How to deal with girlfriend ruining my diet?

Options
124»

Replies

• mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with the posters that recommend getting half (or however much you deem appropriate) boxed straight from the beginning. I used to feel like I had to eat everything all the time as well. I was raised to *never* waste food. It took a lot of training on my part to stop that habit. So if you go out to eat, plan to only eat a set amount and the rest will be your lunch the next day. If your girlfriend doesn't want hers, have hers boxed up and that is two lunches for you! I do that a lot with my husband...he doesn't like leftovers much so I take his to work for lunch too.

You can make eating out work for you, but obviously it is easiest to avoid temptation in the first place. I love it when my husband cooks a nice, healthy meal for me :smile: You can do that for your girlfriend too, I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

Try not to beat yourself up too much! We all make mistakes and you are here because you recognize and want to alter your behavior. You've had some great suggestions, now just put it into practice! It is so liberating to feel like you have control over how much you eat, not just eat what's on front of you...you will get there too!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What I've found works for me (and I'm a volume eater) is eating a LARGE amount of low calorie foods with each meal. For example, greens, salad, snap peas, carrots, cherry tomatoes, head of broccolli or cauliflower.

This allows me to really go to town and not hit my calories.

Or, you could eat foods that are more satiating such as foods high in protein and fat.

Firstly though I think you need to figure out if your issue is psychological or physical. If it's physical do what I said above. If it's psychological I think you need to find the underlying issue or work on ways to help control the problem. Things like setting a timer for eating, setting half the portion from a restaurant in the to go container as soon as you get it, not eating in social situations like restaurants, etc.