Protein shakes or not ?

Options
I'm a 50 yr man , could do with losing half a stone . I generally go to the gym 5 times a week and always do 30 mins cardio , usually cross trainer , followed by 40 minutes on the weight machines followed by 10 minutes of ab exercises . My question is as above . When I finish my workout should I be looking to have a protein shake ? I do not want to put any weight on . Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Thank you

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you need more protein in your diet?
  • MattyPNE
    MattyPNE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think so but everyone I see at the gym seems to be walking around with a protein shake in their hand
  • MattyPNE
    Options
    I have been feeling a bit sore after the weights and ab exercises and wondered if the the shakes would help
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are to supplement protein.
    If your falling short on meeting your protein goals then have a shake.
    There's nothing magical about them. Its just a way to supplement protein
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    After a hard workout it is good to eat some carbs and protein, typically like 40g carb, 30g protein, This is an easy way to do that and helps with recovery in terms of energy and also helps muscle gain so your body doesn't break down what you have already for food. I do it because often after a hard workout I don't feel like making anything, so scoop in milk and some crackers i'm fine.

If you are lifting hard, they say 2g/kg lean mass is your protein requirement. THat's if you want 100kg with 20%bf, 160g protein. You body only absorbs 40g protein at a sitting so you need to space that out over several meals.

I try to get 30g/meal 4x a day, but I'm trying to cut
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh, 10 minutes of abs, what are you doing for your lowerback, lots of back issues are imbalance issues between the front and the back of your core,
  • MattyPNE
    Options
    I say 10 minutes . It's more like 5 with resting in between ha ha
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are processed food in powder form. Just like white flour is processed grains in powder form. If you feel that you need more protein have real food after workout, it's always better than processed crap. If all you want is to lose weight then consuming more unnecessary food would be kinda counter productive tho.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There's nothing special about protein shakes. They're pretty much just to help you get more protein in your diet. If you think you need more in your diet, go for it. If you calorie limit won't allow it, then it won't help you lose fat so you might need to replace something of equal calories for it.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes have a protein shake after a workout. It always bothers me when people say you don't need it, because you do. If you workout regularly, chances are you're not getting enough protein in your diet. Not only does protein help in recovery, but it also helps you feel full longer so you're not overeating later in the day. You will not gain weight from protein, you'll gain weight from over consuming total calories. Aim for 0.6-1.0 grams per pound of body weight. Good luck
  • rickcoronado81
    rickcoronado81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ^---- I agree with last comment
  • jonoc87
    jonoc87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Protein shakes are to supplement protein.
    If your falling short on meeting your protein goals then have a shake.
    There's nothing magical about them. Its just a way to supplement protein
    Wow, someone who knows their stuff!