Is packing Hubby/kids lunch killing your diet?

I always pack my hubby's lunch, he works long hours so his "lunch" consists of a couple of sandwiches, some fruit, chips, snack pack pudding and on and on.. He likes his PBJ' with the pb and jelly mixed in a bowl then put on the sandwich.

While packing his lunch I tend to eat a couple bites of fruit, if there is pbj mix left ill spread it on a piece of bread and eat a 1/2 sandwich, take a nibble of the meat for his other sandwiches .. just little bites that I never considered counting..until one morning I did...

All those "LITTLE BITES" added up to over 400 calories (as near as i could figure because of course i didn't weigh or measure) NO MORE OF THAT FOR ME

Now I have Identified the problem, and stopped doing it, but just wondering how many people out there are taking these innocent little bites and KILLING their calorie intake for the day

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Yeah...when I start taking nibbles of things I go back to my diary and try to add it. Even if I go over calories for the day, I want the data to be accurate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I stopped all the little bites when I started logging my food. Ok I admit that I typically pack my kids a cookie with their lunch and I've occasionally eaten one too (after breakfast... I know. Sigh), but then I just log it and move on, lol.
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    it's funny, I am not a bad "snacker" and not even really a "sampler" when I am cooking, but something about packing that lunch. I really have to watch myself
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    edited January 2016
    Same reason females who have young kids probably gained weight too. Left overs and prep. It's the "unconscious" eating of calories that many don't account for and yes, they add up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Have a breakfast before you start packing lunch for others. You won't feel like having some extra bites if you already had yours.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I pack lunches for my family every day.
    I make a decision that I won't eat extra snacks or nibbles because they won't fit into my calorie goal. I'd rather spend the 400 calories on a meal rather then nibbling at a bunch of little stuff.
    Every day remind yourself of why you started this process to begin with . ask yourself - will nibbling on this extra sandwich help me get closer to my goals ? Am I willing to give up part of my lunch or dinner in order to fit this extra bit of food ?
  • Francl27
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Same reason females who have young kids probably gained weight too. Left overs and prep. It's the "unconscious" eating of calories that many don't account for and yes, they add up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

OMG leftovers. I never understood this. I would never eat my kids leftovers even if I was starving, because I know exactly where they put their hands!!!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    I always pack lunches when I'm cleaning up the supper dishes -- our lunch is always left-overs. So I'm not hungry or tempted when I'm doing it.

Now, I don't really eat peanut butter, jam or bread, but when I used to, there was never "extra mix". How is that even happening? lol
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    My kids are 6 and 7, they pack their own lunch or they have to eat whatever the school is serving. Packing their lunch is a nice gesture, but maybe they need to help.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    I pack my lunches the night before, usually right after or as I'm cooking supper. I also usually chew sugarless gum while I do it so I don't feel inclined to sample the goods.
  • lynnstrick01
    eating breakfast before packing lunch not an option, he leaves for work between midnight and 3am (crazy schedule) which makes it even worse, munch on all those calories that early in the am, Mind not awake to say "hey don't do that"..

As I said I know it is a problem, so i am being extra careful with it.. main reason for thread is that I kinda wanted to call other peoples attention to It in case they are mindlessly consuming those calories like I was
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

OMG leftovers. I never understood this. I would never eat my kids leftovers even if I was starving, because I know exactly where they put their hands!!!
    Sorry I meant, leftovers from prep. My DD hates crust on bread, so I cut it off....................then eat it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lynnstrick01
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I always pack lunches when I'm cleaning up the supper dishes -- our lunch is always left-overs. So I'm not hungry or tempted when I'm doing it.

Now, I don't really eat peanut butter, jam or bread, but when I used to, there was never "extra mix". How is that even happening? lol

as I said my husband has this thing, He likes his peanut butter and jelly PRE MIXED in a bowl, then spread on the sandwich, .. the likes it that way so that is what I do but there is always a little left in the bowl
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    eating breakfast before packing lunch not an option, he leaves for work between midnight and 3am (crazy schedule) which makes it even worse, munch on all those calories that early in the am, Mind not awake to say "hey don't do that"..

As I said I know it is a problem, so i am being extra careful with it.. main reason for thread is that I kinda wanted to call other peoples attention to It in case they are mindlessly consuming those calories like I was

It sounds like you might be able to really benefit from doing this the night/evening before then.
  • lynnstrick01
    NO, the bread tends to get dry on his sandwiches if I do it night before.. as I said this is not so much a cry for help as it is just a "hey have you done this" kind of discussion
  • kishadj
    kishadj Posts: 1 Member
    Funny, that's how I like my pb&j. Never heard of anyone else like that.
  • lynnstrick01
    "it was just so MIND BLOWING for me when I realized it, i thought maybe a lot of others out there doing same thing without thinking..

so far seems like I was the only DUMMY, not thinking about it. dah
  • Francl27
    "it was just so MIND BLOWING for me when I realized it, i thought maybe a lot of others out there doing same thing without thinking..

so far seems like I was the only DUMMY, not thinking about it. dah

You're far from alone lol. I know so many people who say 'I don't eat anything I don't understand why I can't lose weight' but they take small bites here and there and don't realize how much it adds up...
  • lynnstrick01
    kishadj wrote: »
    Funny, that's how I like my pb&j. Never heard of anyone else like that.

I never did either till I met him, But they really are better that way..
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited January 2016
    DRink coffee, diet soda or tea as you do it and whenever you are tempted take a sip