Coffee: good or bad?

Options
dbrashers
dbrashers Posts: 33 Member
I am a coffee addict. If I don't have coffee by noon, I get a pretty nasty headache and then I'm in a funk the whole rest of the day. I don't need much to get me through the day, but since I'm the only one in my house that drinks coffee, I tend to drink the whole pot brewed (about 4-5 cups).

I don't want to cut coffee out of my diet entirely. Believe it or not, I like the taste and drink it black (so no added calories with cream/milk or sugar). But, is this coffee making me retain water weight? I'm trying to chug water on top of drinking coffee, and all I feel like I'm doing is adding more trips to the restroom!

So does drinking coffee sabotage my weight loss with water weight gain?

Replies

• Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of contradicting info out there about coffee. I say you drink quiet a bit in a day, but like you I drink my coffee black ( which is healthy). Coffee has its benifits, but I think moderation is key with all kinds of foods and drinks. Since you're getting hedaches thats a sign you're body is feaning for coffee.

I used to drink 5 cups a day but now I manage to get by with only 1 cup or 2 a day. I think its best to get your energy from healthy foods rather than just cafiene. I didn't go cold turkey to reduce my coffee intake, I would lower it gradually. Like week 1: 5 cups, Week 2: 4.5 cups, Week 3: 4 cups and so on. :)

So my verdit: Coffee is GOOD, just in moderation. I think doctor Oz did a segment on this but I cant remember how many cups he recommended lol.
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ooops I forgot to say anything about weight loss. Lol caffiene is a natural diuretic, ie it causes water loss. So drink water! But I don't believe it'll make you retain water, rather it will make you dehydrated.
  • ronny23
    ronny23 Posts: 35
    Options
    Im not so sure about its benefits... Believe i come from a coffee culture and my husband loves it... Yet , for a long time i had a belly...i did everything i could to loose it... Then decided to cut coffee from my diet . I have never felt this good...
  • ronny23
    ronny23 Posts: 35
    Options
    Forgot to say: I lost my belly..
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee also. I have about three cups a morning. Sometimes less. I also drink a lot of water in the morning and all day (120-160oz/day).

Its never hampered my weight loss efforts, but I have tried to cut back and sometimes only have two cups a day. I just don't like feeling like I 'need' something to get me going in the morning. I do like it though, so I doubt I stop completely anytime soon.