference, then set up some new goals.

You, sir, are intelligent.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Super ideas! I don't love outcome goals and I've been trying to avoid them as well. But process goals are fantastic! I'm a year in and have lost 50 (when I started last January I did have and outcome goal to lose 40, so I exceeded my goal! And without doing anything crazy!!)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    This is meant it jest... But it always seems like there's the 5 stages of MFP....

Stage 1. Unrealistic weight loss goal
    Stage 2. Log indiscrimanately weight stays the same.. Come to conclusion you have a thyroid issue
    Stage 3. Log consistently... Lose weight for 4 months and it stops... Blame "hitting the wall". Relent to buying a food scale on community advice.
    Stage 4. You realize your portion sizes were ridiculous and start losing again.
    Stage 5. You meet your goal weight at about 2-4x the time you initially wanted to get there but you're a lifetime believer now.

Obviously.... Many people quit well before getting to stage 5....

yeah, most quit around stage 2....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is what worked for me. In the back of my mind I wanted to be near goal after about a year, but I wasn't that concerned about the specific date, and I focused on the things I could control and meeting my sensible calorie deficit.

So good plan! ;-) And good for you committing to a long-term plan.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    What's with the deadline?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ditch the timed goal and set yourself some reasonable and realistic goals. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure.

Log consistently and accurately, trust the process and give it time.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you are 500 lbs or so, set more realistic goals.