on a mission to lose 50lbs by 23rd of May this year and I need people to be accountable to

Options
2»

Replies

• Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is meant it jest... But it always seems like there's the 5 stages of MFP....

Stage 1. Unrealistic weight loss goal
    Stage 2. Log indiscrimanately weight stays the same.. Come to conclusion you have a thyroid issue
    Stage 3. Log consistently... Lose weight for 4 months and it stops... Blame "hitting the wall". Relent to buying a food scale on community advice.
    Stage 4. You realize your portion sizes were ridiculous and start losing again.
    Stage 5. You meet your goal weight at about 2-4x the time you initially wanted to get there but you're a lifetime believer now.

Obviously.... Many people quit well before getting to stage 5....

well said
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Setting deadlines for aggressive weight loss goals is what makes people come back to weight loss every single January.

You only need to start losing weight whenever you're ready, accept that weight fluctuates and realize that weight loss can be a really slow process. It might take a year or more to lose even 50lbs, depending on the starting weight. No need for New Year's resolutions or "Oh no, I ate this forbidden item on my diet, better start again next month!"
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    My plan is to build a time machine, go back in time, and lose 50 lbs by last May.

LOL
    That is probably a more reasonable goal than the OP's

• Eddie__Jones
    Options
    How much do you weigh today? What is your TDEE? How many calories do you plan to eat per day?

at one pound per week you might lose 50 pounds by new years day 2017
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Should have set this goal in August when you joined.

It took me 12 months to lose 18 pounds in 2015.

For 2016? I am hoping for 12.
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is meant it jest... But it always seems like there's the 5 stages of MFP....

Stage 1. Unrealistic weight loss goal
    Stage 2. Log indiscrimanately weight stays the same.. Come to conclusion you have a thyroid issue
    Stage 3. Log consistently... Lose weight for 4 months and it stops... Blame "hitting the wall". Relent to buying a food scale on community advice.
    Stage 4. You realize your portion sizes were ridiculous and start losing again.
    Stage 5. You meet your goal weight at about 2-4x the time you initially wanted to get there but you're a lifetime believer now.

Obviously.... Many people quit well before getting to stage 5....

Haha - this is scarily accurate.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Options
    gfjay wrote: »
    I have 300 pounds to lose (literally!) to be at a healthy weight. I'm aware it's going to at least 2-3 years to get there. I've decided to ignore outcome goals ("losing X number of pounds") and focus on process goals instead ("I'll work out 4 days per week", "I'll eat 3 cups of vegetables per day", "I will log every single thing I eat into MFP", etc). For those with crazy, unrealistic short-term goals, I suggest googling "process goals vs. outcome goals" to learn the difference, then set up some new goals.

thanks for those very wise words.