How bad are flour tortillas?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Switch to whole wheat tortillas :) Imo they taste the same and are healthier
    Healthier in what way? Calories are about the same and one may get more fiber, but other than that, it's not a great step up.

Mission Brand flour tortilla- 140 calories, 24g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 4g protein
    wheat tortilla- 130 calories, 25g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugar, 4 protein
    You could sub a corn tortilla for 50 calories.
    http://www.prevention.com/content/which-healthier-corn-tortillas-vs-flour-tortillas
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP, you might want to look into low carb tortillas. Nothing wrong with regular tortillas, but I actually like low carb ones better and they are only 60-80 calories, and have a lot of protein and fiber too. More expensive but I'll never go back. I love Tumaro's, la Tortilla Factory, and Flat Out.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    foods are not good or bad. they are food.

if it fits in your calorie and macro goals.... go for it....
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I get the low carb wheat fiber flour tortillas from trader joes because they are lower calorie and actually good lol. I'm not low carb at all. They are taco sized for 45 cal for the weight given on the package - however I weigh them because I've never had a flour tortilla be the weight on the package - any brand. The tj ones usually end up 50ish calories. Definitely weigh any flour tortilla no matter the brand.

Most of the time I use corn tortillas and crisp them up myself for tacos or I buy the tostadas.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    OP, you might want to look into low carb tortillas. Nothing wrong with regular tortillas, but I actually like low carb ones better and they are only 60-80 calories, and have a lot of protein and fiber too. More expensive but I'll never go back. I love Tumaro's, la Tortilla Factory, and Flat Out.

Second this. I have no issue with carbs... i simply find some carbs make me feel full... and some carbs add calories and leave me hungry. I find complex carbs tend to have more staying power. If you don't feel hungry and hit your goals... eat whatever you want. If you struggle... I say swap out the simple carbs for more complex carbs.
  • dianamaine
    dianamaine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you do make your own try and use organic corn. All other is genetically modified and if you are going to put the effort into making them why not use better ingredients. Spelt flower is even better. Just trying to be helpful.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Switch to whole wheat tortillas :) Imo they taste the same and are healthier
    Healthier in what way? Calories are about the same and one may get more fiber, but other than that, it's not a great step up.

Mission Brand flour tortilla- 140 calories, 24g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 4g protein
    wheat tortilla- 130 calories, 25g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugar, 4 protein

ITYMTS

Ezekiel 4:9 - Sprouted Grain Tortillas -150 calories, 24g carbs, 5g fiber, 0g sugar, 6g protein

Only slightly better nutritionally (and I grant you, more expensive), but dang, so much tastier, and (to me) more filling.

(I don't dispute your main point, BTW - the difference between equivalent quality/price white and "whole wheat" tortillas is usually negligible. Many of the "whole wheat" ones have a big fraction of white flour anyway.)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I like both wheat and corn tortillas. The flour ones I get locally are 100 cals each (fajita size, smaller than the burrito "wrap" ones). The corn ones I prefer are 50 cals each, but I have to double up on them otherwise they break. So, basically the same either way (small macro difference, but doesn't impact my whole day).

I eat either based on what I have and my mood.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    acheben wrote: »
    Flour tortillas are good. Homemade flour tortillas are even better.

I just might have to try making myself some homemade tortillas. :-)

Two words:
    Labor intensive

Lies. This is the recipe we use and it is super simple: http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/11/01/diy-flour-tortillas/
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    acheben wrote: »
    Flour tortillas are good. Homemade flour tortillas are even better.

I just might have to try making myself some homemade tortillas. :-)

Two words:
    Labor intensive
    Obviously depends on the recipe, but yeah. There's a reason my mom doesn't make them anymore, lol.

Also, corn tortillas. I'd rather have no tortillas :s

• rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love tortillas! I look for the ones with whole wheat or sprouted wheat. Right now Maria and Ricardo sprouted wheat are my favorite -7 G protein per tortilla. I agree with everyone above.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Depending on size, about as bad as a potato, worse than a tomato, and better than an avocado. In short, They're just like any other food with calories, how easily any food can fit within your calorie budget determines how much of it to eat and how often to have it. It's best not complicate foods for now. Just eat things you like that fit into your calories and don't get lost in details and labels of specific foods.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It only takes 2 minutes and 30 seconds to cook old-fashioned oats in the microwave.

• ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have one most days for lunch with ham and a packet of low calorie crisps, approx 190 calories for the tortilla and it's the only bread product that I eat. To be honest, as long as I'm within a good range of my calories, I don't think it's any problem. It's quick and convenient, and if I had to hang around to long whilst making my lunch I will start to pick at everything else in the fridge;) good luck X
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If they fit in calories they're fine. I prefer to use the corn tortillas though. The smaller ones from Mission run a serving size of 3 shells for about 120 cals which is noteably less than the bigger flour tortillas. Steam them and they're pliable and tasty. We made some amazing turkey tacos by baking them over the oven rack for aome nice crunchy shells.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ditto. I have bought ole wellness for years just because it's easier to fit into my calories and the taste is better!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like both wheat and corn tortillas. The flour ones I get locally are 100 cals each (fajita size, smaller than the burrito "wrap" ones). The corn ones I prefer are 50 cals each, but I have to double up on them otherwise they break. So, basically the same either way (small macro difference, but doesn't impact my whole day).

I eat either based on what I have and my mood.

I find that dry frying corn tortillas in a pan keeps them from breaking when I'm making tacos.
  • dianamaine
    dianamaine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love Ezekial 4:9 but did not know they make tortillas! I bet they are amazing! I love their sprouted grain bread....the best is the one in the blue bag. Gotta try that bread if you have not!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I just came in to say, make your own! I did it the first time last month and i seriously cannot stop making tortillas. LOL

They are SO easy, and SO much better than store bought. :sunglasses: